Order of calendar alerts

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by iPutz, Sep 3, 2016.

1. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Is it just me or do others of you see this quirk the same way I do? This has been an odd characteristic of iOS for quite a while. Calendar alerts always seem to be in reverse order from what I would expect. How can the "Second Alert" be chronologically before the initial "Alert"??

IMG_7363.PNG

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I totally know what you mean. My Hide has been Chapped by this exact issue.

In your example above,

The “Alert” should read the earliest alert (i.e., “2 days before”)
    The “Second Alert” should read the later alert (i.e., “1 hour before”)

I thought I was the only one that was bugged by this.

#2 Rafagon, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I've submitted a bug report to Apple about this a couple of times over the last several years. Apparently, not enough people see it as a problem for them to take notice.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Actually, I’m glad it was you and not I who posted about this issue. Had I posted about it, I would’ve immediately been accused of, tried for, found guilty of, and sentenced to life for the horrific crime of having too much time on my hands. :D

Incidentally, the OS X version of Calendar has the same quirk, in that reminders are listed in reverse chronological order, but handles it a little bit better by not using the word “Second” before the word “Alert.” Also, you can add as many alerts as you like (in this example I’ve added three of them), but only the first two will sync up to your iOS devices. This in and of itself could also be considered a bug.

calendar.png

#4 Rafagon, Sep 4, 2016
  5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't see the problem. My first alert I set 2 hrs before. My second alert I set one day before. Works fine. The "first" and "second" designation has nothing to do with which alert comes first or second. It's how they are set. Some don't set a second alert.

#5 Ledsteplin, Sep 4, 2016
  6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Sadly, I've had this issue. It just takes extra steps to reorder the second alert and the first alert. It's annoying but I've been dealing with it. With every update I would hope for this to change but it never has. I just deal with it. I suppose not enough folks care or it just doesn't bother them.

Maybe they'll just completely overhaul the entire Calendar App.

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

The alerts work as expected they are just listed incorrectly. The problem stems from having to do the mental gymnastics to change the correct alert when I decide to do so and my "Mental" isn't very "Gymnastic" anymore. I'll sometimes set a 1day and 2 day alert sequence and when the 1 day alert comes up, change the alerts to 1hour and 2 hours because I'm so forgetful these days.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Let’s hope Sharunda is right and they give the iOS version of Calendar a complete overhaul.

I mean, seriously, Apple, if you let us set create an event on OS X Calendar with five alerts and then only sync two of them over to iOS, that’s a glaring bug in my book. That’s an incomplete sync. The user is expecting all five alerts to sync over to iOS.

The iOS device is the one that’s truly mobile and goes with you everywhere—all alerts need to sync over from OS X, not just the top two listed on the OS X event.

…And they should be listed in the order in which they will occur.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Well, this wasn’t fixed. I guess Apple doesn’t consider it “broken”.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not sure I consider this a bug. You have the option of inputting them in chronological order. If you don't add them this way, iOS doesn't reassign them, but they will still alert in chronological order. Just be sure to put them in chronological order if you want them to appear that way on the list.

11. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I tried again right now, and at least for me, it’s changing the order. I inputted “1 week before” for Alert, and afterwards, I inputted “2 days before” for Second Alert. It switched them on me, putting “2 days before” as “Alert” and “1 week before” as “Second Alert.” Yes, they will sound correctly, but the first one that will sound is displayed as “Second Alert”.

I suppose one could say it isn’t a bug, because they sound when they’re supposed to; however, they’re mislabeled.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

This is how I do my Dr visits. First alert is 2 hours before. Second alert is 1 day before. I've been doing it this way since day one. No problems. The first alert is closest to the event time. The second is secondary in importance to me and farthest back from the event time. Sometimes I don't use the second alert. The first suffices.
    [​IMG]

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I think the best thing Apple could do is let people choose which alert should be called “Alert” and which should be called “Second Alert.”

There are obviously two schools of thought on this issue and both have their merits.

I like the way you expressed it and I think you made an excellent argument: “The second is secondary in importance to me and farthest back from the event time.”

@iPutz, @Sharunda, and I seem to be prefer the way that’s opposite to how Apple implemented it:

@Europa and you (and probably a bunch of others who didn’t chime in) are in the other boat. :)

#13 Rafagon, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  14. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I guess I will have to agree with Rafagon in that it all depends on how one looks at it. Neither method is right or wrong depending you your point of view and I have gotten used to it so it is not really a big deal, just an oddity. Chances are if Apple ever changed the method to my way of looking at it, I would probably complain about that too simply because I'm an old fart and I generally don't like changes to long established routines.

Time to take out the Harley for some two wheel therapy.

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Look at it this way. Alert = main alert. Second alert = back up alert.

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I’m perfectly satisfied with the way I’m looking at it. I don’t need further guidance on my stance on this issue; it isn’t going to change. Let’s just agree to disagree. :D

Do you have a Harley you can take out for some two-wheel therapy like @iPutz? :) :D

… And I’ll head out for some Pokémon therapy tomorrow. It’s just as manly as riding a Harley. :cool:

#16 Rafagon, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016