on WiFi not mine?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
I am on wifi making this message, thing is " I do not own" a wifi device.
I underdtand that I must be connected to a neighbor. OK my question
is does my neighbor know? Does anything alert someone that a connection
is made?
I was going to buy a wireless router , maybe I don't need to!

Mar 25, 2007
AZ
I'm thinking, if your neighbor wasn't smart enough to put a password on his wifi netork, then he/she's not smart enough to know if you (or anyone else) is connected to it... I say don't buy a router until you have to ;o)

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
I'm thinking, if your neighbor wasn't smart enough to put a password on his wifi netork, then he/she's not smart enough to know if you (or anyone else) is connected to it... I say don't buy a router until you have to ;o)
That is kinda what I am thinking.
Since I am not wifi smart I was wondering if the basic workings of a router js to alert you of a connection?

Edit: the connection I get just says "linksys".

scubus

Jul 4, 2007
That is kinda what I am thinking.
Since I am not wifi smart I was wondering if the basic workings of a router js to alert you of a connection?

Edit: the connection I get just says "linksys".
Legally, and I believe ethically, if a person leaves a WiFi open then it is an invitation for others to use the connection.

There are methods to determine if and who is connected to your network. However, unless the network is open on purpose (such as at a internet cafe etc.) the admin probably doesn't have the tools or the acumen to use them anyway...

spazzman90

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Use it.

I honestly don't know who started this whole paranoia about leaving your network open. I appreciate a free network when I find one. In return I leave mine open as well. I also have a couple 14 db antennas so anyone within a mile of here can get on as well. If everyone just left theirs open, I would hardly ever have to use edge.

-Jeff

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
Use it.

I honestly don't know who started this whole paranoia about leaving your network open. I appreciate a free network when I find one. In return I leave mine open as well. I also have a couple 14 db antennas so anyone within a mile of here can get on as well. If everyone just left theirs open, I would hardly ever have to use edge.

-Jeff
I feel the same way. I wouldn't mind sharing my WiFi (if/when I get one) only problem is security. Doesn't that open up your network machines to security issues? I realize that the simpleness of an iPhone on your network may not hurt but what about someone with a computer?

Austin

Jul 2, 2007
you used to be able to drive around Seattle hopping from one network to another... now they're all protected. *Shrug*

hutchensgd

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I live in a condo and there is one individual that lets the other access his network. I purchased a router anyway. You can never count on him leaving it on all of the time, or placing a password on the network. My iPhone is super fast on WiFi!

I am on wifi making this message, thing is " I do not own" a wifi device.
I underdtand that I must be connected to a neighbor. OK my question
is does my neighbor know? Does anything alert someone that a connection
is made?
I was going to buy a wireless router , maybe I don't need to!

jasunto

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
i keep mine protected, someone might sucks your bandwidth down, and in the router admin you can see the mac and computer name and everything about the computer that is connected, here is an option, if you have a laptop your set, if a desktop get a cheappy usb wireless usb device for like 20 or 30, install then on your laptop or now wireless ready desktop, turn on internet connection sharing and share it through an ad hock network to your iPhone if needed

daziphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Columbus OH
i keep mine protected, someone might sucks your bandwidth down, and in the router admin you can see the mac and computer name and everything about the computer that is connected, here is an option, if you have a laptop your set, if a desktop get a cheappy usb wireless usb device for like 20 or 30, install then on your laptop or now wireless ready desktop, turn on internet connection sharing and share it through an ad hock network to your iPhone if needed
Wow that sounds way too complicated for me. I'm just going to replace my existing router with one that has wireless. Simple enough!

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
Basically if the person isn't smart enough to password a wireless network they are not smart enough to track you down.. It is like nearly impossible to track someone down stealing WiFi .... and someone has to be smart enough to start up packet sniffers to see exactly what you are doing on the net ..

Enjoy free internet while you have it .. and as far as the packet sniffing part Im not sure if anyone can find out any information from an iPhone .. a mac or a pc it is possible maybe we got it made with the iPhone and free wifi...

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
Basically if the person isn't smart enough to password a wireless network they are not smart enough to track you down.. It is like nearly impossible to track someone down stealing WiFi .... and someone has to be smart enough to start up packet sniffers to see exactly what you are doing on the net ..

Enjoy free internet while you have it .. and as far as the packet sniffing part Im not sure if anyone can find out any information from an iPhone .. a mac or a pc it is possible maybe we got it made with the iPhone and free wifi...
Actually, all they will need to do is look at the DHCP Client list on their router.

It will have the DCHP clients listed - and one will be the user that doesn't live there!

Of course - if they don't know you're on, they'll probably never look at the DHCP log.....

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
If your smart enough lol chances are if the network isn't secure you can always login to the control panel with the defaults and turn it off no? or is that diff

but now now lets not get carried away this is iPhone forum not network security