Ordering at Apple.com but doing a upgrade swap at AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by trido, Sep 13, 2012.

1. trido

trido Member
    Bronze

I called Apple last nite told them I have ATT and want to order iPhone 5 on one of my lines that has full upgrade,
    But want to take that phone and before turning it on go to ATT and put it on one of my other lines.
    APPLE said fine no issues doing that, has anyone done this.

Thanks

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I do this every year and this year too
    Problem is you still have to wait at AT&T store at release date
    I just moved here and am not certain how crazy release date is?
    last year the system went down just as it was my turn

3. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I'm going to do this. I'm actually creating a new line on my family plan to do it. I was told either I could go into AT&T or call them to have the iPhone 5 swapped to my phone number. I will have to alter the new account though to a plain non data line. It should be no problem to do for you.

4. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

imutter
    You waited at the AT&T store to swap your phones? You never called? I was told that I could call to have this done. I did this with Verizon and I called them to do it.

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Call release day ?
    I was told to go to the store ?
    Anyway I am calling AT&T now to see if they bump my sons line too so we both get the phone at the same time

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

imutter Good Luck! I hope they bump your sons line up so you can get the iPhone for him as well.

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Sharunda as if I had luck ?
    It may be a good thing they can't do nothing for me.

8. {StatuSChecKa}

{StatuSChecKa} Contributor
    Silver

You don't HAVE to wait until release day at AT&T to do this. Just take out the SIM card that came with it (to avoid accidental activation), and wait a few days till things die down. I live in a city with 70,000 population and we have THREE AT&T store locations (one being a big main store).
    So you must have a few options in your city, and its not a dier situation.

PS. I'm glad this thread popped up cause I was looking for a way about doing this. Basically what I learned is that you just need to get the phone in your hands, and AT&T will take care of the rest in person. (OR you can just chop up your current SIM card to make it fit, my sim card is LTE compatable)

9. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

My wife and I swap phones every year... I get the new phone and she takes my old one. But I was curious, since I am using her line to upgrade this year. Once i get the phone, can't I just hook it up to iTunes and set up as me. Do I really have to go to the AT&T Store?

10. {StatuSChecKa}

Silver

Yes cause the sim card will be in HER number. And these are NEW NANO sim cards so you cant just swap it...(just cut it)
    Even if they can do this over the phone somehow the phone lines are always jammed around this time. Just go to a ATT store before closing, or take a late lunch at like 3pm.

When iPhone was released during the summer that was killer because the kids would be at the store all day, never a slow moment.

11. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Thanks Man.. I will.

12. Lamacja

Lamacja New Member

We have done this many times. It's really not a big deal to AT&T. I would say as far as getting the sim cards swapped so your line has he nano one. You should be able to do this at any authorized dealer for your carrier not just at the store. Best buy, target(as long as you end up with a knowledgeable person, some of them are dumb about it) and an AT&T authorized dealer we have that I use the most called spring mobile have all done it for me.

13. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I use a different line to upgrade every year but with the new sim I may just wait in line since I'll have to make the trip anyway if I preorder. I would feel better about getting the right sim instead of cutting on one.

14. trido

trido Member
    Bronze

Well does the nano sim card stay blank unused when it ships in the new iPhone 5?Until phone is activated?
    Was thinking I call ATT before turning phone on to switch it to another line?
    Or is the sim locked to the phone number of the new phone?
    thanks

15. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

i called AT&T store by my house and I am using my other 2 eligible lines to upgrade my 2 primary lines (me and my wife)....

they said just bring the IP5 and other iPhone 4 to the store and they will get it all switched out...can't call but have to go to store...

so i will be doing that next Friday after I get my 2 IP5s

16. {StatuSChecKa}

Silver

yes as I said in another thread, any run of the mill AT&T store should be able to do this, find one not flooded with fanboys.
    But you must go to a store.