One Touch Jailbreak Confusion

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

riconess22

Nov 3, 2007
I tried the one touch jailbreak via EDGE (don't ask me why), but nothing happened. It simply dumped me out of safary with no sign of anything happening for about 10 minutes so I rebooted my phone. Next day, I get hacker's remorse as I hear all this crap about jailbreak future firmware update worries and yadda yadda yadda. Anyway:

1. Did I even do anything to my phone that should worry me about any future updates? How do I find out or eliminate any doubt that it's back to normal like nothing ever happened?

2. Should I restore to be safe (v. 1.1.1)?

3. What the hell does restore even do? Do I lose my contacts, all of my preferences, pictures?

4. Can one touch jaibroken phones be bricked with updates or only unlocked phones?

Sep 22, 2007
I tried the one touch jailbreak via EDGE (don't ask me why), but nothing happened. It simply dumped me out of safary with no sign of anything happening for about 10 minutes so I rebooted my phone. Next day, I get hacker's remorse as I hear all this crap about jailbreak future firmware update worries and yadda yadda yadda. Anyway:

1. Did I even do anything to my phone that should worry me about any future updates? How do I find out or eliminate any doubt that it's back to normal like nothing ever happened?

2. Should I restore to be safe (v. 1.1.1)?

3. What the hell does restore even do? Do I lose my contacts, all of my preferences, pictures?

4. Can one touch jaibroken phones be bricked with updates or only unlocked phones?
1. If the icon isn't on there by now, you didn't do anything
2. If you want to,but I wouldn't (read #3)
3.. Loose contacts, photos, music, everything
4. I think only unlocked phones.

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
If you synced your phone recently, I'd say within the last few days, restore will not delete anything. The sync data will replace everything on your phone and restore it to the status it was at the time of the last sync.

To tell when your last sync was open iTunes. Click prefeereces, then the iPhone tab. You should see the date and time of your last sync in the table on that screen.

I would suggest syncing often, to preserve the data on your iPhone, because often a restore fixes most of the issues people have.

Hope it helps.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Take note that a sync does NOT back up the photos stored in "camera roll", so be sure you upload those to your computer by other means before restoring.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Even if Installer isn't there, you probably have something on there, so yeah, restore and make sure you've imported photos first.