Orb and Yahoo Mail Questions

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hey guys, I just spent the last hour searching the forums here and couldnt find anything regarding my issue. I have orb loaded on my PC. I can access my music and custom streams I loaded without a problem. My problem is viewing videos or movies. I converted a ton of movies to MP4. I can import all of them into iTunes, I can load them and watch them on the iPhone. But when I try to access them via Orb, it acts as though it is loading the video but never gives me the play icon. Any ideas guys? Im trying this using wifi so it shouldnt be a bandwidth issue.
I just realized that when I try to stream, the Orb icon in my PCs system tray gives me an error message about needing to configure my firewall. I followed some Orb troubleshooting steps to forward my PC ports and still no luck.

Also, I have the phone set up to retrieve my Yahoo email, it works but it doesn't filter out my spam or junk mail, so I usually spend more time deleting the crap as opposed to reading emails. Is there anyway to access the emails after my email account filters out the spam?

Thanks

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
You are not doing anything wrong. Streaming video from orb does not work on the iPhone.

Here is why:

I use orb to stream xm and Sirius to my iPhone. The stream from these sources is wma. The stream is being sent to orb in wma format from the orb client on your pc. When you visit your orb mycast, it detects you are using safari, converts the stream to mp3 (which the iPhone supports) and it plays.

So the orb client is sending your movies to mycast. You visit mycast with your iPhone. Orb detects you are using Safari, and converts the steam to QT mov.

The iPhone does not support mov. So that is why is times out.

If orb would convert it to mp4 like google video does, then they would play on your iPhone.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
You are not doing anything wrong. Streaming video from orb does not work on the iPhone.

Here is why:

I use orb to stream xm and Sirius to my iPhone. The stream from these sources is wma. The stream is being sent to orb in wma format from the orb client on your pc. When you visit your orb mycast, it detects you are using safari, converts the stream to mp3 (which the iPhone supports) and it plays.

So the orb client is sending your movies to mycast. You visit mycast with your iPhone. Orb detects you are using Safari, and converts the steam to QT mov.

The iPhone does not support mov. So that is why is times out.

If orb would convert it to mp4 like google video does, then they would play on your iPhone.
Great explanation Greg, thank you very much. Am I right in thinking that this is an iPhone software fix, or is it something that cant be changed? If the iPhone starts to support mov then this wouldn't be an issue right? Im sure this has all already been discussed, so I appriciate the response. Fire it up!

So since Orb doesn't work because of the format conversion, what are some other options for streaming movies to the iPhone?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I have been using telekinesis to stream mp4 video's from my mac to my iPhone. I am not sure of the windows equivalent is, but I think there is something out there.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
I have been using telekinesis to stream mp4 video's from my mac to my iPhone. I am not sure of the windows equivalent is, but I think there is something out there.
Ill have to do some more digging. I looked up telekinesis and found a couple of links to other programs for XP. One was soonr.com but that site said remote access for files on the go, nothing about video streaming.
I also found TVersity but I tried that before and had a hard time setting things up, I never got it to work so I went with orb.

Anyway, thanks again Greg...its 420 somewhere!