On A Family Plan. Family can't pay, I think I know what to do but want input.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

masond24

Jul 25, 2007
Hello,

I put my iPhone on my parents family plan to save my # (had it since 2003). Now my parents are in a financial bind and cannot pay their end of the plan (I have paid their end for 3 months). I cannot pass the credit check to remove my line from the plan so... I guess I need prepaid. My phone was activated back in July. I think If I restore and just pick "restore as new phone" it will let me activate as prepaid. Correct? As well, anyone who uses prepaid what are the plans? i need m2m if possible. Thanks for the input everyone.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I could be wrong but I think that if you pull your phone off of that account you will be forced to pay the early termination fee. You should call AT&T.

chris201

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
I could be wrong but I think that if you pull your phone off of that account you will be forced to pay the early termination fee. You should call AT&T.
+1. Your part of their contract they probably had to sign a contract extension therefore your bound to that contract.

masond24

Jul 25, 2007
Let me clarify

I wanted to take over the contract for my phone, ATT won't let me. Therefore I will lose my number once the phone is shutoff. So... what I wanted to know is: Will the iPhone after restore be able to be reactivated? I assumed it can from reading earlier posts just wanted a solid answer before I restore the phone to "out of the box". Then I will place the phone in my name on a prepaid acct. The contract is not a big deal my parents are breaking it, not me.

Thanks for the replies

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Have you called ATT or gone to a store to ask someone? My local ATT store employees are very friendly. They can probably tell you your options. I think one of the posters here works for ATT- maybe he will answer. I am sorry for the financial stress. I hope everything works out for you and your family.

raoser

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Hello,

I put my iPhone on my parents family plan to save my # (had it since 2003). Now my parents are in a financial bind and cannot pay their end of the plan (I have paid their end for 3 months). I cannot pass the credit check to remove my line from the plan so... I guess I need prepaid. My phone was activated back in July. I think If I restore and just pick "restore as new phone" it will let me activate as prepaid. Correct? As well, anyone who uses prepaid what are the plans? i need m2m if possible. Thanks for the input everyone.
=========================================

I agree with the other poster about ATT potentially providing you the info you need about this. A couple of questions...are your parents defaulting on the account or are they able to pay out their balance and ETF and close out the account? Are you able to pay for the line if they are off the account and you only are paying for your primary line?

I don't know if they will charge you an ETF though if you try to go to prepaid now. I would definitely talk to someone at the store or see if you can find a knowledgeable rep on the phone (need in a haystack, I know) because this is a complex scenario. They may be able to approve you for your own line if you put down a bigger deposit instead of going prepaid which is going to be a lot less economical in the long run.