Orb LiveTV Released!

WPeterson

Bronze
Dec 15, 2008
Says who? If you're jailbroken, you can install an app from Cydia called "voipover3g". It fools any app into thinking that you're on wi-fi. I bought Orb on the appstore, installed voipover3g, and voila! Streaming live TV over 3g!

Take that Apple! There's always ways around your stupid restrictions! Cydia and voipover3g FTW!
oh, this is impressive. thanks very much for sharing.

btw, how about slingbox in iPhone? i'm not familiar with orb tv...

:cool:

mkim209

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
ok, so i downloaded Voipover3g,

does anyone know if youtube will work with this program to access high quality youtube vids?

and if so could someone show me what to put in the voipover3g filter to get it to work?

mkim209

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
Has anyone mentioned this yet?

http://forums.orb.com/viewtopic.php?t=14317

Orb for Mac! Hop to it, folks...

In the bad news department, my "MCE compatible" IR blaster isn't being seen by Orb. I'm looking into alternate drivers for it. Grrr...

i'm sorry to hear that. i have windows XP so i am restricted to the expensive UIRT IR blaster. wish i could try out some mce compatible ones... oh well. at least i know the UIRT will work

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah, I'm not messing with MCE anymore. The one I bought isn't being recognized by orb on my XP system, so I just ordered the USB-UIRT. I've also decided to not use my main system as a server. I'm going to put together my old system and leave it running off a cable box upstairs. That way, even if my DVR is recording off both tuners, I can still tune something else in on the upstairs box.

but yeah, the channel changing thing is a major pain in the butt. Is everyone here using the UIRT?

Rip

Silver
Oct 23, 2007
Northern England
Yeah, I'm not messing with MCE anymore. The one I bought isn't being recognized by orb on my XP system, so I just ordered the USB-UIRT. I've also decided to not use my main system as a server. I'm going to put together my old system and leave it running off a cable box upstairs. That way, even if my DVR is recording off both tuners, I can still tune something else in on the upstairs box.

but yeah, the channel changing thing is a major pain in the butt. Is everyone here using the UIRT?
The USB-UIRT is excellent - when you get it working. (Not USB-UIRTs problem - Orb's!)

I had a nightmare with it on XP. It would cause Orb to crash while learning from my remote.

The solution is to ensure that there is only one copy of UUIRTDRV.DLL on your machine after installation. My XP machine was also seeing the copy I downloaded as well as installed.

Make sure it's in the System32 directory and all will be fine. It works extremely well, though the IR sends could be closer together for my liking.

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Hi guys,

Still trying to work out the issues on my end. Unfortunately my DSL is only 1.5 mbps so I do not know if Orb will work out for me. A buddy is trying to do a similar thing. He has a slingbox. He came across this article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10115850-233.html

Do you think that there is a possibility of this happening:

"Unfortunately, Orb may become the latest victim of Apple and AT&T's rejection policies. Apple recently banned Cast Catcher, a streaming Internet radio application in the same vein as AOL Radio and Pandora (both of which have been available through the App Store almost since its inception), because the application "transfer(s) excessive volumes of data over the cellular network." Orb, with full video and audio streaming over 3G, ostensibly falls into the same category."

Above quote from link located above....

What are your thoughts?

Spikey911

Bronze
Oct 26, 2008
Hi guys,

Still trying to work out the issues on my end. Unfortunately my DSL is only 1.5 mbps so I do not know if Orb will work out for me. A buddy is trying to do a similar thing. He has a slingbox. He came across this article:

"Unfortunately, Orb may become the latest victim of Apple and AT&T's rejection policies. Apple recently banned Cast Catcher, a streaming Internet radio application in the same vein as AOL Radio and Pandora (both of which have been available through the App Store almost since its inception), because the application "transfer(s) excessive volumes of data over the cellular network." Orb, with full video and audio streaming over 3G, ostensibly falls into the same category."

What are your thoughts?
Orb won't go anywhere... Its one of the favorites. Think of all the complaints if they pulled it..

At this point I doubt we will ever see a Slingbox app appear. There is no new info since the beta many many months ago. It will use lots of bandwidth which apparently At&t does not want..
It would be fantastic if they would come out with at least a Wifi only Slingbox version...

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Orb won't go anywhere... Its one of the favorites. Think of all the complaints if they pulled it..

At this point I doubt we will ever see a Slingbox app appear. There is no new info since the beta many many months ago. It will use lots of bandwidth which apparently At&t does not want..
It would be fantastic if they would come out with at least a Wifi only Slingbox version...
I certainly hope it doesn't go away!

I am in a bit of a quandry though....trying to find something that will work without breaking the bank.

I have an older desktop that I would like to convert to some sort of an "ORB CENTER" or something to that extent. I have an ATI TV Wonder Pro Remote Control Edition. It states that it is 720 x 480 MPEG-2 Video capture. Would this work with Orb?

My other "dilemna" is that I have DirecTV as a satellite provider (no cable in my area) so trying to figure out how to get this to work may be next to impossible. I do have a "spare" standard def box that is currently unused.

If I could not get the DirecTV portion to work do you think I could get some TV via an over the air antenna using this card?

