OMG... help please!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 29, 2007
Ok so first let me start of by saying that I'm not very computer savvy and definitely not iPhone savvy...

And I wanted to get ringtones on my iPhone and so I was downloading the iPhoneRingToneMaker but I have a 1.1.1 version on my iPhone so I was following the instructions on how to downgrade it and I was on the step where I downloaded a lower version of iTunes and then I plugged in my iPhone and then I had to go somewhere and could not complete the instructions so I unplugged my iPhone from the computer

And my screen was black at that time so I just assumed it was off but then I tried to turn it on and when it did turn on, there was a picture of an iPod USB wire pointing to the iTunes symbol most likely indicating that I should plug it back into iTunes

But now even when I do, nothing pops up on my computer and when I unplug it, I still only get to that screen and I don't know what to do

And I really do not want to reset my phone because I have some important pictures and contacts on my phone that I cannot lose

PLEASE HELP ME

I cannot afford to have my phone not work

Thank you for your time

Oct 29, 2007
Yupp I did restart it and it still doesn't work. And no it doesn't show up on iTunes

I followed all the instructions on http://www.efksoft.com/products/iPhoneringtonemaker/downgradeiPhone111to102tutorial.htm
to downgrade and everything happened that was supposed to except for the very last step where it says that iTunes should start loading the iTunes store and then it should restore my iPhone

I'm soo confused.... what do I do?

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Welcome to the EIP Forums!

Wish I could help you, all I could tell you is take it back to the store....some help I am huh?;)

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
You will not loose anything by doing a reset. Hold the sleep/wake button (on the top) along with the home button until the Apple logo appears and the phone shuts itself off. You can then turn it back on and all should be well again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Ok so first let me start of by saying that I'm not very computer savvy and definitely not iPhone savvy...

And I wanted to get ringtones on my iPhone and so I was downloading the iPhoneRingToneMaker but I have a 1.1.1 version on my iPhone so I was following the instructions on how to downgrade it and I was on the step where I downloaded a lower version of iTunes and then I plugged in my iPhone and then I had to go somewhere and could not complete the instructions so I unplugged my iPhone from the computer

And my screen was black at that time so I just assumed it was off but then I tried to turn it on and when it did turn on, there was a picture of an iPod USB wire pointing to the iTunes symbol most likely indicating that I should plug it back into iTunes

But now even when I do, nothing pops up on my computer and when I unplug it, I still only get to that screen and I don't know what to do

And I really do not want to reset my phone because I have some important pictures and contacts on my phone that I cannot lose

PLEASE HELP ME

I cannot afford to have my phone not work

Thank you for your time
I had a similar problem a few days ago when I was messing around with the 1.1.1 firmware. I only got the Apple logo to appear on my phone and it wouldn't respond to anything else. I read around and finally got my phone to display the same thing you're seeing and the only step you can do from there is restore. I know it's really really unfortunate but I found no work around to it anywhere online and just had to bite the bullet. Apparently your computer isn't responding though which really doesn't make sense. I had to do a series of steps to get the Apple logo off of my phone including holding down the power and home buttons at the same time and then releasing just the power button and finally I got the logo you're seeing to appear. Maybe you should try turning off the phone and then doing the same thing I did. Also, a computer restart seems to be necessary.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
Let me just mention, and this may be too late, that if you're not completely sure of what you're doing, it can be dangerous to mess with the firmware of your iPhone. Certainly if you try, never interrupt the process in the middle, or you may brick your iPhone. Just because there's software out there to hack an iPhone doesn't mean you'll pull it off, certainly if you disconnect your iPhone in the middle. No one wants to be a cautionary tale, so I hope the OP gets it working again.

For the rest of the potential iPhone modders out there, know what you're doing, know the risks, and know that the Apple geniuses may laugh at you when you try to get them to fix your now-warranty-voided rectangle.

-K

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
You will not loose anything by doing a reset. Hold the sleep/wake button (on the top) along with the home button until the Apple logo appears and the phone shuts itself off. You can then turn it back on and all should be well again.
I take it back, I didn't realize that you were trying to mod your phone, sorry. I can't be of any help with that but good luck!