OrbLive - Streams Audio, Video, TV...

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I just got through installing OrbLive. It's absolutely awesome. Now I can stream all of my music AND movies from my computer directly to my iPhone. It's simple to install and works really good.

There's a video of it on youtube....

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Looks pretty awesome........:)
Yeah, I'm still checking it out. It's a lot like the Simplify Media program except you can stream video, and TV too. So far I've got 870 songs and 12 full length movies able to stream from my laptop directly to my iPhone via wifi. I haven't checked to see if it will work over Edge yet.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've used this service for a while now, and it works quite nicely with the iPhone. Last time I tried though, I couldn't get it to convert videos properly. Basically they only worked if they were mp4's natively.

I remember how impressed folks were when I used to use Orb to stream youtube clips to my old phone. How times change.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I've used this service for a while now, and it works quite nicely with the iPhone.
You mean this has been out for a while? How come it came up in the Recent Packages section on Installer today? I've never seen it in Installer before.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oh wow, I didn't' realize we were talking about an app here. I've always used it via the web interface. I'll have to check this out, thanks.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Sorry, I guess I didn't state it in my first post. It's a new app in Installer. When I found the video on YouTube I noticed it was only a few hours old. I'm assuming this app was just released today.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Thanks, it works great! Even for videos. It seems if your desktop can play it, Orb can now convert it for streaming to the iPhone. It's really fast on Wifi, too! Very impressed.

Keep in mind this is a free streaming service. And I never used this particular service before, but apparently you can set it up with your cable box/video capture card to stream your catv as well. Very slick interface with this new app... check it out folks!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
WOW! I just turned off Wifi and tried some streaming over Edge. Let me say, I'm extremely impressed. Maybe it's just a good Edge night for me, but I'm here in my basement streaming stuff within about 10 seconds of selecting it with no hiccups. How do they do that?

You need a fast computer with a fast upload to really take advantage, but short of the lack of fast forward on videos, they freakin' nailed this inteface!

(also, volume doesn't seem to work for videos)

Everyone needs to check this one out. Great find, GADeputy

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
windows only? curious...
Nope. Cross platform.

I don't want to gush, but this thing is really blowing me away. This is some noteworthy stuff right here. I've been using Orb for almost 2 years now but it's FINALLY come of age.

3G what? Edge FTW.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the application needed on your computer appears to only be for windows... unless I'm missing something...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow, you're right. I'm sorry, that does appear to be the case.

I could have sworn they were always cross-platform but I appear to be dead wrong.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Do video and audio need to be in WM format?
No, it's streamed everything I've tried, and I have just about every format of video you can think of. Most of my music are MP3.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
No, it's streamed everything I've tried, and I have just about every format of video you can think of. Most of my music are MP3.
That is indeed great. :)

Just to be sure, did the original version of Orb require such a conversion to stream directly from your PC through Orb? I ask because the native Quick Time player in the iPhone was very specific about media types it was willing to stream. I had Orb installed, but gave up in favor of iPhone Remote. In order for me to stream video via iPhone Remote, I had to downgrade the bit rate to rather low levels. I could play over EDGE or WiFi, but it does get old watching movies as though you left your glasses off.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
You mean this has been out for a while? How come it came up in the Recent Packages section on Installer today? I've never seen it in Installer before.
You could use it before by opening a safari browser and typing in the address of your PC Orb server. It was just recently made into a native app for the iPhone.
Ive used both versions and this one seems more reliable for streaming video than when I would use safari. However, anyone notice that it doesn't seem like it sizes the video correctly? I can still see a little bit of my wallpaper behind the video playing.
The buffer isn't as painful either. I used to have to wait for the buffer for like 5 minutes even on WiFi but now my movie just starts after about a minute.
So far I like this app better than the safari version.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Just to be sure, did the original version of Orb require such a conversion to stream directly from your PC through Orb? I ask because the native Quick Time player in the iPhone was very specific about media types it was willing to stream.
No, yeah, I know what you're talking about. I had all sorts of codec issues before streaming via the web interface (on old phones, the iPhones, even other desktops), but this client seems to nail it. Everything just works as advertised.

I'm feeling really bad for you Mac folks right now, for real. This is killer app material in my book...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I can still see a little bit of my wallpaper behind the video playing.
The buffer isn't as painful either. I used to have to wait for the buffer for like 5 minutes even on WiFi but now my movie just starts after about a minute.
So far I like this app better than the safari version.
Yeah, there will be a small border of your desktop behind the video. And you're waiting a minute for video on wifi? Mine loads much faster... what kind of computer are you running?