Ordered a Mini, having second thoughts...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dre180, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Dre180

Dre180 Member
    Bronze

Hey all,

As my title states i'm having second thoughts about the mini I ordered and if I made the right decision. I have never owned an iPad. I've Always wanted to, but could never justify having one as I've always had an iPhone and MBP. Now that i'll be replacing the MBP with a new iMac shortly, I feel like there is a void and the ipad would be a good fit. This is basically going to be for couch/bed use doing mostly browsing, book reading etc. I always liked the idea of having a lighter, more portable ipad, and that is a BIG selling point for me. probably the single most important one. That being said, I am unsure if the lack of a retina screen is going to be a deal-breaker for me after being accustomed to it for some time now.

What's also giving me reservations is the fact that for the first time my iPhone 4 is starting to show it's age. With iOS 6 It is definitely starting to feel dated. It's froze on many occasions and not been smooth like i've been used to. I have NEVER experienced that during my five years using iOS previously. I'm pretty sure the A5 is showing it's age and I'm concerned that the ipad mini may have that issue as well. I do consider myself a power user, so I am concerned the mini will feel underpowered for certain tasks. In the end it's not that big a deal, as I can always swap the mini for the 4 if needed...

I know none of you can make a decision for me, but would appreciate some feedback and if you think the ipad 4 will be a better fit for me? Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions...

2. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

My .02 follows:

I think that for what you describe your usage as it will be fine.. Web browsing, book reading, email, couch / bed lounging.. The A5 will do well with that usage and will probably be fine with most non graphic intensive games like Angry Birds, cut the rope, ect..

I purchased a new iPod Touch 5th Gen with the A5 chip and iOS 6 and I have no issues at all with my usage..

If I were in your shoes, I probably would have done the same as while the iMac is nice, it's stuck in whatever spot you place it. I have a 2011 13" MacBook Air so I use it for lounging on the couch ext.. If I did not have the Air, I would have gotten a Mini for exactly the same use as you describe.

As far as the retina goes, I do think you will notice a difference.. I was in the Apple store the other day and played with a 13" MacBook Pro Retina and now it has made the screen on my 13" Air look like it's from the stone age.. I will not however pay $1700 for a 13" Laptop so I am sticking with my Air.

In my opinion, the mini is perfect if you want ultimate portability and the iPad 4 is perfect if you want decent portability and the retina screen.. It all boils down to which is more a important feature for you..

You have 14-days to decide if you like it or not, so try it out and if it does not fit your needs just return it for a refund..

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It sounds like it will be perfect for what you want to use it for. You can test it for a couple weeks and return it if you don't end up liking it. I sold my iPad 3 and ordered a mini because I wanted a tablet that's lighter.

4. ClarkKent724

ClarkKent724 Member
    Bronze

I was debating starting a thread just like this the other day. Right after I pre-ordered I started thinking, maybe I should have just waited. My concern is for when the iPad Mini with retina display comes out, how easy will be it be to unload the non retina version? I don't own an iPad, this will be my first, and when I was looking at the 2 and 3 the other day at the Apple store I could really tell a difference in the screens.

I pre-ordered the black 32 GB version and I'm debating playing with it a few days and returning it, or maybe even just selling it. I'm still up in the air! However, I absolutely love the idea of portability, lightness, lounging on couch, traveling with it, etc.

5. Dre180

Dre180 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the replies, i'm just going to have to wait and see. As you guys mentioned, I'm sure it will be more than fine for my intended use. I'll have to see if that screen will bother me or not. I only did the pre-order bc I knew the shipping times would slip, and I don't want to do the wait in line thing. In other words, I'm impatient! Glad to hear I'm not the only one having reservations! But you're absolutely right if it doesn't work for us, we can exchange, sell it. No big deal

6. ClarkKent724

ClarkKent724 Member
    Bronze

So my Mini is on the way, but now I'm really having second thoughts since I'm reading that Google "announced" updates to the Nexus 7 and introduced the Nexus 10 today! I think the Apple ecosystem will always keep me loyal to Apple though. Nobody can compare with the app store right?

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I got excited about the mini for a bit and then realized how much I'd be giving up (I have an iPad 3) to get a lighter iDevice. I'll be content with what I have.

8. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Zealot
    Bronze

I consider the Apple stuff like a Honda vehicle, they don't depreciate as much as a PC, I just sold my iPad 2 for close to what I paid for it, and I just looked up how much I can get for my iPhone 4 which is close to what I paid and my iPad 1st gen which can garner me a fair amount of cash as well.

9. Dre180

Dre180 Member
    Bronze

I certainly hear you there. If I owned a larger iPad I probably wouldn't be considering a mini either. Here is the thing. I am a tech junkie. I've been holding out on an iPad for a very long time, which for someone like myself who loves gadgets and tech is no easy task! But my main criteria for owning one is to use it before bed, when I travel etc. I thought that the small size and light weight would be ideal for those uses. And it most likely will be. However, I just keep having this gut feeling I will be disappointed in the screen resolution (not implying it will be bad however). The processor I can live with more since it's not pushing a retina screen. I truly think it will be sufficient there. I'll definitely give it a fair chance when it gets here. I just have a feeling i'm going to wind up with the larger ipad. Better question is if I do should i just buy a refurb 3rd gen? For $40 more than the mini that is a bargain. And what am I really losing with that instead of the 4. Processor, quad core graphics, and lightning? I can live with that.

Same here. I will never vibe with Android in its current form. I still find it way too sloppy and fragmented for my taste, and that's without including the ecosystem. Apple never won consumers on specs. It's always been the user experience they've had right. They still do. If someone is going to lure me from Apple, it's going to take a lot. Not to say it won't ever happen, but I can't see it being anytime soon.

Either way, I'm very surprised how much hate the iPad mini is garnering on the net. I've had enough of the Apple haters which quite frankly has gotten way out of control. These people clearly take a LOT of time out of their day to come on Apple forums and complain. I don't get it. Sure there are prob way too many articles on every little thing Apple does, but guess what. That's what happens when you are the most popular company. As much as I dislike Android, and I have from day 1, you will never catch me on an Android forum putting that product down. I just don't buy it. Simple as that.

10. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Must "touch an feel" before making any sort of decision. That's just me though.

11. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

You can't compare the iPad2 display with the mini . It's not the same pixel and iPadMini has the new type glass.
    I couldn't wait to get lighter thinner iPad. When they intoduced iPad3 I was tempted but opted for no. Since it got thicker and heavier again.
    I got the mini for a sort of hold over till the next update is announced.
    I have a famiy and I pass on the mini to son.
    In the end you have to deside what you need/want.
    iPad is to heavy bulky on couch and in bed for me. Yeah Retina is nice for Photos and working with editing of such etc.
    For what I will use the mini it's not really a must.
    I will 100% upgrade next update if the mini has retina and if the iPad is thinner and lighter I get both.