Only One Close Button

Sanjeev

Bronze
Mar 17, 2012
There should be only one close button or option to close all the open/suspended applications in one go. Closing 20 open applications individually is very tedious process.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
There should be only one close button or option to close all the open/suspended applications in one go. Closing 20 open applications individually is very tedious process.
It is a tedious—and unnecessary—process. Manually closing an application is not something one should be doing often. In fact, it is discouraged. This can actually have a negative effect on battery life. Just let iOS manage your apps—it is very good at it.

If you must close (force-quit) an app, you should do it only because the app is misbehaving. It's a "first-line treatment" of sorts to fix one specific app's issues before you resort to more extreme measures like a hard reboot of your phone or a "Reset All Settings."

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If you use three fingers and drag up, you'll be able to close three at one time. While not all at once, this will speed things up.

1. Double click the home button.
  2. Place three fingers over the three apps and slide up to close those apps.
Hope this helps, even just a little bit.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
If you use three fingers and drag up, you'll be able to close three at one time. While not all at once, this will speed things up.

1. Double click the home button.
  2. Place three fingers over the three apps and slide up to close those apps.
Hope this helps, even just a little bit.
Does that increase to five at a time (with five-finger drag up) in landscape mode on the 6 Plus? :D

Now I'm curious, gonna go try it.

Update: Guiess what, I tried and it (spoiler) no it doesn't. But it DID make my phone do a full reboot. C'mon, Apple. What is your QA department smoking?

Jdsmitty10

Bronze
Oct 19, 2010
It is a tedious—and unnecessary—process. Manually closing an application is not something one should be doing often. In fact, it is discouraged. This can actually have a negative effect on battery life. Just let iOS manage your apps—it is very good at it.

If you must close (force-quit) an app, you should do it only because the app is misbehaving. It's a "first-line treatment" of sorts to fix one specific app's issues before you resort to more extreme measures like a hard reboot of your phone or a "Reset All Settings."
Seriously? I am obsessive about closing apps when I'm done using them. U mean I need to change my ways of the double click swipe up every time I go to lock my phone?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Seriously? I am obsessive about closing apps when I'm done using them. U mean I need to change my ways of the double click swipe up every time I go to lock my phone?
He is correct. It's a waste of time and actually has a very slight negative impact on battery life because the apps all have to open from scratch afterwards. The iPhone can manage its own memory just fine and will close frozen apps if it needs the memory.

Jdsmitty10

Bronze
Oct 19, 2010
He is correct. It's a waste of time and actually has a very slight negative impact on battery life because the apps all have to open from scratch afterwards. The iPhone can manage its own memory just fine and will close frozen apps if it needs the memory.
Good to know!

Sent using iCafe app

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I used to close all my apps every day because I thought it the thing to do. I seldom do any now. Sometimes it's necessary to fix issues, but I leave them be for the most part.

Sanjeev

Bronze
Mar 17, 2012
I think human beings just have a compulsion to do things - to push buttons, close apps, whatever. They feel they're missing out if they don't.
Thanks for that valuable information Sir... I was doing the same as other people killing the applications quite often. Even I did it 5 times a day to keep my phone memory free. But now all is clear. Thanks once again.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think human beings just have a compulsion to do things - to push buttons, close apps, whatever. They feel they're missing out if they don't.
Some of it results from a need to clean, but a lot of people don't understand that they aren't all "running." Some are frozen and some are completely closed. There is no way to differentiate between the two states on a stock iPhone. I think fewer people would close them all out if they could see that most of them are completely closed and are only still shown for app switching purposes.