OMG dropped/lost iPhone off motorcycle.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Wow, can't believe what just happened. Was out for a (short) ride on my bike and stopped at a mini-mart just before I got home. I stopped for a few AAA batteries that I was supposed to pick up earlier.

Soon after I left the parking lot I noticed I didn't have my sunglasses and turned right around, jumped inside the mini-mart, only to find the clerk smiling and waving my sunglasses at me. Jumped back on the bike and rode home.

After arriving home I reached for my iPhone and it was gone! It had been in its Belkin belt holder--the case was gone too.

In a daze I jumped back on the bike, not knowing where the phone was (in the street?, at the mini-mart?, at a prior location?!) I flew back to that mini-mart at lightning speed.

I was certain the odds were not in my favor. Indeed a few weeks prior I dropped my Treo at an intersection and someone actually found it and used it to call me for its retrieval, Treo intact. No way did I expect to luck out twice!

Ran into the mini-mart and with much apprehension asked if they had seen my phone. The same clerk who 5 minutes earlier returned my sunglasses handed me my iPhone. I was literally in shock. She said the guy who returned it saw it fly off of me as I rode out of the parking lot. Wow.

Looks like the only damage is a "dimple" on the back top-left corner (not on the front, on the aluminum). Thankfully no other damage. I should note this is the second drop, the other leaving a (smaller) dimple in the other corner. Hopefully these minor scars will teach me a lesson. Don't think my luck will hold out if I do this again.

(I typed this on my iPhone as punishment.)

--
Mike

stiphone

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Wow, can't believe what just happened. Was out for a (short) ride on my bike and stopped at a mini-mart just before I got home. I stopped for a few AAA batteries that I was supposed to pick up earlier.

Soon after I left the parking lot I noticed I didn't have my sunglasses and turned right around, jumped inside the mini-mart, only to find the clerk smiling and waving my sunglasses at me. Jumped back on the bike and rode home.

After arriving home I reached for my iPhone and it was gone! It had been in its Belkin belt holder--the case was gone too.

In a daze I jumped back on the bike, not knowing where the phone was (in the street?, at the mini-mart?, at a prior location?!) I flew back to that mini-mart at lightning speed.

I was certain the odds were not in my favor. Indeed a few weeks prior I dropped my Treo at an intersection and someone actually found it and used it to call me for its retrieval, Treo intact. No way did I expect to luck out twice!

Ran into the mini-mart and with much apprehension asked if they had seen my phone. The same clerk who 5 minutes earlier returned my sunglasses handed me my iPhone. I was literally in shock. She said the guy who returned it saw it fly off of me as I rode out of the parking lot. Wow.

Looks like the only damage is a "dimple" on the back top-left corner (not on the front, on the aluminum). Thankfully no other damage. I should note this is the second drop, the other leaving a (smaller) dimple in the other corner. Hopefully these minor scars will teach me a lesson. Don't think my luck will hold out if I do this again.

--
Mike
Wow! Lucky man! I don't normally have the good fortune of someone returning my lost items...:( But I'm happy for you. I know what you must have felt when you first found out that your iPhone is missing. I know that feeling too well. That's why I'm holding on very tightly to my iPhone now!

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
wowww man i thought you didn't get it back before reading this that would suck but luckily the guy that found it was nice enough to return the iPhone to the right people. i don't know much people who would do that for a 600 phone lol you got really lucky. but dude that would suck so much if you couldnt find it. 600 dollars down the drain

jacjac2

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Texas
Tinman, It is good to hear there are still others out there that are honest and want to do what is right. I am glad you got it back. I hope that if this ever happens to me, I have the same good luch you had. By the way, did you have a passcode on the phone. I have placed one on mine.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
By the way, did you have a passcode on the phone. I have placed one on mine.
I don't understand the passcode. Is this really a deterrent to steal the phone? Is anyone really going to stick a gun in your face and go, "GIVE ME YOUR iPhone! Oh, uh, by the way, it doesn't have a passcode on it does it?" They'll just take it and then later at home, notice it has a passcode and either hack it or just be pissed and sell it to some poor soul on ebay.

Is there some other value to the passcode that I don't see?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I blame Belkin! I have the Belkin slip holster that has a belt clip on it that I got at AT&T and SEVERAL times as I sit down in the car the holster and all plops right off my belt. I'm in a the market after hearing your story ontop of my experiences, too!

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Moral to this story? Screw external cases! Put the thing in your pocket, preferably one without a hole. :p

I'm glad you got your phone back.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I blame Belkin! I have the Belkin slip holster that has a belt clip on it that I got at AT&T and SEVERAL times as I sit down in the car the holster and all plops right off my belt. I'm in a the market after hearing your story ontop of my experiences, too!
Yeah Tinman, I agree with OJsakila, ditch that Belkin slip holster. I can't tell you how many stories like yours I have heard. Stick the thing in your pocket, you'll be thankful you did (or upset you didn't)!

