OrbLive - Streams Audio, Video, TV...

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
A lot of you might have trouble downloading your channel guide with Orb. Apparently, the servers are somewhat overwhelmed by all the new users, but they're working on getting it straightened out.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Just stared using this and it works pretty sweet.....on edge only for me. I have to turn my wifi off on the phone or it gives me multiple error messages. I am trying to stream from my laptop over our home network and it only works with my phone on edge. I would really like to try this over the wifi, I assume it will be faster. Any ideas?

Linksys router, btw. I have tried messing with the wireless security options, but don't know exactly what I'm doing.

KC2576

Sep 16, 2007
will this allow me to watch all 250+ priemum DTV channels through my iPhone or just basic cable?

also recommend a tv tuner card for me... i have a laptop gateway 680

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
So I went out and bought a WinTV-HVR 1600. I connected it by doing the following:

I plugged the feed from the wall into the digital cable box. I then split the line out from the Digital cable box, one going to the TV, the other going to the WinTV card. However when I try to search for channels, I get nothing at all (the same goes for ORB on the iPhone, just static).

I thought this seemed like the right way to hook it up if I wanted all the digital cable channels on my comp and thereforee iPhone, but just to test, i tried splitting the wire before it got to the digital cable box. The wire going from the splitter to my WinTV card would then just be basic cable 1 - 76 or whatever, but still the scan turns up nothing, the drivers are working and installed. Any ideas for this one?

1box1

Jun 4, 2008
unexpected error1

Okay, I finally got it to play, but I can't change channels through the iPhone...
Thanks for earlier in another post pointing me to the right source for installing orb on my iPhone. I can stream to other computers but i get the error when i try to log in on iPhone (error 1) (unexpected error) sounds like u might have had the same problem how did you fix it. if anyone knows i'd really appreciate it. Thank you

1box1

Jun 4, 2008
fixed

Thanks for earlier in another post pointing me to the right source for installing orb on my iPhone. I can stream to other computers but i get the error when i try to log in on iPhone (error 1) (unexpected error) sounds like u might have had the same problem how did you fix it. if anyone knows i'd really appreciate it. Thank you
i managed to fix the problem...it was all because the date and time were wrong on iPhone...thanks

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Here's how I have my live TV setup:
1. I have a Dell Angel USB Tuner that's a few years old, but works great. It looks like this:

2. I plugged in my coaxial cable wire directly into the Tuner and connected the Tuner to my PC via USB.

3. I had to first configure my Angel USB Tuner with the TV Tuner software on my PC. Even though my Angel USB Tuner works with Windows Media Center, I much prefer BeyondTV (they have a 30 day free trial). I'm not sure if this step is necessary, but for me, I had to configure my TV Tuner with BeyondTV before Orb would work.

4. After getting my Tuner configured with Beyond TV, I launched Orb on my PC, went to Configuration and went to the "Set up TV signal and provider". Since I'm hooking up my cable directly to the TV Tuner (as opposed to a set-top box) I chose "I don't have a set-top box". I just followed the rest of the instructions on getting my channel listings. Now if you wanted hook your Tuner through your cable/satellite top box, I believe you have to purchase an IR blaster in order to change channels. So for me, it was easier to just directly connect my cable into the Tuner.

5. Fire up your iPhone and enjoy your live TV! I initially had some problems playing live tv on my iPhone, but figured out that it was due to incorrect codecs. If you have the same problem, launch Orb on your PC and go to Configuration-->Advanced-->Codecs and play around with the different codecs until you find one that works for you.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the details enigmanic. Do you use this with DirecTV or cable? Im concerned that it wont work with DTV since you need the access card in the set top box to get any channels. I wouldn't think plugging the coax directly into the tuner card would work without an access card. Maybe Im wrong.
Either way, I think Ill be buying a tuner card soon and giving this a try. Either that or wait for Sling to do something soon!

JuSeDing

Bronze
Mar 1, 2008
Torontoo
This application works great, but the problem which i dislike is that you can't fastword or rewind while you're playing a movie... bummerrrr :(

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks for the details enigmanic. Do you use this with DirecTV or cable? Im concerned that it wont work with DTV since you need the access card in the set top box to get any channels. I wouldn't think plugging the coax directly into the tuner card would work without an access card. Maybe Im wrong.
Either way, I think Ill be buying a tuner card soon and giving this a try. Either that or wait for Sling to do something soon!
iMerlin,
I have cable. I'm pretty sure OrbLive works with satellite too, though the setup process may be a bit more complicated, as you will need an IR blaster/transmitter to change channels. Here's a couple of posts about Orb and DirectTV
http://forums.orb.com/viewtopic.php?t=2915
http://forums.orb.com/viewtopic.php?t=3094

Personally, I think you're much better off with a Slingbox -- that is, IF Apple allows them to release a Slingplayer application for the iPhone.

