On Button Stuck

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

nakdash

Jun 30, 2007
My phone was dropped and now the on button is stuck. Has anyone had any problems with that? Know how to fix it? Should I take it back to the store?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
My phone was dropped and now the on button is stuck. Has anyone had any problems with that? Know how to fix it? Should I take it back to the store?
Yeah, you would probably need to get that serviced. In which case, if they can tell it's been dropped, then they're probably going to want to charge you for the service. Sorry. :(

nakdash

Jun 30, 2007
Now, it didn't drop from my hand. I had it in its holster and it popped out and fell to the floor. Will they still charge me for the service even though it was not neglect, but the cheaply designed holster that they sold me?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Now, it didn't drop from my hand. I had it in its holster and it popped out and fell to the floor. Will they still charge me for the service even though it was not neglect, but the cheaply designed holster that they sold me?
the cheaply designed holster that *they* sold you? did someone at the store *make* you buy it? caveat emptor - it's not Apple's fault that the holster YOU CHOSE TO BUY didn't hold your iPhone in 100% of the time.

you're right - it's not neglect, it was an accident (an event that that occurred unintentionally and unexpectedly) based on what you described. and the iPhone's warranty clearly does not cover accidents. i know it sucks that getting this fixed will cost you money, but there's no legitimate reason for you to get a replacement or to get it fixed for free, and i can't understand how you could even think this would be possible...

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
the cheaply designed holster that *they* sold you? did someone at the store *make* you buy it? caveat emptor - it's not Apple's fault that the holster YOU CHOSE TO BUY didn't hold your iPhone in 100% of the time.

you're right - it's not neglect, it was an accident (an event that that occurred unintentionally and unexpectedly) based on what you described. and the iPhone's warranty clearly does not cover accidents. i know it sucks that getting this fixed will cost you money, but there's no legitimate reason for you to get a replacement or to get it fixed for free, and i can't understand how you could even think this would be possible...
There is a possibility.....my screen developed a bad pixel (theoretically by a kid jumping on it, while in my pocket). Apple replaced it, no questions asked.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
There is a possibility.....my screen developed a bad pixel (theoretically by a kid jumping on it, while in my pocket). Apple replaced it, no questions asked.
you're right - it seems like Apple is being quite generous with returns and exchanges from what's been posted here and on other forums i visit. i simply get irritated by people who want something for free when they have no reasonable and logical reason to expect it and/or push blame off on someone or something else...

did you tell them that the bad pixel might have been caused by a kid jumping on it while it was in your pocket and *still* get a new one?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
you're right - it seems like Apple is being quite generous with returns and exchanges from what's been posted here and on other forums i visit. i simply get irritated by people who want something for free when they have no reasonable and logical reason to expect it and/or push blame off on someone or something else...

did you tell them that the bad pixel might have been caused by a kid jumping on it while it was in your pocket and *still* get a new one?
Well, heck no I didn't tell them that. I wasn't sure what caused it. That's just my speculation, as I was giving Apple's hardware the benefit of the doubt....

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
ah. yeah, that's what i was guessing! i couldn't see them giving you a new one if you had and would have been really surprised if so...
Well, that's just my own assumption. I was only speculating that was the cause of the issue, as I didn't' have any other explanation for it. The kid didn't actually "jump" directly on it, just near it. I don't know why or how it suddenly developed that dead pixel, and if Apple would have wanted me to pay for it, and could somehow prove it was my fault, I would have been understanding.

Errk!

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Yep. I took my MacBook Pro in for service the other day and there was a guy there bringing his iPhone back for just that. They did replace it, but i didn't hear how it got stuck.

nakdash

Jun 30, 2007
I am sorry, but I bought the holster product with the intention that something like that would never happen. Honestly, wait until something like that happens to you and then you'll ***** about how Apple can't cover accidents.

I am going into the store today with the intention that they can service it or replace it. If the screen broke, i can understand..but its a stuck button. I can't even turn it on whereas the scratch or broken screen would just be a bother rather than a function problem.

Errk!

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I am going into the store today with the intention that they can service it or replace it.
They would replace it. The Apple Genius dealing with the guy who brought his stuck button back told him that they aren't doing repairs for things like that because it had only been a couple weeks.

That's assuming they will do anything. You may have bought a holster to protect it, but the fact remains you still dropped it. That's not Apple's fault, and they are under no obligation to fix your mistake.