Opaque file details, jpg extracted from Live Photo while attaching

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

AppleMicrosoft

Bronze
Nov 21, 2010
I am getting familiar with a new iPhone SE, and finding that the default is for photos to be Live Photos. The following site describes how to convert them to still photos. I haven't decided to join the cloud storage or sharing of files, and my practice has also been to use webmail (gmail) rather than syncing a local mail client to a mail server account (in the cloud). So I decided to mail myself a Live Photo, which has been described as a container for a *.jpg and a *.mov file. It seems that the file attachment process for google's webmail extracts only the *.jpg file for attachment. To test this, I followed this procedure to create a still photo version of the Live Photo: (Google "Duplicating a Photo in the iOS Photos app" with quotes). Both photos attached as "IMG_0009.JPG", and they were both just over 2MG, though not exactly identical in size. I'm not aware of any native way to see what the actual file names for the two photographs, nor to see their file sizes prior to attachment to the email. I'm quite unaccustomed to this opaqueness in the file details, but be that as it may. As handicapping as this is, I'm not ready yet to start installing apps just to see those details.

I was wondering if more seasoned iPhone owners can confirm that there is no native way to get at the file details, and that attaching Live Photos to emails results in extraction and attachment of the *.jpg portion of the Live Photo?

Thanks.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I use an app to convert live photos to video before uploading them to Box or Dropbox. Then if I want to save them back to the camera roll as live photos, I use another app to convert them back to live.

AppleMicrosoft

Bronze
Nov 21, 2010
@RoofMonkey: I actually read that article that you cited, amongst others. It says that attaching a Live Photo to email results in a *.jpg and *.mov file. But that probably depends a lot on how the attachment function works with the OS. As I said, attaching using gmail's webmail interface results in just a *.jpg file. I'm not sure if Live Photo file has a *.jpg extension before being attached, e.g., perhaps the *.jpg standard allows it to act as a container for a still photo *.jpg and the associated *.mov file. The inability to traverse the file system and examine file names, extensions, and sizes makes it impossible to guess what might be happening.

@Ledsteplin: I may consider installing apps as I get more comfortable with the phone. I'm usually quite spartan when it comes to loading apps. I was more curious about what was happening during the attachment process.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I am getting familiar with a new iPhone SE, and finding that the default is for photos to be Live Photos. The following site describes how to convert them to still photos. I haven't decided to join the cloud storage or sharing of files, and my practice has also been to use webmail (gmail) rather than syncing a local mail client to a mail server account (in the cloud). So I decided to mail myself a Live Photo, which has been described as a container for a *.jpg and a *.mov file. It seems that the file attachment process for google's webmail extracts only the *.jpg file for attachment. To test this, I followed this procedure to create a still photo version of the Live Photo: (Google "Duplicating a Photo in the iOS Photos app" with quotes). Both photos attached as "IMG_0009.JPG", and they were both just over 2MG, though not exactly identical in size. I'm not aware of any native way to see what the actual file names for the two photographs, nor to see their file sizes prior to attachment to the email. I'm quite unaccustomed to this opaqueness in the file details, but be that as it may. As handicapping as this is, I'm not ready yet to start installing apps just to see those details.

I was wondering if more seasoned iPhone owners can confirm that there is no native way to get at the file details, and that attaching Live Photos to emails results in extraction and attachment of the *.jpg portion of the Live Photo?

Thanks.
@RoofMonkey: I actually read that article that you cited, amongst others. It says that attaching a Live Photo to email results in a *.jpg and *.mov file. But that probably depends a lot on how the attachment function works with the OS. As I said, attaching using gmail's webmail interface results in just a *.jpg file. I'm not sure if Live Photo file has a *.jpg extension before being attached, e.g., perhaps the *.jpg standard allows it to act as a container for a still photo *.jpg and the associated *.mov file. The inability to traverse the file system and examine file names, extensions, and sizes makes it impossible to guess what might be happening.

@Ledsteplin: I may consider installing apps as I get more comfortable with the phone. I'm usually quite spartan when it comes to loading apps. I was more curious about what was happening during the attachment process.
Yes, they are converted to a single .jpg file automatically when emailed from the phone. You can see the file name if you add the photo to iCloud Drive (and turn the phone in landscape position), which is a native Apple file sharing app. The app can be toggled on in your iCloud settings if you don't see it on your home screen. The file name is of no use, though. It's a random number and Apple restricts access the file system, which mean you won't be able get onto the file system to see the details unless you're jailbroken. The easiest way to get the size (without an app) is to attach it to an email to yourself and hit send. Before it sends it, it will give you options for the sizes and it will list the full size. You can cancel the email rather than sending it.

AppleMicrosoft

Bronze
Nov 21, 2010
I don't really use the cloud (just a personal thing) other than webmail. That's why I posed the question as being about a native means to view the actual file type (extension) and size. You confirmed what I've been finding via google, that it can't be done outside of jailbreaking. That's moving the OS outside of the official version, so I consider it non-native. As for seeing the size prior to emailing, I believe that you're probably referring using the email client app on the phone. For now, I'm just using the gmail webmail, but I might consider using the local email client app at some point. Thanks for that, and for confirming emailing causes the conversion to *.jpg. It's what I saw in the attachment process when using gmail's webmail. What I didn't know was whether a *.jpg file is able to act as a container for a still photo *.jpg and a *.mov file. Being able to compare the size of the file residing on the internal file system versus the size of the attachment would give a hint. Also, if the file on the internal file system was not *.jpg, that might be another hint, e.g., *.xyz, where file type *.xyz was a known container file type with multi-image or multi-file capabilties. (As an example, the Microsoft office file types these days are actually zip files in disguise, and each such file contains a large number of internal files arranged in a file hierarchy).