OpenSSH hell

Dec 30, 2007
hey,

well for the past few hours (literally) i've been scanning the net and trying to figure out how to get OpenSSH up and running on my iPod Touch (just got one). I only want to do this so I can put roms on it. I have BSD Subsystem, OpenSSH and Ulctl. The programmar's site for OpenSSH offers absolutely no help to beginner's whatsoever. If anything it just confused me more. The app doesn't show up on my home screen.

Also, through an FAQ or something I got Fugu. But I have no idea how to select my Touch with it.

Can anyone help me out?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
By using Fugu, I assume you're on a Mac. So am I.

First make sure that both your Mac and Touch are getting Internet service from the same Wi-Fi Router. This is necessary for SSH.

Now go into Settings > Wi-Fi on your Touch. Find the Network your Mac is using and connect to it. Then tap the blue arrow next to the Network. You will see the Network's IP address; copy it down.

Now go into Fugu. In the 'Connect To' field, input the IP address you just got. In the 'Username' field, input the word root. Now click Connect.

You will be prompted for a password. Unless you changed it (which you would know of) it is either dottie or alpine. Put one in and Connect. If that doesn't work, try the other password.

- John

Dec 30, 2007
wow, I wish they would have made it that easy on the website. thanks for helping me out

Dec 30, 2007
well hey, do you know why Fugu wouldn't be letting me delete files from the applications directory? It gives me this error:

Couldn't remove directory: Failure

I tried putting (an iPhone app) google maps onto my iPod. Notes and Weather seem to work, but when I start up maps it just quits on me. Any ideas? I hope it's not stuck on there...

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
well hey, do you know why Fugu wouldn't be letting me delete files from the applications directory? It gives me this error:

Couldn't remove directory: Failure

I tried putting (an iPhone app) google maps onto my iPod. Notes and Weather seem to work, but when I start up maps it just quits on me. Any ideas? I hope it's not stuck on there...
Because *nix doesn't allow you to dump whole directories without raising an eyebrow. If you delete all the contents first then you'll have better luck with the empty directory.

Or easier, but far more dangerous still - ssh in from a terminal and do rm /path_to/directory -rf

theiinlive

Dec 30, 2007
alright I'll try it. But on a side note, is Maps for iPod available somewhere?