One of my iPhone screens is "cooler" than my others.

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
Had a 4GB iPhone which I loved, but ended up replacing with an 8GB iPhone today. Anyway, as soon as I turned it on I realized something was a little off. The black screen with the Apple logo was a little brighter than normal.

I compared the screen to two different 4GB iPhones I had, and the 8GB had an overall blue tint to it, whereas the two 4GB iPhones had a warmer, red tint to them.

Since there's a 2:1 difference, I want to say there is something "off" about my 8GB iPhone's screen. Before I return it though, I just want to make sure this isn't the case with all 8GB iPhones. I don't see why it would be, but just thought I'd ask you guys first.

You may think I'm crazy but these types of things really drive me nuts :eek:

eufo

Bronze
Aug 22, 2007
Miami
Yeah, the "red" ones are likely the 7 series LCD and the "blue" one is likely the 5 series. This topic has been covered before.

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
Thanks guys, is there any way to tell which series screen a phone has by looking at the box? I'd like to get the 7 series screen. Going to do some more research.

EDIT: Just entered field test and I have the 7 series screen. Might be hard finding an older series screen :( Hopefully there's a way to tell by looking at the box, because I really liked the other one better.

eufo

Bronze
Aug 22, 2007
Miami
Thanks guys, is there any way to tell which series screen a phone has by looking at the box? I'd like to get the 7 series screen. Going to do some more research.

EDIT: Just entered field test and I have the 7 series screen. Might be hard finding an older series screen :( Hopefully there's a way to tell by looking at the box, because I really liked the other one better.
They are not older/newer. And there is no way to tell from the box.

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
They are not older/newer. And there is no way to tell from the box.
This sucks :( I loved my first phone, now I'm stuck with this screen. Not quite sure what the Apple store would tell me if I say I'm not happy with my the series of my screen. Even after that, it's like playing the lottery to get another 5 series.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
OK I just compared the two iPhones. Like I said, they are significantly different but both are 7459072 LCDs! WTF!

Both had the white dots.
are you saying that the 4gb u liked r 7 series aswell now?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Im not an iPhone doctor, but i play one in the posts, maybe it might look different because your holdng the phone at different angles? Just a thought. They all come off an assembly line so guess what, there all the same.

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
Im not an iPhone doctor, but i play one in the posts, maybe it might look different because your holdng the phone at different angles? Just a thought. They all come off an assembly line so guess what, there all the same.
Nothing to do with the angle. There was a significant difference between the two. I'm going to exchange this one in the morning and live with the next one. Hopefully it's a good one.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
You are right there is a difference. The 7 series are darker in contrast and have warmer colors. Most anyways. The issue I have with them(I have had 4) is when watching a movie the blacks look bad. Similar but not as drastic of what is going on with the iPod touch. The new 7's seem to have gotten rid of the grid but the black levels are unexceptable. The 5 series in my opinion(I have gone through 14 phones) is the best all around screen.

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
You are right there is a difference. The 7 series are darker in contrast and have warmer colors. Most anyways. The issue I have with them(I have had 4) is when watching a movie the blacks look bad. Similar but not as drastic of what is going on with the iPod touch. The new 7's seem to have gotten rid of the grid but the black levels are unexceptable. The 5 series in my opinion(I have gone through 14 phones) is the best all around screen.
WHOA, 14 phones?! What do you suggest I do? Both of the phones I compared have the same exact series number, but look different. I prefer the warm look, but should I just stick with this phone anyway? What do you think the chances of me getting the other LCD are?

Also, how did you go through 14 phones? Did the Apple store gladly exchange them for you? What did you say your reason for exchanging was?

Thanks!

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
WHOA, 14 phones?! What do you suggest I do? Both of the phones I compared have the same exact series number, but look different. I prefer the warm look, but should I just stick with this phone anyway? What do you think the chances of me getting the other LCD are?