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
I don't understand the passcode. Is this really a deterrent to steal the phone? Is anyone really going to stick a gun in your face and go, "GIVE ME YOUR iPhone! Oh, uh, by the way, it doesn't have a passcode on it does it?" They'll just take it and then later at home, notice it has a passcode and either hack it or just be pissed and sell it to some poor soul on ebay.

Is there some other value to the passcode that I don't see?
yeah im with you on that except my con is that if you have a passcode and you DO loose it that just blows the chance of the person contacting you from your phone (like the thread starter mentiond for his old phone) or answering it when you call to see if someone found it. if theres a lock on it than they cant do any of the above. and like wildonrio said im sure if someones is pllanning on stealing it and they see it locked there not going to be like oh its locked nvm and put it down.. there gonna do everythingin there power to unlock it

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Wow! Lucky man! I don't normally have the good fortune of someone returning my lost items...:( But I'm happy for you. I know what you must have felt when you first found out that your iPhone is missing. I know that feeling too well. That's why I'm holding on very tightly to my iPhone now!
Yep, you can bet I will be too!

And aside from that Treo incident--which was even stranger--I don't usually have that kind of luck. The Treo wasn't even in a case--it popped out of its belt holster. I don't think this time anyone bothered to take it out of the case. I asked the clerk if the guy who returned it left his name--figured I owed him something--but she said no. When I said it was a $600+ device (hey, the case was $30!) she looked shocked.

I also started to catch myself getting peeved at the "dimple" but soon as I realized how REALLY pissed I would be had the alternative occurred I knew that was nothing to stress over at all (but I'll post a pic).

As for passcode, yes it was on. (It's not really a theft deterrent, just something to keep my personal info out of the hands of anyone who finds it.)

About the Belkin case, yep I'm done with it. I was temped to mention that I thought it shouldn't have come off so easily (and it clipped to my belt, not just pants or a pocket) but didn't wanna come off like I was blaming someone else. For sure I need to be more careful, especially on the bike. But that case still sucks, IMO!

--
Mike

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Yep, you can bet I will be too!

And aside from that Treo incident--which was even stranger--I don't usually have that kind of luck. The Treo wasn't even in a case--it popped out of its belt holster. I don't think this time anyone bothered to take it out of the case. I asked the clerk if the guy who returned it left his name--figured I owed him something--but she said no. When I said it was a $600+ device (hey, the case was $30!) she looked shocked.

I also started to catch myself getting peeved at the "dimple" but soon as I realized how REALLY pissed I would be had the alternative occurred I knew that was nothing to stress over at all (but I'll post a pic).

As for passcode, yes it was on. (It's not really a theft deterrent, just something to keep my personal info out of the hands of anyone who finds it.)

About the Belkin case, yep I'm done with it. I was temped to mention that I thought it shouldn't have come off so easily (and it clipped to my belt, not just pants or a pocket) but didn't wanna come off like I was blaming someone else. For sure I need to be more careful, especially on the bike. But that case still sucks, IMO!

--
Mike
If the dimple is going to drive you crazy, you could probably just take it back to the Apple store and complain about something stupid like the battery and they'll just give you a new one.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yeah im with you on that except my con is that if you have a passcode and you DO loose it that just blows the chance of the person contacting you from your phone (like the thread starter mentiond for his old phone) or answering it when you call to see if someone found it. if theres a lock on it than they cant do any of the above. and like wildonrio said im sure if someones is pllanning on stealing it and they see it locked there not going to be like oh its locked nvm and put it down.. there gonna do everythingin there power to unlock it
You know I didn't think about that. I normally had a similar lock set on my Treo, but the day I lost it for some reason I had that feature turned off (OK, I gotta play the lottery!). But you are right, had it been on there wouldn't have been an easy way for the finder to contact me (he said he saw the green phone button, recognized it, and pressed it till it made a call; just so happens that is redial and the last call I had placed was to my home). Had it been locked the only thing he could have done is place a 9-1-1 call.

--
Mike

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL

--
Mike
LOL...mike man...i don't know if you gotta relationship w/God dude, but He definitely showed you some serious, no...srrrrrus! mercy...man!that's a krazy testimony man!...you betta start puttn that phone in a back pack or somethn...that icase slip joint will be good man...you paid too much money for that phone to be droppn it like man!...the treo yes, but the iPhone NO!...take heed my friend...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The damage...

As promised here is a pic of the damage. The opposite corner's ding/scratch was from another fall, about 3' onto ceramic tile. It's less noticeable in person, though still noticeable to me. Fortunately no other damage, especially to the screen. And much better than the alternative. (Still seems like this is a bit more fragile than my Treo, which was dropped 2 dozen times before getting a scratch. ;))

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator: