OS 4.0 setting Springboard Wallpaper?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Can someone who’s installed 4.0 beta tell me how the Springboard Wallpaper is set. I’ve got the beta installed and am on a 3G and when I try to set the Wallpaper, I only get a Set and Cancel button. The screen shots show there should be other options for the Lock Screen and Home Screen.

Are the wallpaper options only available on the 3GS?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Can someone who’s installed 4.0 beta tell me how the Springboard Wallpaper is set. I’ve got the beta installed and am on a 3G and when I try to set the Wallpaper, I only get a Set and Cancel button. The screen shots show there should be other options for the Lock Screen and Home Screen.

Are the wallpaper options only available on the 3GS?
I have a 3gs but will see if I can help. Go into the wallpaper setting and find whatever you would like to have as your home screen, lock screen, or both. Even though it says cancel or set choose set and it should bring up the options of set home screen, lock screen or both

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
It only saves the photo as the Lock Screen wallpaper. It doesn’t bring up any other options once I tap Set.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Hmm I even tried it in photos to see if it was any different there, it wasn't. This wasn't a feature specifically left out for the 2g/3g owners but I guess we will have to wait for someone with a 3g to test it for you. I would hope they wouldn't make this a device specific feature since it has nothing to do with the hardware, but they did give the battery percentage to the 3gs only so who knows. Maybe it is just a bug on your device or a bug in the 3g ipsw.

Try restarting your device and see if that resolves it

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
The iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G will NOT be capable of a home screen wallpaper. Why? Don't know. The iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G have it just fine. This must be one of those features that aren't compatible with earlier devices (just like multitasking for some reason).

I'll still be jailbreaking when one comes out. I need a wallpaper, and I need multitasking. BossPaper and Backgrounder are still needed by me.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
The iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G will NOT be capable of a home screen wallpaper. Why? Don't know. The iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G have it just fine. This must be one of those features that aren't compatible with earlier devices (just like multitasking for some reason).

I'll still be jailbreaking when one comes out. I need a wallpaper, and I need multitasking. BossPaper and Backgrounder are still needed by me.
I think that’s bulls**t (not that I don’t believe you, but that Apple would limit it to 3GS only). I refuse to believe it’s a hardware limitation that prevents a picture from being displayed on the Home Screen. I can believe multitasking might be a problem but if jailbroken 3G phones can do it, why can’t Apple allow it?

They’d better come out with some pretty impressive new hardware this summer or I may be tempted to go to the Android phone.

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
Well, remember when Apple said that the iPhone 2G couldn't do MMS due to hardware limitations? MuscleNerd proved them wrong. Hopefully a jailbreak will enable native home screen wallpaper(s).

I'm totally with you on switching to Android. The iPhone OS has basically been the same since it was first released. 4.0 isn't special. It's still far behind Android, and even webOS. Heck, WP7S does a little bit more.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Well, remember when Apple said that the iPhone 2G couldn't do MMS due to hardware limitations? MuscleNerd proved them wrong. Hopefully a jailbreak will enable native home screen wallpaper(s).
Doing themes was one of the first things jail broken phones could do, it's common knowledge that home screen wallpapers are possible. I used to have one.

I'm just skeptical of any statement that says something simple can't be done because of hardware limitations.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think you mean SB wallpaper. Lockscreen photo customization has been supported since the 2G.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Did you guys hit set on the "Cancel" Or "Set" Screen? After that it asks you which one you want. I just saw that in a video.. maybe it helps.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Did you guys hit set on the "Cancel" Or "Set" Screen? After that it asks you which one you want. I just saw that in a video.. maybe it helps.
You cant set it on the 3G. I guess Apple are holding back features so people upgrade

ed2438

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 9, 2010
El Paso, TX
I just set my homescreen wallpaper to whatever i want. There is a slight bug in the system. You cant go through the photos app. you have to go through Settings>Wallpaper, and select the picture. then, move and scale and press set. then it gives the option of 1. set home screen, 2. set lockscreen, 3. set both, 4. cancel. This worked for me.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I just set my homescreen wallpaper to whatever i want. There is a slight bug in the system. You cant go through the photos app. you have to go through Settings>Wallpaper, and select the picture. then, move and scale and press set. then it gives the option of 1. set home screen, 2. set lockscreen, 3. set both, 4. cancel. This worked for me.
On a 3G? I only have my 3GS with me now so I cant check.