One Data Plan Thought...

Jun 14, 2007
Whatever the prices of data plans happen to be, I highly recommend getting an unlimited plan.... For those of you who have never had a PDA or Smartphone, everytime you receive an email your iPhone will dial into the server and down load the message, costing you valuable MB's..... This begins to add up, especially with a Yahoo account where the spam filter doesn't work so well..... Just to give you an idea, I have already used over 60 MB's this month and the month isn't over yet.... So whatever an unlimted data plan costs it will save you in the long run....

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Valid point, but since the iPhone has wifi, a lot of people will not be using the data intensive features very often 'on the road', but leave those for areas with wifi access.

Jun 14, 2007
Valid point, but since the iPhone has wifi, a lot of people will not be using the data intensive features very often 'on the road', but leave those for areas with wifi access.
"Push Mail" sends the mail to you as soon as it comes into the server, so unless you are sitting in an area with WiFi all the time you will be using your data plan....

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
"Push Mail" sends the mail to you as soon as it comes into the server, so unless you are sitting in an area with WiFi all the time you will be using your data plan....
Couldn't this be stopped by selecting to check if you have mail manually in the iPhone settings?

Jun 14, 2007
Couldn't this be stopped by selecting to check if you have mail manually in the iPhone settings?
Yes, but then what is the point of having email sent directly to your phone... You might as well pull out your laptop and check your email everytime you are in a WiFi area that you can tap into....

I also believe that read somewhere on this board, that the visual voicemail will use "Push" technology too.....

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Well, as far as visual voice mail, you are 100% correct that we may need a data plan for this to work, and there is nothing we can do about that.
But for your views on the email thing, I would actually prefer that mine be manuel. And, yes actually, it is easier to pull out a phone and press on the screen twice than hauling my 5.6 pound MacBook Pro with me just to check my email, so 'it's just as easy to pull out your laptop' is not at all a valid argument ;).

Jun 14, 2007
Well, as far as visual voice mail, you are 100% correct that we may need a data plan for this to work, and there is nothing we can do about that.
But for your views on the email thing, I would actually prefer that mine be manuel. And, yes actually, it is easier to pull out a phone and press on the screen twice than hauling my 5.6 pound MacBook Pro with me just to check my email, so 'it's just as easy to pull out your laptop' is not at all a valid argument ;).
I find it hard to believe that Apple & AT&T will allow iPhone to tap into any available open WiFi... Doesn't this constitiute as stealing? So my thoughts are if you are using WiFi at home, school or work the typical places you will have access to WiFi you probably are close to a computer.....

Just my thoughts... Not trying to create an argument.... IMO AT&T's $45 unlimited data plan w/1500 SMS that they offer now is a pretty good deal and well worth the price....

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Um, I don't know why you think using wifi is stealing... have you ever been to a coffee shop? Or a library? Maybe even a wifi-enabled restaurant? Or, even McDonalds for instance. All of these places have wifi, open to the public (if you buy something, of course). I can't count the number of times I've been to my favorite local coffee shop and would like to check something 'really quick' online and didn't have my laptop with me.

Jun 14, 2007
Um, I don't know why you think using wifi is stealing... have you ever been to a coffee shop? Or a library? Maybe even a wifi-enabled restaurant? Or, even McDonalds for instance. All of these places have wifi, open to the public (if you buy something, of course). I can't count the number of times I've been to my favorite local coffee shop and would like to check something 'really quick' online and didn't have my laptop with me.
Well if your local coffee shop happens to be Starbucks it will cost you, because their WiFi is owned by T-Mobile....

I understand the point you are making, yes there are plenty of valid open WiFi points if you hapen to live in a fairly urban area....

My point is if you are going to use your iPhone to it's fulliest potential you will want to take advantage of the "Push" technology and get email in real time.... With that being said, an unlimited data plan is the way to go.....

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
I agree, for some people the unlimited data plan is the way to go, but not for everyone. And no, my local coffee shop is PJs (a chain based out of New Orleans) and they do not charge for wifi.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I find it hard to believe that Apple & AT&T will allow iPhone to tap into any available open WiFi... Doesn't this constitiute as stealing? So my thoughts are if you are using WiFi at home, school or work the typical places you will have access to WiFi you probably are close to a computer.....
How does this differ from using your laptop? I must be missing your point because this doesn't seem to be an Apple or ATT issue.

Jun 14, 2007
How does this differ from using your laptop? I must be missing your point because this doesn't seem to be an Apple or ATT issue.
Yeah I think you missed my point....

But the point I was originally trying to make is that if you are paying $500-$600 on an iPhone you will want to use all of the features. Push email & visual voicemail will require data plans... And based on 4 years of using PDA & Smartphones it will save you in the long run to go with an unlimited data plan.... Just brace yourself for the $100 phone bill, it stings a bit at first...

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Yeah I think you missed my point....

But the point I was originally trying to make is that if you are paying $500-$600 on an iPhone you will want to use all of the features. Push email & visual voicemail will require data plans... And based on 4 years of using PDA & Smartphones it will save you in the long run to go with an unlimited data plan.... Just brace yourself for the $100 phone bill, it stings a bit at first...
I was referring to your point about Apple and ATT allowing us to "steal" internet from open WiFi networks:

I find it hard to believe that Apple & AT&T will allow iPhone to tap into any available open WiFi... Doesn't this constitiute as stealing?
I'm not sure how that's related to the price, features, and plans.

Jun 14, 2007
I was referring to your point about Apple and ATT allowing us to "steal" internet from open WiFi networks:

I'm not sure how that's related to the price, features, and plans.

The post before mentioned that you could just use WiFi to check your mail in leiu of using your data plan... I was saying that you can't just expect to log on to any open WiFi network (it would not be responsible of AT&T & Apple to suggest that you could) and that the places that you could like home, school or work, you would typically have a computer....

Anyway the point is moot and we were discussing other options to using lots of MB's on your data plan....

Sorry for the confusion....

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
For those of us switching from a Blackberry this whole data plan talk is ridiculous. I currently pay $49.95 per month just for data and another $10.00 just for text messaging. I welcome a new data plan since I bet it will be better than what I have now anyway. Why would you not want to remain connected at all times anyway, isn't that the point of having a smartphone? Besides everyone is complaining about $40.00 per month when you are buying a $600 phone. Just my $0.02...

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
You can set the phone to download your email every 30 minutes or so as well. Odds are the unlimited data plan will be very competitive with blackberry, which is around 30-40 bucks a month. It's worth it.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
You can set the phone to download your email every 30 minutes or so as well. Odds are the unlimited data plan will be very competitive with blackberry, which is around 30-40 bucks a month. It's worth it.
I agree. I am guessing between 30-40 for the iPhone data plan.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
$30-$40 with text messaging included I bet. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
$30-$40 with text messaging included I bet. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
$40 with unlimted texting(ok i'll take 1500) and I would be real happy. I pay $40+ for my blackberry and texting plan.