On the Maps thing...what is the little car icon on bottom right

iwantaniphonenow

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
sorry if this is a dumb question but every once in a while i see something on the iPhone that i click and don't know what it does. when i go on the maps thing and i am looking at a map of how to get from a place to another place.....on the bottom right is a little picture of a car and i click it and it turns a darker blue and then i click it and it goes back to lighter blue but i don't see anything happen...what does it do!

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
I think its directions?

mc751n

Bronze
Jun 3, 2007
It's supposed to show traffic updates when on, but I've never really used it or had it work when I wanted it to, lol

iwantaniphonenow

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
lol. that is what i was thinking....but nothing showed up so...........oh well.

danielfillmore

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
kind of on the subject. . . when GPS is available for iPhone, will it be a software update, or will it have to be a hardware update in 2.0?

Neil

Bronze
It works really well for big cities, esp. The red or yellow lines showing more congestion even sort of flash so you're sure to notice. Very cool and helpful app.

jda182

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
kind of on the subject. . . when GPS is available for iPhone, will it be a software update, or will it have to be a hardware update in 2.0?
IF its available it will probably be a software update and you will probably have to buy a gps receiver (hopefully will connect via bluetooth)

and yes its supposed to be trafic updates, but i cant get it to work either, im guessing it only works in big cities on big roads and highways.

UhhhFresh

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
crap don't work. oh well. move on.

Austin

Jul 2, 2007
Makes sense that it only works in cities with traffic reporting infrastructure already in place - just like all the other devices that report traffic conditions. Lucky me, I live in Seattle...

If you want to see it work, look at Seattle on a weekday from 4pm to 7pm. See all the pretty red (nasty traffic) and black (parking lot).

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
well bleep me, it does work!

Just looked at the 5 through San Diego, and got the usual afternoon red traffic indicators.

Sweet feature though - very useful

iPhone4ef

Jul 9, 2007
Feature worked for me right after activating the phone. It's by far my favorite feature and I use it all the time in So. Cal. LA/Orange County.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
i live in a decently crowded area and i get updates.

spyrwebs

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Travelin man, SOCAL
I was so glad to see that feature on the iPhone. Google Traffic! I always use it before and after work to see the parking lot conditions, um, i mean freeway conditions in socal. I use that and www.sigalert.com . I believe its only a California thing tho. Aww man the 91 and slo-05!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
sorry if this is a dumb question but every once in a while i see something on the iPhone that i click and don't know what it does. when i go on the maps thing and i am looking at a map of how to get from a place to another place.....on the bottom right is a little picture of a car and i click it and it turns a darker blue and then i click it and it goes back to lighter blue but i don't see anything happen...what does it do!
The iPhone User's Guide is available through iTunes -- go to "Help" and select "iPhone Help." The guide is a PDF file. The info you're looking for is on page 84 of chapter 7. I think Apple could have made it a little more obvious that there is a user's guide...:)

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You're kidding right? It gives you directions and traffic issues.