Orb LiveTV Released!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I haven't seen any threads on this yet, so I'll go ahead and post:

You can now stream live TV (provided you have a PC and a compatible TV card installed) with Orb's LiveTV app. It costs $9.99, but a lot of us have been waiting for this to come out for the iPhone 3G.

I bought it immediately in case it gets pulled from the AppStore...:)

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
ok, now there is absolutely no reason why SlingPlayer can't be in there.

damn hypocrites.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
No TV streaming over 3G though!
Says who? If you're jailbroken, you can install an app from Cydia called "voipover3g". It fools any app into thinking that you're on wi-fi. I bought Orb on the appstore, installed voipover3g, and voila! Streaming live TV over 3g!

Take that Apple! There's always ways around your stupid restrictions! Cydia and voipover3g FTW!

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Says who? If you're jailbroken, you can install an app from Cydia called "voipover3g". It fools any app into thinking that you're on wi-fi. I bought Orb on the appstore, installed voipover3g, and voila! Streaming live TV over 3g!

Take that Apple! There's always ways around your stupid restrictions! Cydia and voipover3g FTW!

Good job.

So, how does the app differ from the Orb web app?

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Good job.

So, how does the app differ from the Orb web app?
I don't really use the web app so I don't know. But it works flawlessly over 3g when you combine Orb with voipover3g. Picture is wi-fi quality.

RossEM

Nov 4, 2008

good idea. i didn't even think about that. i wouldn't have used this for anything other than orb. this is the only real reason i had my phone jailbroken. Orb was the only thing i really missed from my 2g iPhone. and with these two im set.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
good idea. i didn't even think about that. i wouldn't have used this for anything other than orb. this is the only real reason i had my phone jailbroken. Orb was the only thing i really missed from my 2g iPhone. and with these two im set.
The main reason I got the 3g iPhone was to stream live TV over 3g. Finally after months of waiting I got it back! The quality of the picture is amazing over 3g. Can't be happier!

RossEM

Nov 4, 2008
The main reason I got the 3g iPhone was to stream live TV over 3g. Finally after months of waiting I got it back! The quality of the picture is amazing over 3g. Can't be happier!
thats what my main reason was too. i was kinda pissed at first about getting the 3g because i couldnt get it. check your pm too

Spikey911

Bronze
Oct 26, 2008
I can't believe they released this app with no streaming over 3g.

Not much use for streaming pictures and music that I already have on my phone...

Its true glory is streaming video on the go, and thats the one feature they disable lol..

Please please please, Slingbox where are you? Save us Slingplayer!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I can't believe they released this app with no streaming over 3g.

Not much use for streaming pictures and music that I already have on my phone...

Its true glory is streaming video on the go, and thats the one feature they disable lol..

Please please please, Slingbox where are you? Save us Slingplayer!
Are you not reading this thread?! :

http://forums.orb.com/viewtopic.php?t=12496&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

or:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/orb-livetv-released.34059/

Last edited by a moderator:

Spikey911

Bronze
Oct 26, 2008

Yes, but what you show is a work around....

Not that theres anything wrong with it, but it should be allowed natively in the app..

No offense to Orb, but Slingbox does stream live tv in a much better way, and we may never see a Slingplayer with all these network restrictions..

Last edited by a moderator:

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Yes, but what you show is a work around....

Not that theres anything wrong with it, but it should be allowed natively in the app..

No offense to Orb, but Slingbox does stream live tv in a much better way, and we may never see a Slingplayer with all these network restrictions..
You can't say Slingbox is better. Apple is a big bully and restricted live video streaming on Orb to wi-fi only. It's not Orb's fault that their app was compromised like that. All you have to do is install voipover3g and it runs Orb to it's full potential on the 3g.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
exactly, in all likelihood, Orb WANTED the ability for their app to stream over 3G, but either ATT or Apple is preventing them from integrating that feature. If i had to guess, i'd say they have a version of the app all tested and ready to go for use on 3G, but have to sit on it for the time being.

And, truth be told, if they're that paranoid about bandwidth, i can respect that. I certainly wouldn't want my 3G bandwidth being hogged by people watching TV on their iPhone all day at work.

That being said, if they ever release a SlingPlayer that streams over 3G, i will upgrade to the 3G iPhone the SAME DAY. On the other hand, if they limit it to wifi, my v1 will do the trick just fine.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
exactly, in all likelihood, Orb WANTED the ability for their app to stream over 3G, but either ATT or Apple is preventing them from integrating that feature. If i had to guess, i'd say they have a version of the app all tested and ready to go for use on 3G, but have to sit on it for the time being.

And, truth be told, if they're that paranoid about bandwidth, i can respect that. I certainly wouldn't want my 3G bandwidth being hogged by people watching TV on their iPhone all day at work.

That being said, if they ever release a SlingPlayer that streams over 3G, i will upgrade to the 3G iPhone the SAME DAY. On the other hand, if they limit it to wifi, my v1 will do the trick just fine.
Orb already submitted an updated version that streams video over 3g to Apple. But they're just waiting for approval. Just get the 3g iPhone. Jailbreak it. There's always ways around Apple's stupid restrictions as long as your phone is jailbroken.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
So, you can't watch LIVE TV without a TV tuner card? I already have a graphics card. Can I buy a separate TV tuner card?