OrbLive - Streams Audio, Video, TV...

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Yeah, there will be a small border of your desktop behind the video. And you're waiting a minute for video on wifi? Mine loads much faster... what kind of computer are you running?
Its a home built PC but it has decent specs. I actually just restarted ORB and it seems to be even faster. Either way its much faster than it was on safari. I just wish that border wasn't there, just a pet peave I guess.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Have you noticed that navigation is very iphone-like... side-swipe to go through pictures, rotate for landscape. They even nailed coverflow and UI animation. I'd say this is by far the most well-designed app I've seen for the iPhone yet. Feels almost seamless.

And so far very stable. Only crashed once since I've been using it.

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
A little noobie question please ?!

Got Orb on the pc now and app on the phone.
I have my movies on my c drive, so how exactly do you set it up on the pc?
undoubtedly its self explanatory ...but...anyone?
thanks

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Got Orb on the pc now and app on the phone.
I have my movies on my c drive, so how exactly do you set it up on the pc?
undoubtedly its self explanatory ...but...anyone?
thanks
Right click the icon in the tray on your desktop and go to configuration. In the media tab, you can select which folders you store your various types of media.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Have you noticed that navigation is very iphone-like... side-swipe to go through pictures, rotate for landscape. They even nailed coverflow and UI animation. I'd say this is by far the most well-designed app I've seen for the iPhone yet. Feels almost seamless.

And so far very stable. Only crashed once since I've been using it.
The coverflow isn't working to well for me. If Im within a specific album and I turn the iPhone landscape, it will display that album art for every song. But if I go to that artist and turn it sideway it doesn't show the album art, it just says Orb on all the covers. Anyone else notice this? I wonder if I have mine set up wrong. Its set to access my iTunes folder but only 60% of my albums have art. Maybe I need to do a playlist with just those albums? I don't know.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Man this app is great. I'm so glad I noticed it's release last night. I was at work today and my buddy was complaining how he couldn't fit all of his movies on HIS iPhone so I pulled my phone out and showed him how I could watch all 40 of my movies... all without any of them being stored on my phone.
Needless to say, I converted another iPhone virgin. He's jailbreaking his phone tonight. :cool:

Now all we need is the ability to view/play each others files.
Imagine, being able to view thousands of movies all without loading a single one onto your phone.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I seem to remember the web-based version having some sort of sharing provisions. I could be wrong though.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I have live TV streaming from 60 channels everywhere.

Excellent, I'll never be without the tube anymore. :laugh2:

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'm having problems configuring it. First off, I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 PCI TV card installed with Beyond TV. In the configuration program, I can't set up my remote. It tells me to press and hold "0," but when I do, nothing happens. When I log on to Orb TV on my iPhone and select Live TV, I get a -1 error and an "unknown error." Any ideas?

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I'm having problems configuring it. First off, I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 PCI TV card installed with Beyond TV. In the configuration program, I can't set up my remote. It tells me to press and hold "0," but when I do, nothing happens. When I log on to Orb TV on my iPhone and select Live TV, I get a -1 error and an "unknown error." Any ideas?
I have the same card. Is Beyond TV running in your tray?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Man this app is great. I'm so glad I noticed it's release last night. I was at work today and my buddy was complaining how he couldn't fit all of his movies on HIS iPhone so I pulled my phone out and showed him how I could watch all 40 of my movies... all without any of them being stored on my phone.
Needless to say, I converted another iPhone virgin. He's jailbreaking his phone tonight. :cool:

Now all we need is the ability to view/play each others files.
Imagine, being able to view thousands of movies all without loading a single one onto your phone.
That's a cool feeling when you 'convert' someone. I was showing a buddy from work vWallpaper and a couple other apps the other night in a pub, and had a stranger come up and he was amazed that these were not 'SDK apps' - don't think he's a convert, but it's also just fun seeing folks see what is possible ...

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Yes. Whenever I try to play Live TV from Orb on the iPhone, I get "Orb error -1" and "unexpected error." And I still don't see why I can't seem to configure the remote...
I would try closing BeyondTV. I don't have any DVR software, just the driver installed for my card. Maybe there is a conflict problem?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I would try closing BeyondTV. I don't have any DVR software, just the driver installed for my card. Maybe there is a conflict problem?
I think I need to wait for the channel guide to finish downloading. I almost had it playing once, but I think I had a bad codec...

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Not to segway but could you guys give me a quick "cliff note" version of how you get live TV on your PC. I know there is a video card involved, do you just run coax to the video card? Does this only work for cable? I have DTV and nothing comes out of my coax without a DTV box and access card when I plug it directly into a TV.

On another note, I tried streaming over EDGE in my car today and it was acting funky. It would connect to my server, it would load up my artist or videos, but when I selected something to play, it would load that up too and act like it was playing, but there was no sound. Anyone experience that?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Not to segway but could you guys give me a quick "cliff note" version of how you get live TV on your PC. I know there is a video card involved, do you just run coax to the video card? Does this only work for cable? I have DTV and nothing comes out of my coax without a DTV box and access card when I plug it directly into a TV.

On another note, I tried streaming over EDGE in my car today and it was acting funky. It would connect to my server, it would load up my artist or videos, but when I selected something to play, it would load that up too and act like it was playing, but there was no sound. Anyone experience that?
How's your upload connection speed? That could impact the ability to stream adequately.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007

Here's how I have my live TV setup:
1. I have a Dell Angel USB Tuner that's a few years old, but works great. It looks like this:

2. I plugged in my coaxial cable wire directly into the Tuner and connected the Tuner to my PC via USB.

3. I had to first configure my Angel USB Tuner with the TV Tuner software on my PC. Even though my Angel USB Tuner works with Windows Media Center, I much prefer BeyondTV (they have a 30 day free trial). I'm not sure if this step is necessary, but for me, I had to configure my TV Tuner with BeyondTV before Orb would work.

4. After getting my Tuner configured with Beyond TV, I launched Orb on my PC, went to Configuration and went to the "Set up TV signal and provider". Since I'm hooking up my cable directly to the TV Tuner (as opposed to a set-top box) I chose "I don't have a set-top box". I just followed the rest of the instructions on getting my channel listings. Now if you wanted hook your Tuner through your cable/satellite top box, I believe you have to purchase an IR blaster in order to change channels. So for me, it was easier to just directly connect my cable into the Tuner.

5. Fire up your iPhone and enjoy your live TV! I initially had some problems playing live tv on my iPhone, but figured out that it was due to incorrect codecs. If you have the same problem, launch Orb on your PC and go to Configuration-->Advanced-->Codecs and play around with the different codecs until you find one that works for you.

Hope that helps.

jjsquizz

Bronze
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles
WOW! I just turned off Wifi and tried some streaming over Edge. Let me say, I'm extremely impressed. Maybe it's just a good Edge night for me, but I'm here in my basement streaming stuff within about 10 seconds of selecting it with no hiccups. How do they do that?

You need a fast computer with a fast upload to really take advantage, but short of the lack of fast forward on videos, they freakin' nailed this inteface!

(also, volume doesn't seem to work for videos)

Everyone needs to check this one out. Great find, GADeputy
I need some help. I installed the app. I think I did everything it said to do, but on my iPhone I get a message saying Orb is offline. How can I resolve this, if you know.