Orb on iPhone not connecting

mkim209

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
is anyone else having the problem? started this morning, and it keeps timing out trying to connect to orb!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
You need to check your internet connection, as well as your router's ports. The Orb site has a complete set of faqs on this subject.

When you log into Orb via your desktop, can you drill down to your files that you want to be able to stream?

mkim209

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
You need to check your internet connection, as well as your router's ports. The Orb site has a complete set of faqs on this subject.

When you log into Orb via your desktop, can you drill down to your files that you want to be able to stream?
yes, internet is fine on both the phone and the computer,

i've been using orb for almost a month now wiht no problem on the iPhone! just all of a sudden this morning i'm having issues.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Orblive works fine on my iPhone. I doubt it's an AT&T filtering issue. I think the issue may be firewall related, port forwarding, etc. Try restarting your router.

Can you succeed using WiFi?

mkim209

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
Orblive works fine on my iPhone. I doubt it's an AT&T filtering issue. I think the issue may be firewall related, port forwarding, etc. Try restarting your router.

Can you succeed using WiFi?
yup works fine on wifi.

i don't see how it could be a firewall or port forwarding issue, seeing as how nothing on my computer has changed, and it was working fine up until this morning

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Are you on EDGE or 3G? What are your quality settings set to in OrbLive - there is a sliding bar that adjusts stream quality.

The other issue could be the network speed. If AT&T is having a network issue, you cellular bandwidth may not be adequate.

My 3G network is reporting between 250 - 500 kbps. No problem with streaming.

mkim209

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
Are you on EDGE or 3G? What are your quality settings set to in OrbLive - there is a sliding bar that adjusts stream quality.

The other issue could be the network speed. If AT&T is having a network issue, you cellular bandwidth may not be adequate.

My 3G network is reporting between 250 - 500 kbps. No problem with streaming.
i'm on 3g, and i've always used orb with max quality settings. i guess it could be network speed issue.

how do you check your 3g network speed?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I use an app called iNetwork. Try reducing the quality settings on your iPhone. I keep my bar at the high end of 3G (just below WiFi).

mkim209

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
I use an app called iNetwork. Try reducing the quality settings on your iPhone. I keep my bar at the high end of 3G (just below WiFi).
still not working...

i guess i just have to wait it out and see if it improves

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I haven't seen any news of network outages. Is your 3G functioning otherwise? Have you tried streaming any other content - video or audio directly to the iPhone? It's quite possible that AT&T is doing some network maintenance in your region, and has throttled down bandwidth.

mkim209

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
yup... i can stream high quality mxtube video's fine

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Have you tried restarting the iPhone? Restarting Orb? Restarting the router and PC?

Another possibility is a corrupt app. You might want to try deleting it and then reinstalling.

In Md, I've had no problems (knock on wood) with streaming over 3G.

What is your upload speed on your router?

I know it's possible, but I would certainly hope that AT&T wouldn't filter apps that users are buying legally via the app store. You may want to start another thread with a poll asking for users who have seen a similar problem. It may help to understand if this is a regional or national issue.

mkim209

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
Have you tried restarting the iPhone? Restarting Orb? Restarting the router and PC?

Another possibility is a corrupt app. You might want to try deleting it and then reinstalling.

In Md, I've had no problems (knock on wood) with streaming over 3G.

What is your upload speed on your router?

I know it's possible, but I would certainly hope that AT&T wouldn't filter apps that users are buying legally via the app store. You may want to start another thread with a poll asking for users who have seen a similar problem. It may help to understand if this is a regional or national issue.
yup, restarted the phone, computer, modem, orb, everything.

already deleted and reinstalled app.

http://forums.orb.com/viewtopic.php?p=46530#46530

it looks like people all over the country are running into this problem, not just in my area

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm having no issues streaming video or live TV on Edge right now. I don't think it's At&t.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
just tested mine without and issue...

Do you have a friend with an iPhone that you wouldn't mind if he tried connecting to your account or vice versa?