Opinion on my Camping dilemma...

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by CASEACE79, Sep 12, 2014.

1. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Ok so I have to camp out but where. My closest Apple Store is 1.5 hrs. away and I don't mind the drive but it's gonna be packed. I'd say close to 5,000 before open last year. My Apple Store sells more iphones than any other in the US so they're allotted more stock but the downside is long lines and a long wait. I also have a Best Buy about 45min from the house but don't know about their stock but I could get their later, wait less, and skip a lot of the crowds. What would you guys do?

2. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Head to Best Buy and call it good unless you have a yearning desire to wear depends and stand in line for several hours with 5,000 people.

3. snowtrooper1966

Gold

There is probably already a line started @ that Apple store.
    Unlikely you would even get a device.
    Call and see, could an adventure to hang out with 5k apple folk...

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple Stores in indoor and outdoor malls have strict rules. Last year, Security told me I had to step back from the area where the line would start until 9 pm (the night before launch). I saw a few other people standing around and across the street with lawn chairs, but not many.

At 9pm Apple blacked-out their windows and started setting up all the new decor and electronics. Security brought out the rope to form the line and suddenly 50 or so people appeared from out of no where. They were like ninjas hiding behind garbage cans and in the trees ready to jump down on that prime spot at the beginning of line. I ended up being #29 in line even though I was right there nearby.

5. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

No way I would ever camp out for a stupid phone. I'm going to get mine on same day everyone camps out. Seems crazy to me.

6. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Like Europa said the rules at my mall are strict. No camping out until the night before release. Last year I showed up around 10 and was like in the 400 range in line. I expect it to be a little less busy than last year though since Apple allowed preorders this year.

7. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Just for the record I'm only camping because I couldn't get through on Apples site and not have the ship date pushed back. And getting the phone release day is kinda tradition. Gotten one on release day every year since the 3GS.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are you going to cancel your order first so it resets your eligibility?

9. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Already did but good looking out. And went into my Verizon store to confirm. Not camping out to not get a phone.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Cool. Good luck getting the phone you want. :)

11. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Funny thing is you'd never in a million years guess that the Apple Store in Christiana, Delaware would sell the most iPhones in the US. It's because we don't have sales tax and are so close to so many large cities. Wilmington, DE is only 20 min. away, Philly is like 30-40min away, Jersey is like an hr. and even The lower part of NY is like 4-5hrs away and they have 9% sales tax. Met a bunch of people from NY last year.

12. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

The best thing to do is to hire someone to stand in line for you. :D

13. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

I was honestly considering it.

14. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I did this a few years back when the new halo was coming out.

15. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Ninjas funny LOL
    I believe it.

16. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

I also heard that Apple was streamlining the line process this year. I hope so last year was horrible. Also I heard they aren't handing out the cards like they have in years past but sending a txt as confirmation.

17. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

Did people from NY forget about the price of gas/tolls? I live in NYC and driving to Delaware would be way more than any sales tax could possibly be, not to mention that time is money and spending a full day driving back and forth and hours in line is not the best way to be productive with your time.

18. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I'm in the same boat. Because I couldn't through the site I have a 3-4 week wait for the 6+. I have 2 Apple stores about a half hour away and a Best Buy 5 minutes away. I also have a job interview on Friday. When I went to the Best Buy to preorder on Friday they weren't taking preorders on the 6+. They said they could only take preorders on the 6. That makes me worried about availability on launch. I've had a launch iPhone every year since the original. Of course this year when I'm most excited I don't get one preordered.

19. CASEACE79

CASEACE79 Contributor
    Bronze

Let's complicate things a bit more. I have just found out that my local staples should get some in for launch for the 1st time and aren't advertising that they are getting them due to it being their 1st rodeo and don't know what to expect. It's also 5 min from my house. Hmmm!!!

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And they'll probably get four or five 16GB 6 models in stock.