OMG Purchaser of my V1 re-locked it, asking for help!

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
Lol, too funny in a way. Nice Italian man visiting the states paid top dollar ($610) in an auction for my new, unlocked V1. It was delivered yesterday morning, he was very happy, but I get a frantic email this morning saying that last night he connected to iTunes and did an "automatic update" and now his new iPhone is dead.

I asked him for more info, because I'm not sure what 'dead' means, but it sounds like he updated to 2.0 and relocked. Still, I'm not sure that should have 'killed' the phone - maybe just the ability to connect to his network. I dunno, yet.

He wants to send the phone back to me for repair before he returns home on 8/8.

Downgrading to 1.1.4 and unlocking again is a royal PITA, but if that's the problem, I will do it for him. Maybe I will try using the 2.0 unlock this time around - it wasn't available last week when I hacked it the first time.

Anyone heard of someone else doing this?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Wow. You are so nice to take care of this for him.

But with the Pwnage tool, you can unlock and jailbreak 2.0 on a V1, so that might just be easier for you at the moment if he's okay with it...

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
I got the phone back on friday and unlocked it with Pwn tool with 2.0 this time. So he gets a significant upgrade for his mistake (plus trouble and expense of shipping it back to me).

I wrote him with very specific instructions this time around about never never never upgrading the software unless he is prepared to unlock it again. I also added an explanation of Cydia and a warning about the apps available through it. This guy needs to be a little more savvy if he is going to swim in these waters...

I'll feel better when he is safely back in Italy, lol.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow, dude got his money's worth! Nice work...

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
damn, you're a nice guy, i would have did it for a fee or told him to go piss in the wind.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
YOU did a really nice thing for that guy. No, you didn't *have* to do it and sure, you might have been able to make him pay for the service. Personally, I think you'll be better served by the good karma. (Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket or something just in case..)

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Haha i would have done the same thing as you! (well i would make him pay for shipping, but he did that anyways right?)

but that is good that you did what you did. maybe you should tell him how to unlock it incase he ever wants to update it.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
YOU did a really nice thing for that guy. No, you didn't *have* to do it and sure, you might have been able to make him pay for the service. Personally, I think you'll be better served by the good karma. (Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket or something just in case..)
Lol I can use all the good karma I can get to help balance the equation...

But it works both ways. The guy had a good attitude, was really upset about what he had done, hadn't tried to blame me for not instructing him better, etc. And I thought he had paid enough for the phone initially to be entitled to good customer service. And, I had the opportunity to learn how to unlock an iPhone two different ways.

Thanks y'all for the props tho :)

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I gave you some actual props, because there aren't too many people in the world who would do this. Nice to know you are one of them.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Me too, you're a nice person. We need more people like you in this world.:)

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
props to the OP...i would have done the same especially after he paid as much as i did a year after the phone was released...i went through a similar situation when i sold my nextel phone a few years back (5?)and me and the same kid actually became pretty good associates to this day...