Proposed computer is:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Asus K8V-SE Deluxe
1.5 Gb RAM
Win XP Pro OS

Thoughts?:)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Your computer seems up to spec to handle the job. Your video card, I fear, might not be Orb-compatible, however. I know my ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500 isn't, and I'm pretty sure that's higher-end than the TV Wonder. Almost all video capture cards do MPEG-2 conversion, but most do it via software, which makes them incompatible with Orb. I could be wrong, but this rules out a lot of older cards like the ATI's... check it out.

Setting up a DirectTV box is no different than a Cable Box, as long as you can get a standard-definition split off the back. Most cable and satellite converter boxes have multiple outputs. Just pick one you're not using to feed your capture card. For my setup, I'm using Coax to feed my television, and RCA L/R/Video to my computer.

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Your computer seems up to spec to handle the job. Your video card, I fear, might not be Orb-compatible, however. I know my ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500 isn't, and I'm pretty sure that's higher-end than the TV Wonder. Almost all video capture cards do MPEG-2 conversion, but most do it via software, which makes them incompatible with Orb. I could be wrong, but this rules out a lot of older cards like the ATI's... check it out.

Setting up a DirectTV box is no different than a Cable Box, as long as you can get a standard-definition split off the back. Most cable and satellite converter boxes have multiple outputs. Just pick one you're not using to feed your capture card. For my setup, I'm using Coax to feed my television, and RCA L/R/Video to my computer.
Thanks Psylichon....I guess I will try to find one that would work for the computer is my next step. I have an older machine that only has AGP slots so I suppose that is where I need to begin my search. The satellite box I have has a coax output to the TV which would go to the card in the PC.

I have not heard of a "Tuner card" that works with DirecTV but I suppose I could get a large hard drive and use that (basically get the shows dumped to the HDD and then have it "broadcast" out). Live TV would probably be out of the question.

I could not really determine if ORB has the capability per say but from the site I believe it does. Essentially I would record a bunch of stuff to the HDD and then send it out. Make sense?

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
It is isn't it! The only difference really besides the RAM is the fact that I have an ATI 9800XT video card in mine. It used to be my gaming computer and now is sittitng idle in the closet awaiting its next use!

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts?
What's funny is that it's been more than a month since this article was written. As soon as Orblive had 3G capabilities I picked it up. Unless Steve Jobs hits the kill switch, then it's MINE! :laugh2:

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
What's funny is that it's been more than a month since this article was written. As soon as Orblive had 3G capabilities I picked it up. Unless Steve Jobs hits the kill switch, then it's MINE! :laugh2:
Jar,

I may have missed this but are you currently running Orb? If so what is your setup?

Regards,

:)

PS....Santa just passed our neck of the woods...he should be headed out your way shortly!:laugh2:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
GeeGawGadgetGuy sent me this PM and I thought it would be appropriate to respond here as well

GeeGawGadgetGuy said:
here are my ?'s..

1. Just what do I need to purchase in the way of a card that will work with my computer? It is AGP because it is a bit older. What would you recommend?

2. I know I will have to get the Orb TV app for the computer.

3. Is there anything else I would need?

4. I have DirecTV and have a box that will output a coax feed to the video card.

For access remotely, just how does the Orb send the stuff to your iPhone?
1. You don't need a new video card, just a TV tuner card to add to your existing card. It will be standard PCI. You can't go wrong with the Hauppauge HVR line.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods_hvr_internal.html

They all have hardware MPEG-2 encoding. Like I've said, I use the PVR-USB2 which they don't make anymore but can still be found. But that is a USB device, not a card.

2. Orb app is free for the desktop server, $10 for the iPhone app as you know.

3. To change channels, you need to buy a USB-UIRT:

http://www.usbuirt.com/order.htm

It is a $50 unit, which is a lot to change channels. But it's really the only one that absolutely will work properly with Orb. Anything else and you're gambling. I already lost $20 trying other devices that didn't work out. Get the UIRT.

On the desktop server side, you setup your TV tuner card and specify which cable/satellite system/channel lineup matches your service. You then setup the UIRT to match the commands for the remote control for your set-top box. When you select a channel remotely on the iPhone, Orb will tell your desktop computer to send the appropriate signal out the USB-UIRT to your set-top box and change channels.

And that's really all you can do with Orb and your TV from home. You can select and watch a channel live. You can't access the DVR or on-demand programming or anything like that. Just live TV. Now, if you login to Orb on a desktop browser, you can tell your Orb server to record shows on your computer which can then be accessed from your iPhone. I've never really tried that. But they haven't added the ability to start recording from the iPhone Orblive client... yet ;)

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
Dave,

Thanks SOOOOO much for answering and posting so that the others can benefit!

I tried the OrbLive Free version and have it up and running very well on my laptop! Even if for some reason I cannot get it to go "live" with my DirecTV, the app itself is worth it to the max!

I have tested photos, mp3s, videos, podcasts, and documents (PDFs!)...the program just plain works!

I will be getting a larger HDD for my computer and will start snagging TV shows with the capture function. Then I will create a library where they will reside. Until I can get the other hardware, I will be up and running!

I wish I had known about this when I first got the iPhone a month or so ago!

Thanks again for the quick response and answering my ?s.....truly appreciated!