One Email Won't Delete?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Using Mail with the latest OS X, I have one email (an EIC notification, no less) that will not delete. When I try to delete it, it turns gray, and I have the option to undelete it, but it always remains in the Inbox. I have completely closed and restarted Mail, as well as restarted the iMac, to no avail. I've never seen this before, even on a Windows PC. What the bunk?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
try going directly to the inbox mail folder, and deleting it there.

~Library/Mail/(user email)/INBOX/Messages

there not named very well, so use the "date created" to find the one to delete.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
try going directly to the inbox mail folder, and deleting it there.

~Library/Mail/(user email)/INBOX/Messages

there not named very well, so use the "date created" to find the one to delete.
I have Library/Mail/Account Types/com.apple.builtin.mailaccounts/MailAccounts.plist

no inbox

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
sorry, i should have specified ~ = your user directory.

so the full path would be

Users/(user)/Library... etc

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
sorry, i should have specified ~ = your user directory.

so the full path would be

Users/(user)/Library... etc
Thanks. Believe this or not, but it's the only email not in the folder. It's like a phantom letter that won't go away. Like a ghost that only I can see.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
bizarre.

maybe there's an attachment that wasn't deleted with the main message... there's an attachment folder also in the "INBOX.***mbox"... maybe look for an attachment that would belong to that email? Again, they're not numbered very well, so the "date created" would probably be the best way to ID.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
bizarre.

maybe there's an attachment that wasn't deleted with the main message... there's an attachment folder also in the "INBOX.***mbox"... maybe look for an attachment that would belong to that email? Again, they're not numbered very well, so the "date created" would probably be the best way to ID.
There's no attachment. The email was one of those EIC notifications when someone replied to a thread you're subscribed to, you know what I mean? I deleted a bunch of those, and this one decided it didn't want to leave. It's really not that big a deal, but it bugs the hell outta me that I can't delete it.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
hold option+delete?

this works when there are items in trash that won't go away. might work across osx.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Thanks Steve. In the discussion forums at Apple.com, someone had me click the message, then to go the top menu and choose Edit, then Cut. That worked.