1. What are all the consequences?
2. What is the best program to use?
3. Is it easy to work with?

Besides the themes and free aps. give me some more good reasons why I should

Ajax19

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Rather than making a new thread, I'll ask a question also.

Can you still download and use apps from the iTunes App Store with a jailbroken phone?

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Rather than making a new thread, I'll ask a question also.

Can you still download and use apps from the iTunes App Store with a jailbroken phone?
This one is easy. In one word,the answer is "Yes". Okay, I'll add to that. The whole point of jailbreaking is to have more not less than what your stock iPhone came with. So, if you jailbreak, you'll still be able to do everything Apple allows you to do on the iPhone, you'll just be able to do so much more.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I have a couple of questions though...
1. What are all the consequences?
2. What is the best program to use?
3. Is it easy to work with?

Besides the themes and free aps. give me some more good reasons why I should
1. The (bad) consequences vary depending on what you've installed. You may have Springboard crash intermittently, inability to use certain legacy apps and functions on the iPhone, heavy drain on battery, etc. The good thing though, is you have the best help resources in this forum, and if all else fail, you can easily go back to stock with a simple iTunes restore... And do it all over again. I always say there is a masochist lurking inside every jailbreaker.:sneaky:

2. Depends on what you like. It's much like the Apple Apps store - "Yeah, there's an app for that". The best apps seem to be those that improve upon what you already have on the Phone. Personally, and in no particular order, I'll pick Categories, SpotBright, SBsettings, LiveClock, Safari Close All Tabs and Winterboard (I'm trying to wean myself off of themes!). Of course, you need either Cydia or Icy to install the apps.

3. Yes, relatively speaking.

Reason to jailbreak? Because all you want from life is more! Frankly, there's no reason you should jailbreak. However, you have such an amazingly versatile device that can do so much more than Apple presently allows, it's such a shame to not tap into its full potential.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
1. Downsides: Used to be lag. I haven't experienced lag with the latest 3.0 jailbreaks, at least on my 3GS. I can't vouch for V1 or 3G. It does void your warranty, but unless you experience a hardware issue that prevents you from restoring, taking it in for warranty work should never be an issue.

2. I'm assuming you're asking what program is best to jailbreak. It's not a clear answer. I've had great success with Purplera!n with my 3GS. It's by far the easiest, most svelte jailbreak I've ever experienced. Everything works.

3. Easy as pie. Takes about 5 minutes, if that, to JB with purplera!n.

Theming is big for a lot of people, but I think the 2 most popular apps are SBSettings and Backgrounder. The former allows quick toggling of commonly-changed system settings. The latter allows things to run constantly, even after exiting the program. These two apps are why I jailbreak, and I think many are in the same boat.

I would say go for it. If you run into problems, you have a rich resource of help here at this site...

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
To add the the list of reasons:

• Easy and free Emoji enabling
  • Flashlight that automatically adjusts screen to highest brightness
  • RedLaser - Bar Code scanner, and price lookup
  • Custom text notifications
  • WeatherIcon on statusbar
  • Date on statusbar (feature of SBSettings)
  • Tap to unlock
  • 3Gunrestrictor - allows downloading of files bigger than 10MB over 3G, as well as watch high quality YouTube videos, and VOIP calls while on 3G (instead of restricted to wifi)

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Can't you get emoji through the appstore anymore? I forgot all about that one...

The flashlight is great. Small but important reason to jailbreak. Forgot about custom email/sms tones as well. Having a different tone than my wife is priceless.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
A couple more that are hard to live without are MxTube, for downloading/saving YouTube videos and Elert and Tlert, which let's you respond to texts from within any app and read new emails without closing the app you are in and opening the mail app.

carrera.owner

Bronze
Aug 31, 2008
Long Island, NY
My reason for JB'ing: Intelliscreen. I happen to find this app indispensable. The ability to get a quick view of new email, SMS, weather, and/or news on the lock screen is, IMO, something that Apple should offer, a priori....but they don't, so I JB.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
@psylichon yes you can get them through the app store, that's why I said free emoji enabling. :)

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
@psylichon yes you can get them through the app store, that's why I said free emoji enabling. :)

There's a free app in the app store too. It's called Spell Number.

The description for it is pretty cryptic, and the screenshots don't show much. Basically all you do is enter the code it gives you on the front screen, then go into Japanese keyboard and enable emoji.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
There's a free app in the app store too. It's called Spell Number.

The description for it is pretty cryptic, and the screenshots don't show much. Basically all you do is enter the code it gives you on the front screen, then go into Japanese keyboard and enable emoji.
Yeah I've used this. I don't get the whole entering the code thing. Seems retarded.