Also, how did you go through 14 phones? Did the Apple store gladly exchange them for you? What did you say your reason for exchanging was?

Thanks!

Here is the list of what happened to me and now I have a perfect one. I had 5 with more then 4 dead pixels, 3 with horrible battery life, 1 where half the screen stopped working with touch, 1 with severe light bleeding on 3 sides, and one I scratched the screen and made up a story and they gave me a new one, and 2 that came scratched out of the box.

Your odds of getting a 5 series screen are always 50/50. I know of my replacement phones I have gotten I have gotten 10, 5 series and 4 7 series. The last 5 of 6 were 5 series screens. It is my personal preference for a 5 series. I would put a movie on your warmer 7 series phone and check out a dark scene of a movie. If you cannot see any detail and it looks like a negative of a photo I would bring it to Apple and show them. I did that with my last one and now I have a perfect 5 series screen with no dead pixels and the best battery life I have had yet.

Nikos

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Long Island, NY
www.nikostoscani.com
Here is the list of what happened to me and now I have a perfect one. I had 5 with more then 4 dead pixels, 3 with horrible battery life, 1 where half the screen stopped working with touch, 1 with severe light bleeding on 3 sides, and one I scratched the screen and made up a story and they gave me a new one, and 2 that came scratched out of the box.

Your odds of getting a 5 series screen are always 50/50. I know of my replacement phones I have gotten I have gotten 10, 5 series and 4 7 series. The last 5 of 6 were 5 series screens. It is my personal preference for a 5 series. I would put a movie on your warmer 7 series phone and check out a dark scene of a movie. If you cannot see any detail and it looks like a negative of a photo I would bring it to Apple and show them. I did that with my last one and now I have a perfect 5 series screen with no dead pixels and the best battery life I have had yet.
Thank you sir! I had a movie on my warmer screen and it actually did lose some detail during dark scenes. I didn't think much of it though. I'm going to put the same movie on my "cooler" screen right now to see how it looks. Maybe I'll end up liking it, but just looking at the menus and home screen kind of bothers me. I really prefer the warmer screen.

I think I'm going to try swapping this phone in the morning, but I'm not sure what to tell the store. They might try telling me nothing is wrong with it and technically they would be correct.

EDIT: I'm not sure how small the pixels are on this phone, but depending on the angle, I can almost see dead pixels all over the place. They are more like sparkles though. They don't really stand out like dead pixels would on a larger LCD, so maybe they aren't actually dead pixels.

EDIT2: Just popped a movie on, and I can see a lot of "sparkles" in the black borders. Looks like a bunch of dead pixels, but some smaller than others. They're all white.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
14 iPhones huh...hmmm..me thinks its not the iPhone but your eyes that are the problem...

...[edited]...

Key word here is go do anything that is not iPhone related and then the screens will look the same again.:)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I personally feel that after the second return for BS reasons people should be required to agree that there will be no more returns. 14 is absurd and it's returns like that that cost all of us money.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
I could have lied. All my posts I do try and help out. Tell the truth. All the people that I have seen at Apple have seen the same issues on my phones that I saw or other wise they would not have swapped out the phones. I was merely helping out someone that had asked. I am not blind that there is a HUGE difference between screens on the same phone and was passing on my knowledge of the problem.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
To all: Please argue the issue and not the person. That being said, it's within a members right to question the amount of returns, as long as they do not attack the person. Please not a "minor" Admin update to the thread above. Now, please let's get back on topic or this thread will be locked.

Thanks to all for your understanding.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Yes back to the topic,
Do you know the odds of getting 14 iPhones with the same problem?
Thats like Rosie O'donnell getting engaged to Donald Trump...It aint possible.
Not unless one of Jobs little elves was hungover on a monday but went to work anyway, and pissed on the circut boards of 14 iPhones would that happen. And even that wouldn't happen because each phone is given a rigorous continuity check during and after assembly. (I am an Electrician and circut board master tech). Just thought id throw that out there.
:)
:cool: