On the Bubble, What Should I Do?

kirkf

Feb 1, 2008
I have been lurking around here viewing the many comments concerning whether to buy an original iPhone or wait for the version 2. I want so badly to purchase one TODAY but as soon as I read a post about purchasing one now, I will read a post that says to wait for version 2. I cannot make up my mind. Should I buy now or wait many, many, many months for version 2. Then if I wait, was it worth it? PLEASE HELP ME WITH A DECISION!

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
If I were you, I would go straight to the Apple store and get one of 'em. No second thoughts.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
I would also go straight to the Apple store. You will have no regrets at all, it is the most amazing phone/device I have ever used and I do not regret my decision at all.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Yeh I would get one now. Even if Apple release an iPhone 2.0 soon they will still continue to release updates for the iPhone v1 just like they still release updates for PowerPC macs from years ago.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
In hind site I would pass. I think the phone is still has some aspects that need to mature, such as the lack of cut/paste (their version of MMS is a joke as well), no flash (it is far from the internet in your pocket), no search, no native apps (should see a change soon) - but worst of all the phone is only a fair phone. Seriously, if you NEED this phone and it will impact your life this might not be the phone for you. I use this as my work phone and its lack of reliability as a phone has now caused my company to stop paying my plan as a work phone. ATT is not very good (I am in a heavily covered area in SLC, Utah) as a service provider. Just a warning.

kirkf

Feb 1, 2008
In hind site I would pass. I think the phone is still has some aspects that need to mature, such as the lack of cut/paste (their version of MMS is a joke as well), no flash (it is far from the internet in your pocket), no search, no native apps (should see a change soon) - but worst of all the phone is only a fair phone. Seriously, if you NEED this phone and it will impact your life this might not be the phone for you. I use this as my work phone and its lack of reliability as a phone has now caused my company to stop paying my plan as a work phone. ATT is not very good (I am in a heavily covered area in SLC, Utah) as a service provider. Just a warning.

See, this is what I am talking about. Just when I am ready to pull the trigger, I read a post like this and I get cold feet. Maybe I should keep my current Razor and just get an iPod touch.:mad:

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I would go yesterday. Don't wait for V2. The enjoyment you will get from the phone over the months before V2 will be well worth it. If there isn't much more than 3G offered in V2 then the wait will have been for nothing.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
It probably will be the best 400 bucks you spent in awhile.
And we have no guarentees of v2 coming anytime soon, only speculation.
And another plus will be really cool apps are days away with the SDK.
When v2 does come, ebay v1 or it makes a nice gift to famly or friend.

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
See, I'm in the same situation as you. Well, was. My friend who works at Apple is getting me a 25% discount, so it should be on its way. :laugh2: But anyway, yeah, like I said, get it now. Who knows when the new iPhone will come out? June? December? Tomorrow? If you're waiting for this version, why not wait for the one next year, it'll be smaller and better.

And about half the stuff people are complaining about the iPhone are software problems, not hardware. Meaning, we'll get the stuff Apple needs to catch up on the current iPhone. I can live without 3G for now. Make sure 3G is even covered in your area before wanting it, too.

Short story: Get one ASAP!

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
See, this is what I am talking about. Just when I am ready to pull the trigger, I read a post like this and I get cold feet. Maybe I should keep my current Razor and just get an iPod touch.:mad:
Get the iPhone. Its the absolute best thing i have ever bought. Get rid of that razr and get the phone. If you get a touch youre gonna be pissed you didn't get the phone once you have it...

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Decision is yours. Get one now and be happy. Wait for something possibly better within the year but probably prepare to spend more. This would be a tough decision to make. If I were in your shoes I'd probably wait a few more months and see what else pops up, who knows, they may make an announcement when the sdk is released late feburary.

As for me, I have to wait till this september anyways, so I get to kick back and look forward to new things happening as the year rolls on.

Good Luck! ;)

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Stop asking 100 people, you will get 100 different answers. Just go and buy it. Why are you worrying on a device that you will never regret spending 400 bucks.

kirkf

Feb 1, 2008
OK, OK... I am going tomorrow to get one. Thanks for all the comments!

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
OK, OK... I am going tomorrow to get one. Thanks for all the comments!
go ahead and do it. you won't regret it. and if it's not what you're looking for, you can always sell it and recover most of your investment.

a noobstar

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
your going to love it, glad to hear your getting it

Nov 26, 2007
YOU WILL LOVE IT! There is no way I would wait now that I have it......I will never go back to a normal phone again......it is worth every penny!

kirkf

Feb 1, 2008
Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Hey, what is the difference between a locked and unlocked phone? When I go to the ATT store, will it be a locked or unlocked phone. Or is it locked then ATT unlocks it for me.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
unlocked is when you modify/hack your phone to work with a provider other than att. There is no need to unluck your phone if you have att. Jailbreaking your phone is 'hacking' it so you can add 3rd party apps and customize it.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Hey, what is the difference between a locked and unlocked phone? When I go to the ATT store, will it be a locked or unlocked phone. Or is it locked then ATT unlocks it for me.
Good to hear that you are buying one. To answer your query, the phone will be locked.