Options for viewing 4K video shot on iPhone 6s/6s Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6S' started by Rafagon, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If one wanted to view 4K video shot on an iPhone 6s at that resolution (not downscaled to 1080p), what would one's options be?

Apple's "Lightning Digital AV Adapter" maxes out at 1080p.

I guess that, currently, the only way would be to view it on a Retina iMac, or on an external 4K monitor connected to a Retina MacBook? Is this correct?

#1 Rafagon, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Record it in 4K and watch it on a monitor that's 4K or higher.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

If it's an iPhone 6 Plus, send the video to three other iPhone 6 plusses and use iOS 9's new video zoom feature to zoom in on the four corners. Then just hit the play button on all four at the same time.

4. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I just got a 65" Samsung 4k TV and I can't wait to watch videos shot on my 6s+ on it! The videos that I've watched on YouTube on the 4k tv are simply stunning. The thought of being able to record and watch my own 4k video is awesome!

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Wow. You're good!

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Do you (or anyone else reading this) know if the 6s can upload its 4K videos to YouTube at 4K?

7. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I don't have much experience with uploading to YouTube, but that would be way cool if we could do this. It would eliminate running a HDMI cable from my MacBook to my TV to play videos!

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Speaking of 4K video, the optical image stabilization of the iPhone 6s Plus seems to be especially effective with 4K videos, while its smaller cousin's digital image stabilization works decently for 1080p video, but less so for 4K.

Here's a side-by-side comparison courtesy of Macrumors via Giga Tech.

9. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I really wish they would've put OIS in the 6s. They were fine with increasing the thickness by 0.2mm (shocker!), why not just go another .2 and give it the same camera?

Well, I take that back. Blood was probably spilled over the 0.2mm increase in thickness, knowing Apple...