Orb on iPhone.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Ok so I just ran some tests to see how well Orb worked with iPhone.

Video- Works great aslong as the videos are already in mp4 form. Good if you don't have the space to put it on your phone.

Photos- Worked like a charm.

Music- Worked great too.

Internet Tv - doesn't work :(

Now my Biggest question is would the Tv Turner functionality work?

I don't have a tv turner in my computer so I can't test that out, but if someone does have one can you please test it out for orb, I'm ready to go buy a tv turner card if this works and I can watch tv on my iPhone.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
It sucks over edge. I used to at work's wifi so couldn't tell you about the port forwarding, and I'm using orb 2.0

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I tested orb 2.0 beta on the iPhone and came up with the same results as you.

However I tested the TV tuner card, and I could not get it working. I don't think the iPhone supports the format the TV Tuner streams in.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I tested orb 2.0 beta on the iPhone and came up with the same results as you.

However I tested the TV tuner card, and I could not get it working. I don't think the iPhone supports the format the TV Tuner streams in.
damn, that was the thing i was most excited about. I went to settings and for stream i saw 3gp which the iPhone supports. Did you try messing with any of those settings?

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
ok so heres the supported formats for the iPhone:

The files you play have to be supported by the iPhone:
  • H.264 Baseline Profile Level 3.0 video, up to 640 x 480 at 30 fps.
  • MPEG-4 Part 2 video (Simple Profile)
  • AAC-LC audio, up to 48 kHz
  • .mov, .mp4, .m4v, .3gp file formats
  • Any movies or audio files that can play on an iPod
This tv tuner says:

MPEG Encoder
Video Encoder generates any of the following output formats: MPEG 4/2/1 & AVI

Record and Play in MPEG 4/2/1 format

High-Quality Real-Time MPEG 4, 2 & 1 Encoding (Note: MPEG4 is compatible with DivX or Microsoft MPEG4. You have to download the codec by yourself.)

http://www.pctekonline.com/powmtusbtvtu.html

ok So if these thing can stream in something that the iPhone support, wouldn't the Tv tuner be able to work?
anyone with more insight on this please comment.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
damn, that was the thing i was most excited about. I went to settings and for stream i saw 3gp which the iPhone supports. Did you try messing with any of those settings?
Changed the settings to 3GP and still no go with the tuner. I have yet to test the other formats but I doubt it would do any good when the native format doesn't work.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
so... I guess i should have read this before i went out an bought a tv tuner.
I bought the winTV-PVR150 . the one orb suggested .As i read on this post no one has had luck ... Its was a no go to get streaming tv to the iPhone for me too . hey it works to stream on another computer . but Im not to excited over that, i want to stream tv on my iPhone . that would be great to do if im running late to watch lost or 24 or I'm out of town . so i bought the tv tuner just to test it .. my friend thought i was crazy to go out of my way to buy it just to see if it worked . But hey i like to test things sometimes to try to get it to work . I was experimenting with Apple quicktime broadcaster. that was a no go for me .. Apple quicktime pro recorder did not work streaming . but i hooked up my camcorder through firewire and did a test record playing a tape... (as a test) .. i can hook my composite cables up to the tv and then loop them through my camcorder to my firewire on my mac .. then with quicktime pro I recorded it. this records in an iPhone compatable format... so then I used iPhone remote to locate the file recorded and then play it ....
the file does not stream while it is being recorded . only after i stop recording I can stream it on the iPhone.

If there is a program for Mac that can record iPhone compatible video through the firewire port and also at the same time stream to the iPhone it would be sweet. :cool::laugh2:

Ok so I just ran some tests to see how well Orb worked with iPhone.

Video- Works great aslong as the videos are already in mp4 form. Good if you don't have the space to put it on your phone.

Photos- Worked like a charm.

Music- Worked great too.

Internet Tv - doesn't work :(

Now my Biggest question is would the Tv Turner functionality work?

I don't have a tv turner in my computer so I can't test that out, but if someone does have one can you please test it out for orb, I'm ready to go buy a tv turner card if this works and I can watch tv on my iPhone.