one touch dialing on homescreen

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
H

Hayesimus

okay i've gone to jonsthoughtofeverything.com and done the whole create a url app but for a contacts phone number. if you know what i'm talking about, then great lol. anyway. it didn't work. i tried several times. i just want to have my closest buddies as icons on my home screen and be able to tap them to start dialing. please someone give me step by step instructions for PC and firmware 1.0.2. PLEASE! lol and i tried to search for it but it yeilded nothing relevant to me. thanks!

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
okay i've gone to jonsthoughtofeverything.com and done the whole create a url app but for a contacts phone number. if you know what i'm talking about, then great lol. anyway. it didn't work. i tried several times. i just want to have my closest buddies as icons on my home screen and be able to tap them to start dialing. please someone give me step by step instructions for PC and firmware 1.0.2. PLEASE! lol and i tried to search for it but it yeilded nothing relevant to me. thanks!

1. Download and extract the Domino's example that I've attached below. You should get a folder called Domino.app

2. Rename Domino.app to whatever name you want. For example: John.app

3. Edit the Info.plist file:

Look for the string: com.Dominos.embark

Change it to something else. It can be anything like: com.John.embark

Change the telephone number to your own.

4. Unless you like the pizza icon, change icon.png to your own liking.

5. Upload the folder to /Applications on your phone. Chmod both the Embark and Info.plist file to 0755

6. Restart your iPhone.

Attachments

H

Hayesimus

1. Download and extract the Domino's example that I've attached below. You should get a folder called Domino.app

5. Upload the folder to /Applications on your phone. Chmod both the Embark and Info.plist file to 0755

6. Restart your iPhone.

at the risk of sounding stupid. what does the second part of number five mean. Chmod? and i don't understand to 0755. i'm not sure what all that means.

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
You need to use winSCP (or similar) to change the permissions of the file once it is installed. Alternatively, install squid from installer and use that.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
at the risk of sounding stupid. what does the second part of number five mean. Chmod? and i don't understand to 0755. i'm not sure what all that means.
You can use Terminal, Squid or WinSCP (for Windows) like Rip mentions. Using something like WinSCP is probably easiest, but another way is to install MobileFinder, available on Installer. After you install it, do the following:

1. Launch MobileFinder. Go to Settings and set "Application Launch" to off. (You can change this back later)

2. Get out of Settings and navigate to the Once Touch folder you just uploaded. Highlight the Embark file and choose "Modify". For Owner, make sure Read, Write and Exec are all highlighted, like in this example:

3. Repeat step 2 with the Info.plist file.

4. Restart the iPhone.

rjs

Aug 5, 2007
Replacement icon?

Very impressive. Works beautifully.

One question if I can. At step 4 you say :

"4. Unless you like the pizza icon, change icon.png to your own liking."

How do I do that. For instance, if I have an iPhone photo on the iPhone that I took of the person involved, how do I substitute that for the Icon?

Thanks again.

ssscomp

kurosagi

Nov 8, 2007
Very impressive. Works beautifully.

One question if I can. At step 4 you say :

"4. Unless you like the pizza icon, change icon.png to your own liking."

How do I do that. For instance, if I have an iPhone photo on the iPhone that I took of the person involved, how do I substitute that for the Icon?

Thanks again.

ssscomp
size that photo to 60 pixels x 60 pixels and rename it icon.png. place it in the applications folder overwriting the pizza one.

H

Hayesimus

okay. i'm about to go effin crazy. i made four of these at the end of last year. then i got the Categories application and put all of them into a file called peeps. I put that on my dock. I click on peeps, it pops up a springboard and i tap one of the four icons and it direct dials them. Well i just decided to do several more of these today. i made a total of 11 more. i changed the permissions on them and everything JUST like before. they were on my homescreen and i tested one to my mom. it went through just fine. i then put them into the PEEPS folder. I tapped my peeps icon and the springboard came up and they were all there. I tapped a contact. It returned to my homescreen. I tried again. Same thing happened. I tried the app from the homescreen which i hadn't hidden yet and it worked. So i hid all the new apps like i did the previous four. I tried again. It again closed out and took me to my home screen. I tapped peeps again. I tried all of the original four. They ALL work! Just the new ones don't work. What the HECK! i mean. does this make sense to anyone else? I'm really gettin aggitated over here. I mean all the permissions are the same as the original 4. They should all work. what gives!?!?!? John, Tinman? Where are you? lol

kurosagi

Nov 8, 2007
okay. i'm about to go effin crazy. i made four of these at the end of last year. then i got the Categories application and put all of them into a file called peeps. I put that on my dock. I click on peeps, it pops up a springboard and i tap one of the four icons and it direct dials them. Well i just decided to do several more of these today. i made a total of 11 more. i changed the permissions on them and everything JUST like before. they were on my homescreen and i tested one to my mom. it went through just fine. i then put them into the PEEPS folder. I tapped my peeps icon and the springboard came up and they were all there. I tapped a contact. It returned to my homescreen. I tried again. Same thing happened. I tried the app from the homescreen which i hadn't hidden yet and it worked. So i hid all the new apps like i did the previous four. I tried again. It again closed out and took me to my home screen. I tapped peeps again. I tried all of the original four. They ALL work! Just the new ones don't work. What the HECK! i mean. does this make sense to anyone else? I'm really gettin aggitated over here. I mean all the permissions are the same as the original 4. They should all work. what gives!?!?!? John, Tinman? Where are you? lol

try to manually set permissions to 0755 on the newly created contacts.

H

Hayesimus

the permissions are identical to those of the original 4 apps i made. they still aren't working.

dondada

Aug 2, 2007

6. Restart your iPhone.
Dude this is awesome.....thanks for the hint, i just hooked it up and works like a charm...before I was using webclips to do this and was a 2 step operation which opened Safari. This is far better way to dial...

H

Hayesimus

well my GOSH! that was stressful. its way too long and complicated to tell, but i finally got it to work. although i still don't know exactly what the source of the malfunction was. it took me like 20 attempts lol. anywho. go here and view the video i made of the quasi-complete product. here's the link... http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/photo-dial.20728/

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hayesimus

well i figure everyone already knows about this by now but there is an app called springdial that takes care of all of this for you. Yeah. wish i'd had it back then.

H

Hayesimus

yeah honestly its not as smoot as the ones i did my self because i hate that GIANT DISTORTED pic that pops up just before dialing, BUT it is a HECK of a lot faster and easier. All i do is change the icons.

H

Hayesimus

i wonder if there is a way to change that one pic. I would have thought it was the default.png being that it was behaving much like a background image, but I tried replacing one of those with a pic of my friend Dex, and it did nothing different. Same distorted image as before. ANyone know what the default image even is? I mean why is it there if it didn't change anything?