Original iPhone shows "Connect To iTunes" after trying to update OS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rickstermar555, Dec 18, 2011.

1. rickstermar555

rickstermar555 New Member

Hello Everyone,

I was using my original iPhone (1st generation) as an Ipod Touch. I figured why not try to update it to the new OS.
    Now I'm stuck with the "Connect to iTunes" logo. My PC won't detect the phone either. It doesn't go to the HOME screen.

I tried calling Apple Support, but they would charge me $29.99 just to talk to them.

How do I restore my old iPhone to the previous OS if I can't go to the HOME screen?
    What is the latest OS that I would need to download to be compatible with my 1st generation phone?
    What kind of 3rd party software is needed as well if I need it?

Thank you.

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm in the same boat as you. I recently wanted to start using my original iPhone again (giving it to my mom and assigning my second line in the AT&T family plan to it). The phone is stuck in that screen and nothing seems to help. Eventually, someone at AT&T transferred me to the "Apple Care" department and I was told to go to an AT&T store and ask them for a "cold SIM card" (one that's never been used before) for me to put into the iPhone. I haven't done that yet so I can't guarantee it would work, but it's an idea to keep in mind. I'm planning to call AT&T again and ask them to mail it me. They've mailed me a SIM card before free of charge. Whether it was "cold" or not I don't know...

3. rickstermar555

Thanks. I'm going to go the AT&T in 2 hours to get a "Cold sim card" and report back.

4. rickstermar555

I ended up using another USB cord (my brother's) to connect to my PC and it worked! It got my iPhone out of the emergency screen. Note: My phone wasn't in recovery mode, but it did have "Connect To iTunes" logo.

If anything, try using another USB connector, that might just work.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Good for you! Thank you for sharing. I'll check it out!

6. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

The last OS that will run on your original iPhone is 3.1.3, which was released a couple of years ago. Apple stopped supporting the original iPhone with OS updates at that time because of the age of the device (and limited hardware that wouldn't gracefully run newer versions of iOS anyway).

As for the connect to iTunes screen, with the slider for emergency calls, it is awaiting activation. It needs an activated AT&T sim card in it, and to be connected to a computer (with a working cable ;)). Then it will contact Apple to see if it is an active iPhone line (or at least was previously active), or if it needs to set one up. This is where you could set up the iPhone on a family plan line - insert their SIM card (if it's active) and follow the prompts in iTunes. You'll go through the setup process that extends the contract by 2 years and adds the iPhone data ($20) onto the line.

A side note, the last time I did this (last year), the line was grandfathered into unlimited data. Neat little workaround there...