Oops, I used too much data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonytien, Aug 5, 2012.

1. tonytien

tonytien New Member

So I have an iPhone 4S on AT&T. At the time I got it, I got the 200MB plan (parents). This month, I found out I used this much:

ImageUploadedByiCafe1344183800.524804.jpg

I talked to my parents and they're okay with it, but they suggested I'd find some ways to avoid going over twice again. Currently the balance of the bill is -$9.99 (unauthorized charge on one of the phones removed) so I probably only have to pay $5 since my parents agreed to pay for the $30 before that. (Sorry if that made no sense).

ImageUploadedByiCafe1344184091.706858.jpg

On topic, is there anything I can do to lower my data usage down in the future besides the obvious stuff (using Wi-Fi, etc.) I've tried Onavo from App Store but it doesn't help me save a whole lot of data. Any suggestions?

-Tony

2. Vonwachtstain

Vonwachtstain Member
    Bronze

I have Cellular data off most of the time. It's annoying as you don't get and can't send pictures. Only turn it on when at work or driving. And I only use it to look up addresses. 200mb is more than enough for me. You should try using more wifi if available

3. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

The only way you'll be able to manage this is by using wifi any time you need to use your phone other than calls and texts. I mean, here and there with data won't hurt, but I'd advise as limited as possible.

4. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

What's the cost of bumping your plan up to the next data tier?

5. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Download a 3G monitoring app and set it up with your data cap and then open the app to verify what you have used. I have the 3G Data Control app and have checked it against the AT&T data use and it was almost spot on, but the app is way quicker than logging into the AT&T app for a quick glance. There are several 3G monitoring apps that are free.

6. tonytien

tonytien New Member

3GB, $30 per month.

7. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

And you're paying $20 per month now for 300MB, right. An extra $10/month will solve all your problems.

8. tonytien

tonytien New Member

Actually I'm "grandfathered" in with the old 200MB for $15 a month. I'll think about it.

9. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

The $20/300MB plan is actually a better deal than your grandfathered plan.

10. grahamjohn87

grahamjohn87 New Member

Just make sure you hook up to Wi-Fi wherever possible and maybe download a 3G data tracker so you don't go over again.