Original iPhone to be obsolete on June 11th?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Napoleon PhoneApart, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Could it be? It looks like starting on June 11, 2013, you won't be able to get it serviced or repaired, thus making it obsolete.

#1 Napoleon PhoneApart, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2013
  2. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Mine sits in a boombox on a tall dresser in my daughter's room in nearly pristine condition. The battery is probably pretty shot on it, but I wouldn't know as I never move it. I don't feel it owes me anything at this point but I'll never get rid of it, even if it stops working.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

That's not stupid. What may be stupid is my buying a forty-year-old calculator from eBay. :D

#3 Napoleon PhoneApart, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It is a bit sad to see the original iPhone going obsolete. I remember that release day, first in line at the AT&T store in Lanham, Md, chatting with this teenage kid who was second in line. My sister showed up halfway through the afternoon and brought me a cold drink and stood with me the rest of the time. I think the store closed at 4:00 and reopened at 6:30, letting in five customers at a time. I was first in, first out, and got a round of applause as I left the AT&T store with my new iPhone.

#4 Napoleon PhoneApart, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  5. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I wish I'd kept my 16GB 3G as well. Not nearly as special as a 2G of course. I sold it to a friend in need who had destroyed his in a mishap with the stipulation that if he ever got rid of it I'd have first dibs. He destroyed it before he had the chance to offer it back to me. The boy is rough on his stuff. I do have the 8GB 3G my sister sold to my mother when upgrading to the four. I ended up trading my 4 to my mom for that 3G as gesture of goodwill and proof that I'm not as ruthless as my sister. :D Plus, I wanted it as a keepsake.

Stupid? Maybe. More importantly, did it make you happy? Did it fill a hole inside you? There are things I'd love to own again that I lost a long time ago. Things that would fill a hole. A 1st edition of Deities and Demigods is one of them, just in case you ever consider selling. :)

#5 Kadelic, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  6. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I think Apple keeps product lines active for repair much longer than your average tech company. I remember trying to get a warranty exchange and/or repair from Kensington when my AssistOne died less than a year after buying it (which was less than a year after it was introduced) and it was discontinued... they could do nothing but offer me another product or a refund! I made them buy existing stock from a retailer because they didn't have any of their own stock nor any comparable products. Ridiculous.

I digress... my point is that's not irony, Europa.

7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I agree. Apple has been very supportive of their products.

8. psylichon

psylichon Genius

I just wish you could install old versions of apps from the Appstore. At least to be able to go back to the last working version on a now-unsupported operating system. Being on 3.1.3 is, um... a bit limiting these days, we'll say. Even jailbroken it kinda sucks.

Had I known I'd have saved those IPAs.

9. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Are we on the same website? ;)

#9 psylichon, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I've been spending time on Android forums lately. This site is absolutely sedated compared to those. :D

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Mine sits in a sleeve case in box of misfit phones on my shelf.

I agree w/ Dave. My kid loves Netflix and she uses the iPad 1. The last update is painfully slow. Like her father, she has zero patience for technology that doesn't deliver now, now, now.