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
OK I've had it with this app! It works one minute, then it stops working and gives me different errors. :mad:

1box1

Jun 4, 2008
it was perfect for me...been watching Euro cup on my pc at work and on iPhone. No lagging, no problems. By far my favourite app.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Not to segway but could you guys give me a quick "cliff note" version of how you get live TV on your PC. I know there is a video card involved, do you just run coax to the video card? Does this only work for cable? I have DTV and nothing comes out of my coax without a DTV box and access card when I plug it directly into a TV.

On another note, I tried streaming over EDGE in my car today and it was acting funky. It would connect to my server, it would load up my artist or videos, but when I selected something to play, it would load that up too and act like it was playing, but there was no sound. Anyone experience that?
Hey iMerlin did you figure out how to solve this problem? The same thing happens to me. Any audio or video file goes to the ipod like interface but then there is no sound or video. The same happens even over wifi. The only thing I have got to work successfuly is image files. Anyone know what's going on?

EDIT: To clarify further, when I finally choose an mp3 or whatever to listen to, it goes straight to the ipod interface and shows the title of the track, the length, but the time just sits at 0:00. It never tells me "buffering" at all. I'ts very frustrating and I can't find anything online to solve the problem!

One more EDIT: I tried the web based version of ORB, and audio files work fine, although videos (the only 2 I have on my pc) say that they are not in the correct format to be played on the iPhone, meanwhile one of them was downloaded from iTunes! I wonder what's letting the web based version of Orb to work (at least with audio) and not the native version? I reinstalled it and still the same thing. Any takers?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Hey iMerlin did you figure out how to solve this problem? The same thing happens to me. Any audio or video file goes to the ipod like interface but then there is no sound or video. The same happens even over wifi. The only thing I have got to work successfuly is image files. Anyone know what's going on?

EDIT: To clarify further, when I finally choose an mp3 or whatever to listen to, it goes straight to the ipod interface and shows the title of the track, the length, but the time just sits at 0:00. It never tells me "buffering" at all. I'ts very frustrating and I can't find anything online to solve the problem!

One more EDIT: I tried the web based version of ORB, and audio files work fine, although videos (the only 2 I have on my pc) say that they are not in the correct format to be played on the iPhone, meanwhile one of them was downloaded from iTunes! I wonder what's letting the web based version of Orb to work (at least with audio) and not the native version? I reinstalled it and still the same thing. Any takers?
I think this is caused by not exiting OrbLive properly. If you just press the home button it leaves orb connected which I think is the problem.
So I restarted Orb on my PC and made sure I exited OrbLive on the iPhone by going into the OrbLive settings tab then press exit, instead of just pressing the home button. I then restarted my iPhone. Since then, I haven't had one problem with OrbLive. I've streamed mp3s over EDGE as well as Videos but the video quality isn't quite good enough for me so Ive been sticking with mp3s while on EDGE. On wifi everything works great for me.
There has been a couple of times that it just sat there at the iPod interface and I just let it sit for a while, and it finally started up. If it kept sitting there I would exit out of OrbLive (again, using the OrbLive settings tab, then tapping exit) and restarted Orb and it was all good again.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
I think this is caused by not exiting OrbLive properly. If you just press the home button it leaves orb connected which I think is the problem.
So I restarted Orb on my PC and made sure I exited OrbLive on the iPhone by going into the OrbLive settings tab then press exit, instead of just pressing the home button. I then restarted my iPhone. Since then, I haven't had one problem with OrbLive. I've streamed mp3s over EDGE as well as Videos but the video quality isn't quite good enough for me so Ive been sticking with mp3s while on EDGE. On wifi everything works great for me.
There has been a couple of times that it just sat there at the iPod interface and I just let it sit for a while, and it finally started up. If it kept sitting there I would exit out of OrbLive (again, using the OrbLive settings tab, then tapping exit) and restarted Orb and it was all good again.
Thanks for helping me out, but, sadly, I gave this a shot and had no luck. I did everything you said. I even turned off my firewall thinking it may have been playing a role, but nothing. Why in the world would it work via their webpage and not the native app? This is what I find very strange.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Thanks for helping me out, but, sadly, I gave this a shot and had no luck. I did everything you said. I even turned off my firewall thinking it may have been playing a role, but nothing. Why in the world would it work via their webpage and not the native app? This is what I find very strange.
Yeah the fact that it works via the web but not the native app makes me think something is wrong with the app itself and not anything on your PC side. What fw are you running on your iPhone? Im running 1.1.3 and it seems to work great for me.
Maybe you should uninstall OrbLive and reinstall it and see if that makes a difference.
Anyway, sorry I couldnt help more firewire