Orb LiveTV Released!

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I just looked at my AT&T bill and since I got Orblive, my data usage has skyrocketed! :laugh2:

My data usage spiked at 510MB between August and September and nosedived to 328MB between October and November. My last bill was mid-November to mid-December and I had used 717MB! :cool: Lucky it's unlimited data!

I'm sure that number will go down in my next statement. I haven't been using Orblive as much lately.

GeeGawGadgetGuy

Bronze
Nov 2, 2008
I am sure my data use will go up considerably. You are 100% on the unlimited data plan! Fortunately for me work has wifi so quality should remain as good as it can get!

bertopl

Jul 13, 2008
a new orblive update came out today. you can now schedule a recording right from the iPhone! also, some small improvements such as the screen controls rotating to landscape when your picture rotates to landscape! this app is getting better and better!

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
a new orblive update came out today. you can now schedule a recording right from the iPhone! also, some small improvements such as the screen controls rotating to landscape when your picture rotates to landscape! this app is getting better and better!
It's funny this comes out as DirectTV launches its commercial campaign featuring Hellboy to show how you can record TV shows from your mobile phone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
New update today for Orblive that substantially reduces video load times. My TV starts in under 15 seconds now. Video files even faster. Very nice!

kadeschs

Jan 16, 2009
Okay, paid the money for this application. I primarily bought this application to stream my media including my documents such as Word, Excel, & PDF. This means a lot to me because software out there just doesn't do it well. My evaluation of this software is good but it's hit or miss on opening Word documents and I haven't been able to successfuly open any PDF documents regardless of size. That's a big let down. Also, their online website is terribly slow. The installation program didn't detect any TV service providers for my zip code like most other softwares do successfuly. I would say this software isn't ready for primetime yet. But it looks to be on the right track and if tweaked would be better than anything else I've seen out there. Maybe even better than the free TVersity, which is saying a lot.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Okay, paid the money for this application. I primarily bought this application to stream my media including my documents such as Word, Excel, & PDF. This means a lot to me because software out there just doesn't do it well. My evaluation of this software is good but it's hit or miss on opening Word documents and I haven't been able to successfuly open any PDF documents regardless of size. That's a big let down. Also, their online website is terribly slow. The installation program didn't detect any TV service providers for my zip code like most other softwares do successfuly. I would say this software isn't ready for primetime yet. But it looks to be on the right track and if tweaked would be better than anything else I've seen out there. Maybe even better than the free TVersity, which is saying a lot.
Slingplayer will be better, but it would also cost more to buy a Slingbox which is necessary.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I can't get TVersity to work with my iPhone. I always get the message that it can't play the file. Do you have any hints for me?

kadeschs

Jan 16, 2009
Well, it depends on file type as to how well TVersity can deliver it. Also, due to shortcomings with Safari, streaming isn't directly supported well. Many times TVersity must transcode the entire file to mp4 before delivering it to your iPhone. I've had more issues with iPhone/iPod devices than something like say a PSP. However, in Settings Transcoder section, you can set speed, compression, optimization, etc. to enhance streamed content, and of course, make sure you have a strong WiFi signal/throughput.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well, it depends on file type as to how well TVersity can deliver it. Also, due to shortcomings with Safari, streaming isn't directly supported well. Many times TVersity must transcode the entire file to mp4 before delivering it to your iPhone. I've had more issues with iPhone/iPod devices than something like say a PSP. However, in Settings Transcoder section, you can set speed, compression, optimization, etc. to enhance streamed content, and of course, make sure you have a strong WiFi signal/throughput.
Thanks, kadeschs. I missed those particular settings the first time around. I'll mess a little with those and see what I get.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hmmm... I downloaded the new Orb for Windows and now I can't get any channels. :mad:

Their forum doesn't seem to be of much help either. I downloaded something and ran that and I'm still not having any luck.