Orb on the iPhone not working properly

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

mario787

Aug 4, 2007
I'm having trouble with Orb on the iPhone. I can stream pictures and files, but but i can't stream music or videos on the iPhone. Specifically, I always get a play sign with a cross through it indicating that it cannot be played.

It's not a firewall issue because i can stream music and videos through orb to my macbook through safari or firefox.

I checked orb's forums but there is hardly any activity there and the website does not address any problems or troubleshooting for the iPhone. It's a shame though, their interface is awesome on the iPhone. Thanks for any help, Mario

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm having trouble with Orb on the iPhone. I can stream pictures and files, but but i can't stream music or videos on the iPhone. Specifically, I always get a play sign with a cross through it indicating that it cannot be played.

It's not a firewall issue because i can stream music and videos through orb to my macbook through safari or firefox.

I checked orb's forums but there is hardly any activity there and the website does not address any problems or troubleshooting for the iPhone. It's a shame though, their interface is awesome on the iPhone. Thanks for any help, Mario
I can stream music OK, but video has to be pre-converted to a native iPhone format to work. I tried that with one clip and it then worked.

Alas this is not a workable solution for me: I might have 300 videos but will only play 3 or 4 on my iPhone via Orb. As I won't know which 3 or 4 in advance converting 300 just to safe is a bit overkill.

I've tested TVersity and it has the same limitation. This is a reply I got from them over this issue:
"Regarding video, this is indeed a shortcoming of the MP4 container. There are two possible solutions, the first is wait till the iPhone supports RTSP (I am sure it is coming in a firmware update soon) and the second is pre-convert your videos to MP4. Some people do it by adding a whole folder from TVersity to iTunes as an RSS feed (see our quickstart guide for more info), configuring iTunes to download all the videos (not just first one) and letting it run overnight. In the morning their iTunes library has all those videos ready to play, they can copy some to the iPhone and stream the rest to the iPhone. Note that once the conversion is done streaming will work instantaneously."

--
Mike