Open SSH Configuration

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
I am using WinSCP to Open SSH into iPhone 4. I go into var/mobile/Applications and all I get is the Extensions (alpha numeric 27+/- characters!). How do I display the actual App Name that these extensions refer to? I did it once in the past on iPad 1 using iFile, but don't have a clue how I did it.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
You can find the folder easily if you use iFiles at the same path or SBSettings>More>App Folders

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Thanks. I configured that option in Preferences in iFile but didn't find that option available using WinSCP. I did finally track the App down, but am now having difficulty editing the info.plist file. Can't seem to get to a Text Viewer or Property List Viewer in WinSCP. Guess I'll just go back to iFile. I was kind of experimenting with the computer as it is easier to negotiate with sometimes.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Use SBSettings to find the file path for the app (Kadelic posted directions for this - SBSettings > More > App Folders > Select your app) beforehand. This will save you a ton of time. Then access and edit the .plist with iFile or with WinSCP and a .plist editor for Windows.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Use SBSettings to find the file path for the app (Kadelic posted directions for this - SBSettings > More > App Folders > Select your app) beforehand. This will save you a ton of time. Then access and edit the .plist with iFile.
Oh, I agree that is the easiest. Though configuring iFiles preferences to display the name in var/mobile/Applications takes all the guess work out also. I was just trying a different route with WinSCP and found these limitations. Still haven't figured out how to edit the info.plist file that way - I suspect there is a preferences setting somewhere. But, I will just stick with iFile for now.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There aren't any limitations with WinSCP. You can actually do more with it than you can with iFile. You'll need to install a plist editor for Windows, though.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
There aren't any limitations with WinSCP. You can actually do more with it than you can with iFile. You'll need to install a plist editor for Windows, though.
I'll look into that. But, my morning experiment is turning into an all-dayer!;) So, I will probably save that for another day. Thanks for your feedback.