Original iPad vs Kindle Fire

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Adenney23

Feb 13, 2011
I know there are multiple sites that compare and contrast the iPad vs Kindle Fire. However, I am wanting to compare for a specific purpose. I know the resell value of my original iPad (32gb wifi only) is about to severely drop with the iPad 3 coming out. I use my iPad for almost strictly ebooks (usually through the Kindle App) and occasional web browsing. I have some productivity apps, but rarely use them. I use my iPhone 4 for most of my emailing, which id the only work-related task I need on the go. I have the opportunity for a free Kindle Fire, and I am wanting to upgrade my HP to a MacBook Pro soon with the money I make from my selling my iPad. Would this be a wise or stupid mistake? Thank you for your advice.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Since the Fire is free, why not try it and if you'd rather spend more, then sell that to partial finance an iPad 3.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

Adenney23

Feb 13, 2011
Thanks for everyone's response. I decided to sell my iPad and go with the Kindle Fire. It does everything I need it to once I compared what I actually use the iPad for and what it does versus the Kindle Fire. Thank you for your responses.

riffdex

Bronze
Feb 19, 2011
Im wondering how cheap ill be able to get an iPad 1 after the iPad 3 is released. Id love one just for checking email and reading ebooks but im a cheapskate, and i also have no need for any of the extra features offered in the iPad 2 (or at least not willing to pay the higher cost for these features) and unless iPad 3 has some really amazing unexpected features im sure ill be fine with the iPad 1. Since i got my iPhone i rarely even use my computer anymore but one of the main problems i have is using my phone to check email bc it is too small and i haven't even attempted to read ebooks more than a few minutes on the phone, i just gave up on that idea. I figure its mostly speculation at this pnt but anyone have an idea what used iPads will be going for after iPad 3 comes? What do original products usually sell for when the 3rd gen one is released? Im hoping to spend like $150 max for an iPad 1 (this is next year after iPad 3 comes) but maybe im being too optimistic?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Setting craigslist posts for a 16gb wifi at $350. Would agree that $150 for this unit in mint condition would be tremendous.

Sent from my mobilephone using Tapatalk

riffdex

Bronze
Feb 19, 2011
Now now i didn't say anything about mint condition... Im a cheapskate remember (; But i don't think $150 is too farfetched... Since iPhone 4S release iPhone 3GS currently going for about $150 on ebay w/o contract... Originally was $600 unsubsidized but now $150. Thats the 2 models ago version of the iPhone so it is comparable to iPad imo. Compared to the iPad 3 im sure the original iPad will seem like a 3GS as its missing a lot of the newer features etc that im sure the iPad 3 will have. As i said im not looking for mint condition so maybe ill get a good deal on one that is in "fair" condition. I may be willing to go up to $200, i guess it just depends on how bad i want it vs am i willing to wait a few more months to save a few bucks. :)

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Now now i didn't say anything about mint condition... Im a cheapskate remember (; But i don't think $150 is too farfetched... Since iPhone 4S release iPhone 3GS currently going for about $150 on ebay w/o contract... Originally was $600 unsubsidized but now $150. Thats the 2 models ago version of the iPhone so it is comparable to iPad imo. Compared to the iPad 3 im sure the original iPad will seem like a 3GS as its missing a lot of the newer features etc that im sure the iPad 3 will have. As i said im not looking for mint condition so maybe ill get a good deal on one that is in "fair" condition. I may be willing to go up to $200, i guess it just depends on how bad i want it vs am i willing to wait a few more months to save a few bucks. :)
ummm, if your willing to spend $200, why buy a used old iPad when you can buy a new kindle fire that will do what you want and it has a higher resolution and it's new plus more useable size.

riffdex

Bronze
Feb 19, 2011
Why buy an Apple (no pun intended) when i can buy an orange for the same price? Because i don't want an orange. :)

You said the size is more usable... More usable for me would mean bigger screen, so imo iPad beats kindle on size. My whole point in wanting a tablet is bc my iPhone is too small. I want a tablet with the same OS, same apps, same infrastructure, same everything, just with a larger screen. Android is a fine OS, but i do prefer iOS.

lemoon

Bronze
Oct 28, 2010
yeah, since the Kindle fire is free, I think get the Kindle Fire and update to the MacBook Pro is a good choice. :)