One more reason why AT&T Sucks

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by bballrob, Mar 2, 2016.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Man I hate these guys more and more all the time.

So I live in Alaska, and still have my service with AT&T Simply due to economics. But I'm headed out to a couple spots in rural areas where AT&T has no service for 11 days. So I decided I'd port my number to an alaskan carrier for that time. Here's the problem.

AT&T won't unlock my phone til it's paid off. So I went on their site and paid off the remaining installment plans. Tried the unlock again, got the same denial. Called the 800 number. He said that you have to wait 14 days before they will unlock to protect against payment reversals, chargebacks, etc. OK, I get that.

So then I ask him, if I walk into my local AT&T Store, pay CASH, can they begin the unlock process immediately? Nope, same 14 days.

Absolutely ridiculous.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've always been able to get mine unlocked quickly, usually through eBay, but once through AT&T even before it was paid off. I guess they changed their policy after they had some charge reversals. How soon is your trip? Do you have any old phones that are already unlocked that you could use if the trip is within the next two weeks? If not, you might want to consider buying an unlock on eBay. It would be a lot cheaper than paying the phone off now. It's a factory unlock, the same as AT&T provides, and it only takes a few days.
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/252248755049

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Holy miracle of miracles. I still can't believe how'd this worked out.

First of all, to answer your question, my trip starts today. And actually, it's 4 days now, then 3 days at home before another 4 day trip to a different remote area.

Anyhow, here's what happened.

My frustration hit with yesterday's phone call to AT&T. When I got off the phone about 8:15 am, I was convinced id have no service this weekend. The service rep told me it would take someone 2-3 days to review my case. Here's where everything took a turn for the better.

About 3:40 PM, I noticed I had an email from AT&T that said my case had been reviewed and my phone unlocked. It had been in my box since 11:30 am and SOMEHOW I HAD MISSED IT!! Anyhow, it also said my phone may not be unlocked for up to 24 hours, but I had hope. It also said that if I was going to be using it with a non-ATT carrier, there was nothing that needed to be done.

I had biked to work, so I called my wife and asked her if she could pick me up quickly and loan me her car since one of the kids had my truck. She obliged and was at my office in less than 5 minutes. I dropped her off at the hiuse(less than half a mile away), and headed to GCI(the local carrier). To make a long story less than 20 minutes later my phone had a new GCI SIM card in it, and I was SET!!

I swear there must have been some divine intervention for this to work out like this. But at least I'll have service now this weekend and next. I'm even considering moving my whole plan to GCI once I've had a chance to check their plans out a little more. They basically charge you for data only and your phone and text service is free if you own your phone outright. It'll give me something to research between games while I'm out in the sticks this weekend.

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

So maybe AT&T doesn't suck so bad after all? :D

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold