One speaker is quiet

TKNice

Aug 28, 2008
Hmm, I just noticed that one of my speakers isn't playing very loud. I don't think it has anything to do with the update and probably has been this way since I bought it two months ago. If I put my finger over the left speaker (looking at front of phone) I hear almost nothing.

:(

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Don't worry, the number of times that his has been asked outnumbers any other question there is.

ijen0311

Sep 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
if it makes you feel better, I went into the Apple store and yelled about it. I told the manager I was tired of getting crappy broken replacement phones. He let me go on and on before he told me it was a mic.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I am not pointing anyone out, I just think that its funny that even after over a year of iPhone being on the market, there are still those out there that think that iPhone has stereo speakers!

It makes me chuckle, cause all of us at one point looked at the bottom while iPhone was playing music and said hey! where is my music from the other side!

TKNice

Aug 28, 2008
thanks fellas, I do feel better. I use the headphones so often that I never really paid attention before. The other silly thing is I actually thought about the microphone before and just assumed there was some small hole somewhere. Never occurred to me that one of the grills would be one.

This may also explain why the mic is so good. I have my phone plugged in the aux miniplug port in my truck. When a call comes in, I just answer it and the sound plays through the car speakers and people seem to be able to hear me just fine even though the phone is not on "speaker".

Thanks again for the replies.

Tom

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
lol, there have been some threads on this and still kinda funny.

This is kind of funny, I called Apple technical support this morning for a completely different issue and while I had them on the phone I asked why only one speaker worked. He informed me one was a speaker the other was a microphone.

Your not alone TK lol

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Im finding both of my cameras just fine. Oh wait! Im posting on my N95-4! :p
Oh yes? Well my iPhone can copy and paste text from Safari to.... oh wait.

Oh, wait! I can send you an MMS that... oh wait.

Oh yes? I have an iPod aaaaaaaaand phone built in one! So take that! :p

(for the record, I hate those that complain about CnP and MMS. Get over it)

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Oh yes? Well my iPhone can copy and paste text from Safari to.... oh wait.

Oh, wait! I can send you an MMS that... oh wait.

Oh yes? I have an iPod aaaaaaaaand phone built in one! So take that! :p

(for the record, I hate those that complain about CnP and MMS. Get over it)
i still complain about them but have learned to live with it.

Actually, to kinda get back on topic, the lack of a second speaker is more of a disappointment to me than lack of MMS. Copy and Paste, yeah I still want.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
i still complain about them but have learned to live with it.

Actually, to kinda get back on topic, the lack of a second speaker is more of a disappointment to me than lack of MMS. Copy and Paste, yeah I still want.
I think the lack of a 2nd speaker is more a logistical thing than anything else. If you had a mic in the middle of 2 speakers, wouldn't it be REALLY hard to have a speakerphone conversation? It's hard enough w/the one speaker so close to the mic...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I think the lack of a 2nd speaker is more a logistical thing than anything else. If you had a mic in the middle of 2 speakers, wouldn't it be REALLY hard to have a speakerphone conversation? It's hard enough w/the one speaker so close to the mic...
i was thinking, as small as the speakers are the logical place would either be on the sides at the top, just below the volume rocker.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I don't care how many speakers there are - another would be nice, but - I'm just impressed of how loud and clear the audio on the 3G is.

Cloverfield

Bronze
Jan 16, 2008
UK, Kent
www.CloverfieldMovieForum.com
It's true, this question has been asked more than any other. I have asked it myself, many months ago. I think it was my first topic actually. The sound on the iPhone disappoints me massivly. Very quiet which is a shame. Oh well, pierce the holes with a needle and you get more sound...not a lot mind you.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Actually, asking about stereo speaker is a legitimate question because at least one mobile phone actually has stereo speakers: the Sony Ericsson W550i.

It's in two very strange places but I suppose it's under the Walkman brand so I guess it needed two speakers. :p