One handed iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jonpno

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
So im contemplating getting an iPhone. one thing i thought of while driving today and using my current phone to type a text message, will i be able to hold the iPhone one handed and say send a text message? I know iPhone is certaintly different than most phones, with the touch screen and all. What are some of yalls experiences using the iPhone in situations like this. thanks

ChemicalWeather

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
So im contemplating getting an iPhone. one thing i thought of while driving today and using my current phone to type a text message, will i be able to hold the iPhone one handed and say send a text message? I know iPhone is certaintly different than most phones, with the touch screen and all. What are some of yalls experiences using the iPhone in situations like this. thanks
its definitely not safe to drive and text, it's even worse with an iPhone

Sobrnola

Oct 4, 2007
Just don't. Texting while driving is silly. Sorry just my opinion. And yes you can type with one hand I do it all the time and the text prediction helps out a lot.

iPhone8801

Bronze
Sep 22, 2007
Imagine typing on a full size laptop keyboard while driving. Not going to happen. LOL you might find yourself in a center divide by the time you finish typing one word.

Texting on a normal cell with 3 letters per key really simplifies texting while driving.

So in my opinion unless you wanted to die I wouldn't try texting with the iPhone while driving.

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Once you learn to trust the auto correct feature it becomes ten times better.
You still have to give a quick once over to make sure it didn't insert the wrong word, but I can type replys much faster than I could on any standard phone.

(I've never had a full qwerty keyboard phone like a Blackberry, so someone else will be able to give you a better idea about comparing those)

ipod classic

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I browse the web, watch videos on you tube, check mail, text, watch tv shows while I drive, but I think I scared myself yesterday when I almost forgot I was driving! So ya bad Idea, don't do it. I'm just a naturalborn multi tasker. I really should stop though.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
To actually answer your question, it's difficult without tactile feedback, as you're required to look at the screen when typing. It's possible, but not nearly as easy as a phone with real buttons.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Sounds like you do this regularly...Not a good driving habit, and that's putting it mildly...In many Arizona counties, you'd get pulled over for text messaging while driving...If it's that important, you should pull off the road.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
It is possible to use with one hand...just remember which hand has the lotion.
wow..

and yes it is possible, but not a great idea like many have already said. i usually text during heavy traffic or at stop lights, since then you do not have to watch as much.

easy solution to driving while texting= having someone else in the car text for you.

or be even more efficient and make a phone call

iPaul

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Minneapolis
I kinda got scared straight when an Audi right in front of me crashed while the guy was obviously texting... but yeah, I did it one letter at a time, (select, look up, select, look up) takes a while, but it's much safer...

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
Please let me know if you are on the road in the Detroit area texting while driving so I can be prepared to stay away from you! I would go ballistic if someone crashed into my car because they couldn't pull over to a safe area and send their stupid text message without endangering the lives of other people!

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
It is possible to use with one hand...just remember which hand has the lotion.
That was funny as hell! :p

Please let me know if you are on the road in the Detroit area texting while driving so I can be prepared to stay away from you! I would go ballistic if someone crashed into my car because they couldn't pull over to a safe area and send their stupid text message without endangering the lives of other people!
People do the damndest and scariest stuff behind the wheel of a car. I have friends that text me all the time, then get bummed because they didn't get an immediate response. Thats on them because I don't have anything that important I want to tap out at 65 mph.

Now they know, no response from me means...I'm DRIVING!

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
thanks so much

Thanks for putting my life at risk as well as everyone else on the road. I am glad to know the message to your buddy is more important than my life and the pain my family will suffer when you hit me head on.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I browse the web, watch videos on you tube, check mail, text, watch tv shows while I drive, but I think I scared myself yesterday when I almost forgot I was driving! So ya bad Idea, don't do it. I'm just a naturalborn multi tasker. I really should stop though.
...a naturalborn fool, maybe. We could care less if you kill yourself, but if you kill someone else because you're a dumbass... Well then...

Fayewolf

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
Agree with everyone else, it's not worth it... it's just difficult with the touch keyboard, unlike a keyboard phone where you can feel it, its gonna be a huge distraction, just don't do it...