Oops, I used too much data

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tonytien

Aug 2, 2012
So I have an iPhone 4S on AT&T. At the time I got it, I got the 200MB plan (parents). This month, I found out I used this much:

ImageUploadedByiCafe1344183800.524804.jpg

I talked to my parents and they're okay with it, but they suggested I'd find some ways to avoid going over twice again. Currently the balance of the bill is -$9.99 (unauthorized charge on one of the phones removed) so I probably only have to pay $5 since my parents agreed to pay for the $30 before that. (Sorry if that made no sense).

ImageUploadedByiCafe1344184091.706858.jpg

On topic, is there anything I can do to lower my data usage down in the future besides the obvious stuff (using Wi-Fi, etc.) I've tried Onavo from App Store but it doesn't help me save a whole lot of data. Any suggestions?

-Tony

Vonwachtstain

Bronze
Jan 2, 2011
CT, USA
I have Cellular data off most of the time. It's annoying as you don't get and can't send pictures. Only turn it on when at work or driving. And I only use it to look up addresses. 200mb is more than enough for me. You should try using more wifi if available

Girdler

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2012
So I have an iPhone 4S on AT&T. At the time I got it, I got the 200MB plan (parents). This month, I found out I used this much:

View attachment 24270

I talked to my parents and they're okay with it, but they suggested I'd find some ways to avoid going over twice again. Currently the balance of the bill is -$9.99 (unauthorized charge on one of the phones removed) so I probably only have to pay $5 since my parents agreed to pay for the $30 before that. (Sorry if that made no sense).

View attachment 24273

On topic, is there anything I can do to lower my data usage down in the future besides the obvious stuff (using Wi-Fi, etc.) I've tried Onavo from App Store but it doesn't help me save a whole lot of data. Any suggestions?

-Tony
The only way you'll be able to manage this is by using wifi any time you need to use your phone other than calls and texts. I mean, here and there with data won't hurt, but I'd advise as limited as possible.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Download a 3G monitoring app and set it up with your data cap and then open the app to verify what you have used. I have the 3G Data Control app and have checked it against the AT&T data use and it was almost spot on, but the app is way quicker than logging into the AT&T app for a quick glance. There are several 3G monitoring apps that are free.