Opinions requested-Best headphones for iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Regardless of cost, what do you believe is the absolute best sounding set of headphones (individual ear pieces with the click device as well) for the iPhone? I will be mainly listening to rock (90's to current) and want clear base response, good treble and overall dependibility in the product.
I have searched the forums and there are numerous different headphones mentioned but what is the best of the best for clarity?

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I would say Bose are the way to go. But they are darn expensive. But the noise reduction feature is a god-send if you're on a plane and want to listen to music or view a movie on your iPhone.

Regardless of cost, what do you believe is the absolute best sounding set of headphones (individual ear pieces with the click device as well) for the iPhone? I will be mainly listening to rock (90's to current) and want clear base response, good treble and overall dependibility in the product.
I have searched the forums and there are numerous different headphones mentioned but what is the best of the best for clarity?

Flyinb

Jul 9, 2007
www.400N.com
V-Moda Duo

Hand Down the V-Moda Duo with click control, have them and they rock

http://www.v-moda.com/collection/modaphones/vibe duo.aspx

TheJimbo

Sep 10, 2007
Upstate NY
I've had my Bose noise cancelling headphones (over the ear) for years and absolutely love them! Excellent sound quality, noise cancelling....awesome! I've used them with my home stereo and two iPods and they were great. But the iPhone is a major problem. Just like it makes every other electronic device "buzz" when it's within a few feet, it does the same thing with my Bose heaphones - yep, that damn annoying intermittent buzzing. The only way to stop it is to put the iPhone into airplane mode. But I don't want to do that because it defeats the purpose of having an iPhone!

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Judging by your avator, can I assume you ride? If so, I recommend the Etymotic ER6i Isolators. You'd need to either mod the plug or get an adapter but if you want to listen to tunes on the bike, they're great because they block out a lot of ambient noise like wind and the engine. Of course, you have to be much more alert to the other dangers out on the road but I've used mine for several years and haven't had any problems. Buy.com has them for around $70 I think.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Hand Down the V-Moda Duo with click control, have them and they rock

http://www.v-moda.com/collection/modaphones/vibe duo.aspx
These look like what I was looking for. Although the Bose and Shure look good too. How is the quality of the microphone on these v-moda's for phone calls? Do the people on the other end hear you clearly and without you having to hold the mic close to your mouth like I have to do with the cheap ones that came with the phone? I don't use the headset for most calls but the few times that I do the people I call have a hard time understanding me.

TheJimbo

Sep 10, 2007
Upstate NY
So are the Vibe Duo's with click control considered 2nd gen? After reading this thread I went to my local Apple store at lunch to buy a pair of Vibe Duo's. I didn't like the color of the ones on the shelf so I asked one of the guys and he told me I was looking at 1st gen Vibe Duo's and that 2nd gen Duo's would be out in 1-2 weeks. Does this sound right to you guys?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Judging by your avator, can I assume you ride? If so, I recommend the Etymotic ER6i Isolators. You'd need to either mod the plug or get an adapter but if you want to listen to tunes on the bike, they're great because they block out a lot of ambient noise like wind and the engine. Of course, you have to be much more alert to the other dangers out on the road but I've used mine for several years and haven't had any problems. Buy.com has them for around $70 I think.
Thank you, yes I ride every day. My bike is my main vehicle (although I have a Ford Fusion also, it just isn't that fun to drive). I had not thought about wind and engine noise playing a part in it. The adapter that you mentioned, are they small or are they big cumbersome things? What would be perfect for me is to have a set of headphones that have a cord long enough that I can put the phone in my pocket while riding and not have a large blocky thing attached to the cord weighting it down. If they make a sleek adapter then these sound really good.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
If you are interested in this option then go for the Ultimate Buds which pair the ER6i with the original Apple iPhone headset cord to retain the clicker/microphone. I am extremely happy with mine. The sound quality is exceptional I think and I look forward to listening with them just for how beautiful they sound.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
If you are interested in this option then go for the Ultimate Buds which pair the ER6i with the original Apple iPhone headset cord to retain the clicker/microphone. I am extremely happy with mine. The sound quality is exceptional I think and I look forward to listening with them just for how beautiful they sound.
Thank you very much. Those look great and I wont need an adaptor to use them. Any idea if these are sold in any common retail shops or are they online purchase only? I am going on the Rocky Point run in the beginning of November and want to make sure I get a set for the drive down there.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
So are the Vibe Duo's with click control considered 2nd gen? After reading this thread I went to my local Apple store at lunch to buy a pair of Vibe Duo's. I didn't like the color of the ones on the shelf so I asked one of the guys and he told me I was looking at 1st gen Vibe Duo's and that 2nd gen Duo's would be out in 1-2 weeks. Does this sound right to you guys?
sounds about right except that i purchased mine at an Apple store in St Louis on Tuesday.

the Vibe Duos do sound very good, though. Not super great, but very much worth it for $100, i think. The clicker works great, but i have not had a chance to test the mic out yet.

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Id vote vmoda as well. I have ownered Shures and the quality of sound was great but the build quality sucked, you have to wrap them around your ears and every pair Ive owned the plastic on the wire split.

The Vmodas are solidly built and sound great. Id put them up against the Shures. The noise cancelling on the Vmodas is the best I have encountered as well.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Id vote vmoda as well. I have ownered Shures and the quality of sound was great but the build quality sucked, you have to wrap them around your ears and every pair Ive owned the plastic on the wire split.

The Vmodas are solidly built and sound great. Id put them up against the Shures. The noise cancelling on the Vmodas is the best I have encountered as well.
Thank you everyone. Your responses have been great and after thinking it over and hearing all the positive feedback on the V-Moda Duos I think I am going to pick up a set of those. Thanks again everyone.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
In your op, you said "cost no object...", yet you ended up with a bunch of $100 canal phones. I admit, I haven't heard the v-ms, I can tell you that the best sounding in that range are going to be the Etymotics.

If you really don't mind spending some money for superb sound (the antithesis of Bose, imho), unless you get into $1000+ custom earpieces, look at the higher end Shure, Etymotic, and Ultimate Ears. I'm saving up for a pair of UE Triple.fi ear monitors (canal phones). They have 3 drivers!

If you want some canal phones that won't protrude too much to wear under a helmet, check out Sony MDR-EX90. They are back in the $100 range, but due to the design, don't really stick out at all.

Most importantly, before you buy, check out www.head-fi.org
That place has more info and hard core headphone audiophiles than any place I've ever seen. If you really believe even half of what you read, you won't only end up with incredible sounding phones, you might wind up with a headphone amplifier, as well! Every time they get a new forum member, the welcome mantra is "...sorry about your wallet."

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
In your op, you said "cost no object...", yet you ended up with a bunch of $100 canal phones. I admit, I haven't heard the v-ms, I can tell you that the best sounding in that range are going to be the Etymotics.

If you really don't mind spending some money for superb sound (the antithesis of Bose, imho), unless you get into $1000+ custom earpieces, look at the higher end Shure, Etymotic, and Ultimate Ears. I'm saving up for a pair of UE Triple.fi ear monitors (canal phones). They have 3 drivers!

If you want some canal phones that won't protrude too much to wear under a helmet, check out Sony MDR-EX90. They are back in the $100 range, but due to the design, don't really stick out at all.

Most importantly, before you buy, check out www.head-fi.org
That place has more info and hard core headphone audiophiles than any place I've ever seen. If you really believe even half of what you read, you won't only end up with incredible sounding phones, you might wind up with a headphone amplifier, as well! Every time they get a new forum member, the welcome mantra is "...sorry about your wallet."
well, he wants the clicker, so most of those are out the window.