Open Lock

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Subsidy locks are used to lock the phone to one carrier's network. They're called subsidy locks because most carrier's subsidize the cost of the handsets by requiring the user to sign a two-year contract.

what other kind of open lock are you talking about? Like open your car locks?

jpmihalk

Bronze
May 16, 2007
USA
sorry for my lack of knowledge , yes i meant Unlock or subsidy lock.

i read that "Cingular" is an exclusive provider for this device for 5 f**king years! .

:oops:
In the U.S., yes... it should be available overseas for other providers later in 2007 and 2008.

May 6, 2007
United States
There are many variables that go into how quickly an unlocked version of a phone will be released/ rigged. Seeing as Cingular has exclusive rights to the iPhone for 5 years, there is no way there will be an officially-released unlocked version of the iPhone before the end of those five years.

So, it is now in the hands of hackers and regular people. But again, there are many variables. How many people work on it, how skilled those people are, how tight the iPhone is locked, and many other things will all affect the time span in which the iPhone is locked to Cingular.

I guess it's safe to say that it will be unlocked in America by the time the iPhone is released across the world :D

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Even if someone managed to unlock the phone, if your phone every breaks or needs service, Apple is going to want proof that you're an AT&T customer. Unlocking surely would void any warranty left on the phone, even if you bought extra Apple Care.

Something to think about...

May 6, 2007
United States
Even if someone managed to unlock the phone, if your phone every breaks or needs service, Apple is going to want proof that you're an AT&T customer. Unlocking surely would void any warranty left on the phone, even if you bought extra Apple Care.

Something to think about...
Yes, I agree. Unlocking is definitely not the smartest thing, as you can easily brick, or completely ruin, it by doing this. I am already a Cingular/AT&T customer, so I don't need to worry about unlocking it at this point. I am just checking out this thread and adding input occasionally :D

david77

May 20, 2007
Israel
Yes, I agree. Unlocking is definitely not the smartest thing, as you can easily brick, or completely ruin, it by doing this. I am already a Cingular/AT&T customer, so I don't need to worry about unlocking it at this point. I am just checking out this thread and adding input occasionally :D

i envy you :oops:

maybe i should consider relocation to the US & A

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm sure someone will figure it out quickly enough. IF you're going to use an IMEI unlock service, you probably won't have too much to worry about. If you're going to try to unlock it yourself, then that will be a little more risky. Lord knows there were a bunch of V3 Razrs that got bricked up until January of '06 when the technique finally got simplified.