Ordered 3G sold ordered another but had issue with AT&T

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
I ordered a phone last week, then shipped it out on same day I received it. Then went to AT&T tried to order another but they didn't seem to be happy. I said there is nothing in the contract saying I can't do that so why is of a problem, and I'm paying full price for it. I told her I bought first one at 299, made money on it and now I can order this one with money made.

She went to talk to a manager I guess and said ok just this one time! I said why does it matter? She told me to go to Apple store, I'm like wth. So I ordered another one.

Is there something I'm missing? because what I did with my other phone it's my businesss and why do they care? I almost wanna do it again just to exploit them and for someone to tell I can't do of and why. Some of my friends want iPhones but are with different carriers, maybe I'll order them some...

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
ugh, when u bought the first one you agreed to a 2 year contract. You're gonna have multiple lines in your name with extreme bills. You didn't pay full retail for the phone because they are not available at full retail. Seems like u paid the 2 year contract price for the 16gb. Full retail will be $699.99 for that same model.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
You need to keep playing stupid when you talk to them. Apple and AT&T are pissed off about people unlocking the phones before and spending all their money on AT&T recurring monthly accounts. It's pointless to try to reason with them. Just say whatever you need to to keep buying your phones and get out of there.

On the same topic. There are 2 obvious ways to make money off a 3G. I haven't checked in the last few days, but at one point new 3Gs were fetching $1000 on eBay. Buy one at the discount price, cancel your service and pay the early termination fee, or buy one at the no contract price. Either way, you make a few bucks reselling to (who are these people?) people on eBay or elsewhere willing to $1000. But AT&T has a policy to allow you out of a contract in an initial period pretty much no questions asked. This period is between 2 and 4 weeks, but I don't know precisely. What's to stop me from buying a phone from Apple at the discount price, signing up for service, then calling up AT&T a week later and saying "well, I can't get 3G most of the time, so no thanks." and just canceling the service. BUT KEEP THE PHONE? And sell it on eBay for 1 million dollars or whatever?

This isn't something I'm personally interested in doing. But just saying. I remember rumors of being automatically charged some fee if you do this, but I never saw that confirmed after the launch.

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
also, the first phone you bought and sold, it's in your name and you will be billed for it unless u cancel and pay early termination fee. Records of you establishing aervice will remain on file for 7 years so u won't be able to do that more than twice. 3rd time in one year it's gonna require a $150 deposit

yuuphone

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
You do realized you still have the pay $70 monthly for that line right? (unless you pay the early termination fee) You can't just purchase another iPhone 3G at the subsidized $299 price w/o signing a new contract to replace the one you've sold. Now, of course you could have 2 or 3 lines all by yourself but you just gotta pay for them all. I am also not sure how AT&T will react if you do decide to terminate your contract early and then try to sign a new 2 year contract to buy the iPhone at the cheaper price.

And yes AT&T will bill you or take your deposit (for new subscribers) if you cancel your service but didn't return the phone. They have your credit card number when you bought the iPhone so charging you is easy.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
You need to keep playing stupid when you talk to them. Apple and AT&T are pissed off about people unlocking the phones before and spending all their money on AT&T recurring monthly accounts. It's pointless to try to reason with them. Just say whatever you need to to keep buying your phones and get out of there.

On the same topic. There are 2 obvious ways to make money off a 3G. I haven't checked in the last few days, but at one point new 3Gs were fetching $1000 on eBay. Buy one at the discount price, cancel your service and pay the early termination fee, or buy one at the no contract price. Either way, you make a few bucks reselling to (who are these people?) people on eBay or elsewhere willing to $1000. But AT&T has a policy to allow you out of a contract in an initial period pretty much no questions asked. This period is between 2 and 4 weeks, but I don't know precisely. What's to stop me from buying a phone from Apple at the discount price, signing up for service, then calling up AT&T a week later and saying "well, I can't get 3G most of the time, so no thanks." and just canceling the service. BUT KEEP THE PHONE? And sell it on eBay for 1 million dollars or whatever?

This isn't something I'm personally interested in doing. But just saying. I remember rumors of being automatically charged some fee if you do this, but I never saw that confirmed after the launch.
If you cancel your service within 30 days, you cant keep the phone. If you don't return it, you will get charged FULL retail price for it. If you cancel after 30 days and pay the ETF, you can do whatever the hell you want with it. So...yes you will get automatically charged.

JFN

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Nor Cal
Nick is busy trying to get the phone back, look as this plan was not fully investigated. Good luck dude.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
What is the recourse if you tell AT&T that you lost your phone and need to replace the original one?

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
looks like we will find put what will happen when I will get the second phone activated. Just to clear thing up, I paid $299 for first phone $499 for second order. I didn't cancel anything just pulled put sim and shipped it to netharlands.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
out of curiosity, how much did you sell the first one for?

Mech

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
You could just enjoy your new phone and leave the AT&T employees alone. They are busy enough right now without jackasses constantly coming into their store, harassing them.

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
looks like we will find put what will happen when I will get the second phone activated. Just to clear thing up, I paid $299 for first phone $499 for second order. I didn't cancel anything just pulled put sim and shipped it to netharlands.
I hope u still have some money left because now that u don't have a phone to return, you have to pay $175 termination fee.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
He should be fine. He doesn't have a second line and he's not paying the ETF. Think of it this way, say he bought the phone and one week later it got stolen, he would then go to Apple and buy one at full price which is 399 & 499.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
You could just enjoy your new phone and leave the AT&T employees alone. They are busy enough right now without jackasses constantly coming into their store, harassing them.
I know. Why on earth would AT&T want to be selling phones? What a hassle.

Wait, you were being serious?

/facepalm

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
He should be fine. He doesn't have a second line and he's not paying the ETF. Think of it this way, say he bought the phone and one week later it got stolen, he would then go to Apple and buy one at full price which is 399 & 499.
yes true, but I would recommend that he don't sell the second one because the 3rd time he does it they will require a deposit

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
I know. Why on earth would AT&T want to be selling phones? What a hassle.

Wait, you were being serious?

/facepalm
What he's saying is just enjoy the phone instead of tryin to run a scam.

iprncess

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
How is he running a scam?

He sold the first for a profit and purchased a second. Probably under the same plan but for the no contract price.

I had an issue with my brother letting me use his upgrade to get my iPhone and them not wanting to put the iPhone plan on my account because my phone number wasn't eligible for an upgrade. I went to a second location and the guy did it no problem. Talked to someone else at the store I normally go to when I went in to buy a screen protector and she said " some of the employees are acting as if it's a big deal because not even the ATT employees can buy the phone just yet. Some of us are taking it a little personally. Truth is, it is just a phone and if you want to money the money it will cost to get it and activate a 2 year agreement that is all ATT corp. really cares about.

Mech

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
What he's saying is just enjoy the phone instead of tryin to run a scam.
Yeah that and let AT&T have a chance to get people's orders filled. They obviously want to sell the phone, but everytime I walk into the AT&T store now, they are super busy. I bet they could do without people going in and arguing about "wtf why can't I get another phone? It's not in the contract!"

Anyway, I guess it's none of my businesss, and good luck to your profiteering.

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
AT&T stores fullfill the DR orders first so how is he taking away other orders. His store obviously has enough phones

Mech

Bronze
Jul 15, 2008
I suppose. I'd still just rather enjoy my phone and play around with it, rather than going through the trouble. That's just my opinion I guess.

Sorry.