One question before I open my iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

zeke72791

Dec 25, 2007
Hi. I got an iPhone for Christmas, which is more than I expected and I was very excited. The only thing is, I would like to know a few things before I open it and cannot return it.
First off, I wear skinny jeans that are a little tighter than normal jeans and I was wondering if anyone has problems with fitting their iPhone in their jeans pockets or it bulging out too much.
Secondly, since I would carry it around in my pocket most of the time, I was wondering if it is durable enough to be kept in a pocket.
Thanks for all the help.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i have kept mine in my jeans pocket (i also wear relatively tight jeans) for 3 months, and it doesn't bother me at all. after a month or so of using it "naked", it was still in great shape, but i decided to be proactive and got a screen protector and agent18 case... they've complimented the iPhone's looks and functionality very well.

anyway, i don't think you'll have any problems.

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
I just got the iPhone a little over a month ago. While I wouldn't necessarily call my jeans tight, the pockets are a little more snug than say carpenter jeans.

I have yet to experience any issues with carrying the phone in my pocket. Sure, you'll get little marks here and there on the chrome bezel, but nothing you wouldn't otherwise get with normal use. Such is the life of polished chrome.

I do use an anti glare screen protector from the Apple Store if for nothing more than to keep the fingerprints away. As the matte finish is almost completely resistant to smudges and fingerprints. Unlike the bare screen, which can get nasty fast with minimal use.

I also recently tried the Cotour Showcase case. However, that lasted about two days, as not only did the case add some new scratches to the chrome bezel, but it also dented the screen protector to the point of it aquiring bubbles that couldn't be remedied. Highly disappointed and thus will remain case free from here on out.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I keep mine in my front left pocket every single day and I've kept it there since June 29th. The phone shows no signs of wear from carrying it in my pocket.

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Welcome to the forum Zeke,

It should be fine but I recommend using a screen protector. I use the one sold in the Apple store and it works great. It is better be safe than sorry even though the iPhone glass screen is very durable and somehow scratch resistant!
Have fun with you new toy.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
phone will be 110% completely fine.. what better place to keep your phone than a cloth lined pocket...

and if thats no good, then just get a case for it on your belt...

and i wouldn't let tight jeans stop me from having the most amazing phone ever... i would get new looser jeans to accommodate my iPhone before giving up my iPhone

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Despite what others say you really need to judge for yourself. I can very easily see a situation where an iPhone could break if inside a front pocket on tight jeans. The iPhone is not made to flex so if you happened to move in such a way as to bend it the screen could crack.

In a back pocket it's more a case of sitting on it.

Just having the iPhone in a cloth pocket won't hurt it. it's moving around that I would worry about.

--
Mike

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
i have kept mine in my jeans pocket (i also wear relatively tight jeans) for 3 months, and it doesn't bother me at all. after a month or so of using it "naked", it was still in great shape, but i decided to be proactive and got a screen protector and agent18 case... they've complimented the iPhone's looks and functionality very well.

anyway, i don't think you'll have any problems.
Wow. That is exactly what my post should have said.

My phone goes into my pocket of relatively tight jeans everyday with the Agent 18 on it, and it always comes out fine.

However, a bit of lint can tend to get into the USB port and the earbud jack every now and then. Should it happen, gently pick it out with a paperclip.

- John

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Incidentally, when I was at the Oakley store, I asked if I could buy another of the microfiber cloths that come in their glasses cleaning kit (with the idea that I'd hack into fourths and keep one of them in my iPhone case). The girl there said no, but that she could give me one of their microfiber glasses cases "like the one you got with your glasses" (which I don't own.. LOL). It's about a third again taller than the iPhone and a little wider, but the entire case can be used to clean the screen. The iPhone slides into the case nicely and the case and iPhone slides nicely into my pocket. It's got a drawstring at the top that will allow you to close it up even with the iPhone inside.

YMMV, of course, but it's worth a shot. Hey, you can't beat the price!

Note that I don't carry my phone in my pocket (I'm a leather horizontal magnet-close kind of guy), but if I were going to/if I ever do carry it in my pocket, I think this is what I'd do.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
for the first few weeks i had mine, i carried it in the slip-cover that came with the 60GB ipod video. Fit nearly perfectly... then i lost it.

then i lost the ipod :(