One Data Plan Thought...

Davidaz

Jun 2, 2007
Columbus OH
I find it hard to believe that Apple & AT&T will allow iPhone to tap into any available open WiFi... Doesn't this constitiute as stealing? So my thoughts are if you are using WiFi at home, school or work the typical places you will have access to WiFi you probably are close to a computer.....

Just my thoughts... Not trying to create an argument.... IMO AT&T's $45 unlimited data plan w/1500 SMS that they offer now is a pretty good deal and well worth the price....
Well I look at it this way.......... First off you can't steal WiFi..... it is there and on for public for free (in most cases) for that purpose.
Second is that AT&T is selling you a data plan....... they must have come to a cost that they feel is average for the average user to access data. Now if they get the full cost (which they are) then they should be happy that some people some of the time are NOT using the AT&T data connection. If you are using WiFi you are over paying for unlimited data. :eek:

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
For those of us switching from a Blackberry this whole data plan talk is ridiculous. I currently pay $49.95 per month just for data and another $10.00 just for text messaging. I welcome a new data plan since I bet it will be better than what I have now anyway. Why would you not want to remain connected at all times anyway, isn't that the point of having a smartphone? Besides everyone is complaining about $40.00 per month when you are buying a $600 phone. Just my $0.02...
I think you've hit this one perfectly. Thanks for the great comparison with Blackberry as I think that is one of Apple's targets with the iPhone.

Kyled8888@gmail.com

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Regardless of the cost of the phone, (average) people are not going to be willing to pay $100+/month for a phone plan, and the iPhone is targeted at the average user, not the businesss class.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Regardless of the cost of the phone, (average) people are not going to be willing to pay $100+/month for a phone plan, and the iPhone is targeted at the average user, not the businesss class.
My bill is like $160 for a family plan and data and text messaging, but luckily for me I don't pay it my company does :p

dieselboy973

Jun 14, 2007
Great point and that is why there is such an uncertainty whether iPhone will be a success.... I guess we will have to wait and see and hopefully AT&T will come up with some good plan options....