OS X 10.10 Yosemite - Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

(1) I hate the little circle with initials that appears in Mail when you don't have a contact card with a photo set up for a give e-mail sender's e-mail address.

In my case, it works particularly lousy for businesses. Since I have "Show First Name" set to "Following last name," it gives me these meaningless bubbles for businesses, like the one shown here:

Screen_Shot_2014-10-17_at_8_18_15_PM_copy.jpg (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

They should have an option to disable this bubble when there's no contact card with a photo for a given e-mail address. It really doesn't help me at all to "visualize" Papa John's to see "JP" in a circle. I'm not about to make a contact card for Papa.

(2) The Favorites Bar in Safari is now centered below the address bar, instead of left-aligned. I don't like it.

(3) That the address bar in Safari defaulted to the "dumbed-down" version of URLs (i.e. just the main part of the URL before the first forward slash that occurs in the URL), just like in iOS 8. Luckily they did give us an option to enable the good-ole full URL display. But that should have been the default, with perhaps an "Easy URL" option that one could opt into.

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

People with pet peeves about Yosemite. :)

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I think all of the new features outweigh any pet peeves about Yosemite. It's a much awaited release.

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

well your first mistake is receiving emails from papa johns.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  5. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Ya Gmail has been doing that for a while now and I dislike it as well. At least on Gmail it can be turned off...

6. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Why don't you just indicate it's a company name? This way it uses the company name instead of first and last name.

ContactsScreenSnapz003.jpg

7. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I'm waiting for the .1 release before I upgrade. How would the company name change, if at all, when one uses the contact name sort option that Rafagon prefers … as do I?

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It changes the order of the letters that it places in the "bubble." For example, in this e-mail from "CAKE Music," the bubble shows "MC" for me (and it would do the same for you, since you have it set the same way as I) instead of "CM."

CM.jpg

My pet peeve was that I wish there were a way to turn off these pointless "bubbles with initials." I don't see how they help. I can read the name of the sender. I just checked, and the Mail app on iOS 8 isn't doing this.

I do like ZR_Yancy's suggestion, and I don't want to add dozens of contact cards, but for those few companies from which I receive e-mail updates regularly—email updates that I may actually be interested in, like the one above—I can probably do it.

With his suggestion, instead of seeing two letters in the bubble, the bubble has the generic "building" icon, which is much more desirable... for me, anyways.

Update: I spoke too soon. Adding a contact card for an e-mail sender does not change the two letters to a building icon when viewing e-mails from that sender. It will give you the generic building icon in the Contacts app, but apparently only there:

ccc.jpg

#8 Rafagon, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you for replying! I liked your suggestion, and it should work, in theory, but it isn't for me. I restarted Mail app but no dice. I'm still getting a bubble with letters. This may be a bug. I don't see why Apple would want it to behave like that. I'm gonna have to throw in a picture for the contact, like maybe the band's logo, and that should definitely do it.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

To whomever may still be reading this thread...

Papa's got a brand new contact card.

PJP2.jpg (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

As you can see, if you add a photo to the contact card, it finally displays in an acceptable manner, without a pointless "PJ" or "JP" in a gray bubble.

However, the logo is now so tiny that you can barely see the spaces between the letters in "John's." (I also had to save the .JPG at slightly less than the highest quality, because the file was too large for the forum to accept. So it actually looks a bit better than what you're seeing in the screenshot, but not much.) Gonna need to get one of those new retina iMacs with 5K resolution to solve that problem.

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That's awesome it now shows the photo. That's one thing I don't like on the iPhone. It'll just say PH or whatever.

12. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I like your thought process that leads to justifying getting a new machine. Well played!!!

13. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I must have something set differently than you. For me, it doesn't show PJ or the contact picture I added:

IMG_0246.PNG (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I'm referring to when texting someone who you haven't added a photo for.

15. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

There's a hack to get rid of it. Google "white.jpg" and click on the first result, save the photo of pure whiteness to your camera roll, then assign it to that contact. You'll then have white space instead of initials:

blank_contact_photo.jpg

16. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Oh it's not a big deal but I think it should at least say the full first name.

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

but then you have to add every company that sends you email to your contacts. not exactly practical.

18. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Clearing browser history deletes all stored cookies.. Like this forums login.

I can't find a way to clear history and save cookies..

19. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Did that in Mavericks too.

I did it by History > Show History > Select something > Select all > Delete

#19 Zanthe, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

This pet peeve is not about OS X itself, but it's about iTunes 12, which came with OS X...

The sidebar is gone. You cannot display your list of connected devices while also displaying your music. It's one or the other, but not both.