ordered my first iPhone, seeking newbie advice

stevensondrive

Bronze
Jun 11, 2009
I am on my second Motorola Q. They keep locking up! :( so I decided to take the leap to the i technology. I preordered a 16gb 3gs.

I like the fact I have access to more applications. I would like to edit my contacts on my computer, use the iPhone to listen to tunes using my auxilliary jack in my truck, and well games :laugh2:. I am a shift worker so the calendar is very important to me.

can you point me to a source for applications, preferably free?

should I "highjack" my new phone?

what is the best way to insure the phone?

any more suggestions for a newbie? :cool:

Steve

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
make sure to setup an iTunes account before the phone arrives. You will need to have a credit card on file. All of your music, applications and other media can be purchased on iTunes or directly from your phone. I have never jailbroken my iPhone and really don't see a reason to do it. It will void your warranty if you mess your phone up in the process

stevensondrive

Bronze
Jun 11, 2009
I already have an ipod so I got an account. Love the ipod and the wife loves hers. thanks for the advice! the idea of jailbreaking my phone makes me nervous. I am glad I am not the only one.

thanks again!
Steve

Adam1389

Silver
Nov 20, 2008
Ilwaco, WA
Any damage done by jailbreaking is undoable through a full restore. When you go to the app store, just click on whatever category of app you are looking for, and go to the free section of it.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
you don't need to jailbreaking and you don't need any apps. You load your music in iTunes and you put your contacts and schedule info in either Outlook or whatever comes with a Mac. Be prepared for awesomeness.

FrankieG889D

Bronze
Mar 23, 2009
I've jailbroken my iPhone, and it was worth it.. mainly because i was able to take video and play around with my springboard.. Pretty cool features when you jailbreak your phone... The only setback is that you have to wait for a jailbroken of the next update comes out, otherwise when you upgrade you lose your jailbreak...

Also jailbreaking did mess around with my phones settings a little, but a full restore fixed that problem.

I probably won't jailbreak the 3Gs unless there is something else offered that im interested in...

Each to their own though!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
As far as insuring the phone, the best bet is probably Mobile Me. It will show you the location of the lost/stolen/misplaced phone. AT&T has a service for this as well but it's more expensive and doesn't have the additional benefits mobile me does.

stevensondrive

Bronze
Jun 11, 2009
As far as insuring the phone, the best bet is probably Mobile Me. It will show you the location of the lost/stolen/misplaced phone. AT&T has a service for this as well but it's more expensive and doesn't have the additional benefits mobile me does.
I heard that insurance companies like State Farm are the most reasonable. I insured my laptop for a year for $30. I believe there is no deductible. I will check into it.....