Opinion question....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dobymax, Dec 11, 2012.

1. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Hey guys and gals! I have a question as I have been wondering about this for a while. I have an iPhone 4s and have had an iPhone since the first one. I have been thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy iii for a while now. One of the main reasons that I would leave the iPhone is that I have come to hate iTunes. I went through a period where my songs wouldn't play and when I "fixed" it, I went from 1495 songs to 122 songs. This was my fault though and I can live with it. Still haven't gotten my movies to play yet, but that another story.
    I was wondering what are the things, if any, that I can do with the iPhone that I can't do with the Galaxy iii? I don't think I can surf the web while talking on the phone (ATT), but what else? As far as books, movies, etc. Can they be transferred over? Or am I just hoping and need to stay where I am? I'm not due for an upgrade until July 13. I still have the iPhone 4 also. Thanks for your opinions/ideas.

2. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I recently purchased and subsequently sold the GS3, went back to my iPhone 5, realized that while I like Android for my tablet, I like the simplicity of iOS for a mobile phone much better.

3. mango44

mango44 Member
    Bronze

I'm kind of thinking about this too (switching to Android in general) because I'm not exactly happy with ios6. What I really like about Android are their widgets and customization. I really miss having the simple feature of having a sticky note on my home screen and seeing my notes right away when I sign onto my screen instead of having to do an extra step to open an app. However, I haven't had an Android since the HTC Hero so I'm not exactly sure what's new with Android these days. I remember it feeling kind of cumbersome and not as user friendly but I'm sure things may have changed since then. I also agree that having to sync our phones through iTunes can get a bit too much and annoying to use.

4. iByron

iByron Member
    Bronze

I always go back n forth on this....I like iPhone cause its so visually appealing I feel like I have to have it but Android 4.1.1 or even 4.2 has caught iOS and some tech reviewers say surpassed iOS. Its smooth and lagless from my 10min experience with it in a store (GSIII and GN2). I like how Play Store is laid out too. Both have great content but iOS has the games I love.....games keep me with iOS, but horsepower is Android yet most Android people are spec freaks but iP5 blows them away on paper......damn you SGX554

5. tofayel

tofayel New Member

I prefer Samsung Galaxy iii for quality with reasonable price and attractive design.

6. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

I did the same thing. It's such a nice screen and I really likes the galaxy for that reason. But, for me, simple tasks took a step or 2 more to complete. Texts and pic messaging was an extra menu option or so to complete. It was slower than my 5 when opening new apps or surfing web. It was just not as fluid as the iPhone, so to ebay it went!

7. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Well they're both really cool phones. I haven't owned and Android phone yet. Keep in mind w/Android what you get out of the box will most likely be the software for the life of the phone. Android's don't get updates regularly like iPhone and the current iPhone will take years to age out. Android not so much. I've heard good things about the new Galaxy though.

8. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

to answer question about "are the things, if any, that I can do with the iPhone that I can't do with the Galaxy iii?"
    i just wanna say i'm sure their maybe a few apps that you can get on the iPhone that you cant't on GS3 and the same goes for the iPhone their are some apps that the GS3 can get that the iPhone can't. but apart from specific apps. their is nothing that the iPhone can do that the GS3 can't but on the other hand their is plenty of stuff the GS3 can do that the iPhone will never be able to do. i'll just name a few here. 1. no nfc on the iPhone, 2. no multi-colored led notifier, 3. no widets. and oh this just came in today c/p>>Galaxy S3 beats iPhone 5 for best device of 2012

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Never? So you can see the future, rom x? As far as which device wins, it depends on what you read. I've seen lists where the iPhone was the number one gadget of the year and the SGS3 didn't even make the list. A weather widget is nice, and we have that, but I'm not interested in other widgets and NFC. The benefits of the Apple ecosystem are more important to me. Even Samsung's chief strategy officer admits to using an iPhone, iPad and Mac due to the benefits of the ecosystem. I don't mind jailbreaking and I can enhance the features with that. Unfortunately, the iPhone 5 jailbreak isn't available yet. Apple has better customer service, tech support and Apple Stores all over the country where you can walk in and get same-day replacements if needed. Also, the iPhone has better apps in general. Android still doesn't have anything that approches the ease of use, installation and quality of Air Video, and that's something I use nearly everyday.

#9 Europa, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  10. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

iPhone vs Android round 82,746,583,927,563,829.

GO!