Only 8 GB max..

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Bummed out that it's only 8 GB max..

OK, I own an 80 GB video iPod. The iPhone only handles a max of 8 GB. Early tests say the phone sound quality is mediocre. What incentive is there to switch. The iPhone can't accommodate my library of music. :(

Wish Apple would have taken this into consideration.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I think the idea is, you could never listen to all of 80 gigs of music in one sitting. In iTunes you can create play lists of your favorite music and listen to that. Even with 8 gigs you'd be unlikely to hear the same song twice in a whole day of listening.

It requires a little more work to create the play lists. But there's no way you're going to get a physical hard drive into a phone this size, and larger size flash drives aren't yet economically feasible.

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
The iPhone is not ment to be an iPod replacement. If you want an 80GB iPhone I suspect you will have to wait a while, like years.

I suspect you will sync your iPhones to your iTunes sort of like a shuffle with maybe one or two small static playlists. At least thats how I plan on using it. Just wait until remote wireless syncing is available. You won't need more than 8MB, you will just sync to your home computer and and download new music from wherver you are. You won't need more than 8MB. (No, thi is not an anounced feature but it is a logical progresion of features.)

And please quote a source for your early tests of sound quality. Since no one has an iPhone yet (outside of a few select individuals) I don't see how they could have done tests yet. iPhone sound quality should be no more or less than a regular iPod.

- SR

brinox

Bronze
Apr 30, 2007
don't forget it plays video! i plan to have a couple movies on here and there along with part of my music collection! wewt

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
OK, I own an 80 GB video iPod. The iPhone only handles a max of 8 GB. Early tests say the phone sound quality is mediocre. What incentive is there to switch. The iPhone can't accommodate my library of music. :(

Wish Apple would have taken this into consideration.

Maybe you mean listening to it through the speaker, or maybe the earpiece?

The sound quality from the headphone port on the iPhone will be no different than that of the iPod.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I'm hoping the iPhone allows for a form of the Shuffle's Autofill.
I recommend you play around with smart playlists. You can make your own custom "Autofill" playlist that is synced to your iPhone.

I have one setup for my 8GB Nano with the following criteria:
  • Last Played is not in the last 21 days
  • My rating is greater the 2 stars
  • Podcast is false
  • limit playlist to 6GB selected by album
It works great to automatically change the music on my Nano every time I sync.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
I recommend you play around with smart playlists. You can make your own custom "Autofill" playlist that is synced to your iPhone.

I have one setup for my 8GB Nano with the following criteria:
  • Last Played is not in the last 21 days
  • My rating is greater the 2 stars
  • Podcast is false
  • limit playlist to 6GB selected by album
It works great to automatically change the music on my Nano every time I sync.

Very nice tip. I'm going to do the same for my nano and my iPhone (when I get it).

iphonenotify

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
I don't know about you guys, but 4gb is plenty for my collection. I have about 500 songs, but they are the best of the best. they all go into my nano perfectly. video could be a problem, cause when i had a video ipod i had 28 gb in my library.

Jun 6, 2007
you know that the 80gig ipod is basically all flash drive, and includes none of the hardware required to make calls. It is a space thing, when you make a phone a lot of phone specific hardware is required. the fact that they can fit 8gig of memory in there (about the size of a nano) along with the hardware required for the phone is impressive. They could very easily make a 80 gig version it would just be big and bulky. Not stylish and sexy.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
you know that the 80gig ipod is basically all flash drive, and includes none of the hardware required to make calls. It is a space thing, when you make a phone a lot of phone specific hardware is required. the fact that they can fit 8gig of memory in there (about the size of a nano) along with the hardware required for the phone is impressive. They could very easily make a 80 gig version it would just be big and bulky. Not stylish and sexy.
The 80G iPod is not flash, but has a 1.5" HD. That's why it can have a large amount of storage without the cost going through the roof. Stuffing 80G of flash in the iPhone would make it cost much more. Some day! :)

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
you know that the 80gig ipod is basically all flash drive
Sorry but that's incorrect. The 80 gig iPod has traditional hard drive. Mechanical hard drives are still the cheapest storage per gig on the market. But there are tons of scientists and engineers racing at breakneck speeds to try to bring the cost of flash down and the storage volume up on flash memory. The guy who does it will instantly be a billionaire! :)

(Okay, it won't be a single person. But the company that does it will instantly zoom to the head of the class.)

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Sorry but that's incorrect. The 80 gig iPod has traditional hard drive. Mechanical hard drives are still the cheapest storage per gig on the market. But there are tons of scientists and engineers racing at breakneck speeds to try to bring the cost of flash down and the storage volume up on flash memory. The guy who does it will instantly be a billionaire! :)

(Okay, it won't be a single person. But the company that does it will instantly zoom to the head of the class.)
I think Apple will be part of that. Over the past few years they have invested a lot in flash memory and look to be doing even more this year. Sometime soon you'll see flash as the only storage medium for all but the biggest iPods, MacBooks, and iMacs. Apple is leading the way in this. :)

Jun 6, 2007

yeah yeah hard drive sure, point remains cant throw 80 gigs in the iPhone without doubling the size

Jeff

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I think the idea is, you could never listen to all of 80 gigs of music in one sitting. In iTunes you can create play lists of your favorite music and listen to that. Even with 8 gigs you'd be unlikely to hear the same song twice in a whole day of listening.

It requires a little more work to create the play lists. But there's no way you're going to get a physical hard drive into a phone this size, and larger size flash drives aren't yet economically feasible.

Well my problem is that I have 17 GB filled on my 80 GB HD so far and that's only audio, so it can't replace my ipod. What I meant by the mediocre sound quality coming from the phone was something I read in a review (CNET, I think) that mentions the quality of the phone conversations was "fuzzy" or something like that.

The total killer for me would be if Cingular decides to raise their data rates in order to use all the phones features. We'll see....

jtlax3

Bronze
May 31, 2007
I am actually looking forward to having the equivalent of an 8GB nano in addition to my 30 GB iPod...

Jun 14, 2007
the iPhone team actually did something really smart only putting 8g for the largest one. if they would of put more memory in it, it would cost even more and that would not push units as fast as a 4 and 8g.